DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it possible to use the drone for shade?

Ben Noah Gaya

Reactions
May be I'm a bit off, but I fly my mavic air mainly for videos of my baby twins adventures with me.

This summer we've spend a lot of time at the beach.
And I've been battling with the sun, sunscreen and what not (in public beach here the lifeguards field of view is limited so umbrellas are 10 meters from the waterline and is a no shade zone, understandable safety mesure).

When building castles in the sand on the water line at high noon, I've had the idea of using the drone to hover with an attachment of course to shade a certain person and follow him as well, may be an added option for gesture control?

Mind the sand for finding a good place to take off and land, and the fact droning in public beaches are still legal and it's a accident waiting to happen.

Seriously is there an app for that or only dji are capable to program something like that?

I've haven't searched what the commercial drone industry is doing may be it's used some how like that?

• Flying near and directly over people
  • Most "Consumer Grade" sUAS have little to no "Reserve Power" to be able to lift, maintain and safely maneuver anything that would be large enough to provide sunshade to a person.
  • Flying in usually gusty winds
  • Flying routinely in salty environment
  • Flying routinely in sandy environment
  • Flying with an attachment that will change the dynamics of flight & stability
  • Only have up to 28min of flight time (I suspect less with the sunshade dangling below)

While I'm all for INNOVATION and INVENTING new uses for sUAS I just can't wrap my mind around how this could ever be a good and viable idea. I'd like to see you prove me wrong though. Do keep us posted :)

Hey BigA, not to mention the aircraft will hover solely with GPS since the bottom sensors will be covered right?

Reactions: BigAl07
May be I'm a bit off, but I fly my mavic air mainly for videos of my baby twins adventures with me.

This summer we've spend a lot of time at the beach.
And I've been battling with the sun, sunscreen and what not (in public beach here the lifeguards field of view is limited so umbrellas are 10 meters from the waterline and is a no shade zone, understandable safety mesure).

When building castles in the sand on the water line at high noon, I've had the idea of using the drone to hover with an attachment of course to shade a certain person and follow him as well, may be an added option for gesture control?

Mind the sand for finding a good place to take off and land, and the fact droning in public beaches are still legal and it's a accident waiting to happen.

Seriously is there an app for that or only dji are capable to program something like that?

I've haven't searched what the commercial drone industry is doing may be it's used some how like that?
Get big golf umbrella,hold ground camera overhead and have fun.

I would also imagine the noise of the drone would upset other beach users. Especially those who like the tranquil beach life sounds: kids playing, ocean waves etc. I don’t think drone buzzing fits into this. People would also possibly assume privacy being breached. Would only add ammunition to the anti-drone corner.

Reactions: BigAl07

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpknight