DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it worth buying a new drone in the UK in 2022?

lturner241

Reactions
I have had a Mini 2 for just over a year now. I enjoy flying it and the lack of obstacle avoidance has certainly helped improve my flying ability. However, as my main use for a drone is photography and I would like to upgrade to a better equipped camera with a larger sensor and more control - i.e. variable aperture and log profiles for video.

My main worry is investing in a drone within the UK when there are currently no drones available that carry a classification and the new rules are due to come in from January 2023. An above 250g unclassified drone will automatically fall into the A3 category.

I can fly drones over 250g with Article 16 Authorisation but am unclear whether or not these are going go radically change in Jan 2023, or if I can fly a legacy drone under Article 16 Authorisation with the same limitations as today.

So I guess my question is - is it worth waiting until we start to see classified drones or just go for it now? I appreciate that no-one has a crystal ball and that drones are probably not top of the list of Government priorities.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
@lturner241 honestly unless you are a professional drone flyer with your GVC and all that entails with regards to cost of training and having to keep current with the amount of flight hours done ,then purchasing any drone that does not fall into the 250g category in the UK or without the new C rating is not really an option i would wait till the C classification drones become available hopefully in the second half of 2022 and just to add ,you will need to have a A2 C of C certificate after this year to fly the heavier than 500g C rated drones with the reduced separation distances that they offer otherwise its the A 3 category only with all the limits that has

@lturner241 honestly unless you are a professional drone flyer with your GVC and all that entails with regards to cost of training and having to keep current with the amount of flight hours done ,then purchasing any drone that does not fall into the 250g category in the UK or without the new C rating is not really an option i would wait till the C classification drones become available hopefully in the second half of 2022 and just to add ,you will need to have a A2 C of C certificate after this year to fly the heavier than 500g C rated drones with the reduced separation distances that they offer otherwise its the A 3 category only with all the limits that has

What he said 🔝

@manc54 well at least i saved you a lot of typing;);););) thanks for the mention
only joking take care my fellow flyer

Thanks gents, that's pretty much my conclusion. I've had A2 C of C for over a year now in advance of the changes and did think that we would have a little more information than the current radio silence from both CAA and the manufacturers.

At this rate I'll be buying a new drone as a retirement present.

@lturner241 to be honest i think that right now the CAA is rather more concerned with other levels of aviation in their remit ,since leaving the EU
drones are mentioned in the new rules, and eventually when it gets nearer to the time that all new drones have to have the new C rating mark ,and the approval of the government bodies proposing the legislation, then i am sure that the drones will start to become available, there is no guarantee that things could change a lot more in the coming months

Reactions: lturner241
@lostit ,there are several sources of learning providers I used UAVHUB ,then there's Heli guy, FPVUK ,and many more they all offer good training ,its up to you and your location ,which is best for you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N