DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to turn off HDR in panoramas?

nicefromabove

Reactions
I love the auto panorama feature but sometimes the HDR post processing is too much and it looks unnatural. Any way to turn the HDR off but still do auto panoramas? I haven't seen an option or setting anywhere.

I love the auto panorama feature but sometimes the HDR post processing is too much and it looks unnatural. Any way to turn the HDR off but still do auto panoramas? I haven't seen an option or setting anywhere.
What makes you think it is HDR? The originals can be saved independently as either JPG or DNG. However, they are not HDR images. Stitch them yourself any way you like, if you are unhappy with the DJI stitch.

The auto stitch panorama algorithm uses the same 26 images that you can save yourself in DNG or JPG. It is not taking multiple photos of the same image. There is no user control over the so called "HDR" Panorama algorithm. It is what it is. Save the DNG's and stitch them in any third party program any way you like.

Reactions: nicefromabove
From my perspective, I'd like to turn HDR off in the universe.

HDR = Horribly Dark Rubbish

Ever since the HDR craze started, the movies from my various streaming services all seem to come in too dark.

In what circumstances does HDR actually add any value?

Thx

From my perspective, I'd like to turn HDR off in the universe.

HDR = Horribly Dark Rubbish

Ever since the HDR craze started, the movies from my various streaming services all seem to come in too dark.

In what circumstances does HDR actually add any value?

Thx

When the histogram is spiked on both ends. i.e. Blown highlights and blocked darks.

HDR is not a problem. Actual HDR is simply a capture method. What people (and DJI) CALL HDR is actually tone mapping from an HDR capture. Bad tone mapping is the problem.

You have probably seen a lot of great HDR shots but don't know it because they weren't processed to look crunchy.

Reactions: CountryGuy
When the histogram is spiked on both ends. i.e. Blown highlights and blocked darks.

HDR is not a problem. Actual HDR is simply a capture method. What people (and DJI) CALL HDR is actually tone mapping from an HDR capture. Bad tone mapping is the problem.

You have probably seen a lot of great HDR shots but don't know it because they weren't processed to look crunchy.
Agreed. There is realistic HDR and stylistic HDR. The former is a photographic technique, while the latter is artistic in nature. However, it's not crunchiness, which is related to over sharpening of an image. It is unrealistic colors and flattening of the dynamic range, leaving no shadows or highlights remaining in the image.

The auto stitch panorama algorithm uses the same 26 images that you can save yourself in DNG or JPG. It is not taking multiple photos of the same image. There is no user control over the so called "HDR" Panorama algorithm. It is what it is. Save the DNG's and stitch them in any third party program any way you like.
Thanks for this! I'll give that a try and see how it comes out and compare it to the DJI created one.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks for this! I'll give that a try and see how it comes out and compare it to the DJI created one.
They aren't mutually exclusive. I use the DJI created one as a test print, to see if it is worth stitching manually, to create a HiRes version. On the Mavic 3, the DJI created HiRes 50 MB stitch is as good as any I might create myself, complete with a cloned in ceiling! I rarely need to stitch it myself, unless the subject was very difficult to stitch automatically.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000