DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it really that loud?

With my new MA it's a deafening higher pitch compared to the Spark, MP and MPP only the agricultural P4P is louder to the naked ear.

Last edited:
I must admit that I am somewhat baffled in regards to the entire "this is louder than that" discussion. Pre Mavic (i.e. Phantom) these discussions were few and far between.

Possibly because the increased portability of the Mavic means it is being taken to, and used in, more places where noise is an issue, and it is also being used by more people new to drones -- many of whom will have been surprised at how noisy they [all drones] are. I certainly was (and I fly microlights: noisier still; headsets are required).

more places where noise is an issue
IMO...if a person if flying a drone in a location where noise is an issue, then they shouldn't be flying there because someone is surely going to complain more about the drone then the noise from the drone.

Reactions: mfc
IMO...if a person if flying a drone in a location where noise is an issue, then they shouldn't be flying there because someone is surely going to complain more about the drone then the noise from the drone.

Not sure I follow. The noise of the drone is always an issue for me, and I'm the pilot, so I'm not going to complain about the drone :). If I'm up a mountain somewhere with just the sound of the breeze and birds singing, firing up the drone means some of the magic of the place is lost. But it allows me to explore places almost impossible to get to on my own, such as possible cave entrances in cliff faces (see the second and third clips at Speleogroup - sgvideos).

I would like to retract my prior statement after reading this:
Drone noise is driving people crazy

This is the point. Owning two phantoms, noise was never an issue becuase Phantoms are huge, they are freight trains of drones. Noise isn't an issue when the machine from war the worlds is flying around you. But the Mavic series are small, people want to buy these little ones hoping that they are quieter so that they can film without being annoying. Case in point, I have been a few places lately that are pretty quiet beaches. Since im so conscious of people and their reaction, I chose not to fly simply because I dont want to draw attention to it.

I see your point of asking why noise is an issue, when it isn't over at phantoms, its just the size really.

Reactions: Mxs
My ideal drone is a small bodied Air to get under all the weight guidelines, and long arms with 13” props like a Yuneec Typhoon which purrs with carbon fibre props at 66 db. I’ve seen a new drone deisgn which is completely different, with motors spinning horizontally, not vertical. Insane, and the future of drones apparently.

I have the Air, Spark and Pro Platinum. Clearly the Platinum is the most quiet. The spark is acceptable, and I feel it's small enough that bystanders think of it as a toy. However the air concerns me! i can hear it at 350' up and 1000' out. That's pretty noisy. I can't hear the spark at half that. I also find the Air noise the most offensive. I fthe Spark is a swarm of bees, the Air is a she Spark is like a swarm of bees, the Air is a swarm of wasps! If you don't mind the noise, it's great, I just wish the sound wasn't so intrusive.

If you don't mind the noise, it's great, I just wish the sound wasn't so intrusive.

Noise is the biggest problem that drones have, for sure -- at least for anyone who still has good hearing. The 'answer' is bigger and slower propellers, which means creative ways of folding them and their arms to keep the folded size as now -- perhaps offset, not all in the same plane.

[Friend of mine got a Tello .. nice little aircraft, but sounds like a swarm of mosquitos instead of a swarm of wasps.... :).]

Gunshot = loud. Rock Concert = loud. Politicians = loud and obnoxious. MA = meh, not so much. I don't have a problem with my MA noise level. Most of the time it's over 200 feet away from me when I'm flying it. When it's close I can have conversations with the people around me talking in normal tones. It's different than my toy drones but it's by no means something to get worried over unless you have a sensitivity to certain frequencies or noise levels.

I feel it's small enough that bystanders think of it as a toy.

I hear this argument made a lot about why smaller or 'toy like' drones are more ideal for flying under the radar or when under scrutiny by the public. Is that really the case? I'd imagine a drone hating get-off-my-lawn type of guy wouldn't care about anything other than the fact you seem to be flying something in "their property" (even public space is theirs). Also, people are smart enough nowadays, even the drone haters, to know about where technology is and may already know despite it's small size that a drone can be equipped with a camera and thus fully capable of "spying on them". Then they'd proceed to be just as mad at you as a larger drone. Perhaps they may not fear you dropping that brick on their head, but they sure as hell still don't like their "privacy infringed upon".

Gunshot = loud. Rock Concert = loud. ... It's different than my toy drones but it's by no means something to get worried over unless you have a sensitivity to certain frequencies or noise levels.

Yes, if you like gunshots and rock concerts your hearing probably isn't that sensitive to higher frequencies (as created by drones) ... :). I suspect many opera-lovers have high-frequency hearing deficiencies, too :) :).

Not a good idea to hover endlessly in a leisure area at low altitudes. It's going to P*** people off and they're going to start complaining to lazy worthless lawmakers who are in return are going to think they are doing mankind a huge favor by banning drones. I think most people know that.

Not a good idea to hover endlessly in a leisure area at low altitudes. It's going to P*** people off and they're going to start complaining to lazy worthless lawmakers who are in return are going to think they are doing mankind a huge favor by banning drones. I think most people know that.

Yep. For example (my home city): Drone concerns prompt council ban

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun