DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is it worth it?

rg155

Reactions
I might be trading my Mavic Pro with 3 batteries for an inspire one with the x3 camera plus a hundred cash would this be worth it?

Also how would it work to change my State Farm insurance to cover the inspire if the purchase is only 200 + the mavic?

The x3 has a similar sensor to the MP, however it's aperture is nearly a stop worse (2.2 vs 2.8). The Inspire does allow 360* camera rotation, however be mindful of regulations that may affect the Inspire that don't hit the Mavic due to weight (eg. in Aus the sub 2kg law). Having the inspire does allow you to upgrade the camera in the future though which is nice.

If you can deal with the worse portability and lower flight time, then it could be a good deal. :)

Also how would it work to change my State Farm insurance to cover the inspire if the purchase is only 200 + the mavic?

I think I can answer the insurance portion of your question.
Are you insuring this as part of your business? (a commercial flyer?) or as part of a personal articles rider? (if SF insures recreational drones, that's a surprise to me... seeing that they don't insure other things that tend to get broken a lot.. like cell phones).
In any case, if they are insuring drone(s) for you, you just need to go on ebay or Amazon and find a few examples of the "fair market value" of the setup. I usually use "completed" listings where similar items sold, or the price that item is selling for used on Amazon in similar condition. That's the actual value you're insuring... what a willing buyer would pay for it. I do this with my DSLR camera gear.
Don't insure the 'new retail' value, because if something happens to it, SF is still only obligated to replace it with similar (used), NOT buy you a new one. They'll take the fee for the higher number, but only give you the value of replacing used, or actually find one to get for you.

I think I can answer the insurance portion of your question.
Are you insuring this as part of your business? (a commercial flyer?) or as part of a personal articles rider? (if SF insures recreational drones, that's a surprise to me... seeing that they don't insure other things that tend to get broken a lot.. like cell phones).
In any case, if they are insuring drone(s) for you, you just need to go on ebay or Amazon and find a few examples of the "fair market value" of the setup. I usually use "completed" listings where similar items sold, or the price that item is selling for used on Amazon in similar condition. That's the actual value you're insuring... what a willing buyer would pay for it. I do this with my DSLR camera gear.
Don't insure the 'new retail' value, because if something happens to it, SF is still only obligated to replace it with similar (used), NOT buy you a new one. They'll take the fee for the higher number, but only give you the value of replacing used, or actually find one to get for you.
It would be a personal articles policy with it. How would I prove the sale and it’s value?

It would be a personal articles policy with it. How would I prove the sale and it’s value?

What I did when I inherited some high quality camera gear (from a friend who passed way too young) was to go onto eBay, look up the exact lenses and camera body in excellent condition and checked the filter box to show completed and sold listings. Hopefully you'll find several fairly recent sales of essentially the same thing as you got.
I then went right into the local State Farm agent's office with my gear, a list of what I have with serial numbers and fair value estimates of the going prices. They took the copies of my documentation and verified condition of the gear and updated the policy coverage.
. You don't want to overvalue. I'm sure the policy would be set so that they don't have to give you what you say it's worth...they've likely got the connections to get another used one. You also don't want to undervalue, because they might just give you the money, and you'd hope to be able to replace it with that money.
. You certainly can also write up a document stating the terms of the trade + cash, and document fair value info on what you traded away.

Let me know how this works out for you.
dbell