DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is my Smart Controller charging properly?

tax-man

Reactions
I just purchased the M2P with Smart Controller combo. I charged the controller using the supplied rapid charger and USB-C cable, but the four white LEDs flash rapidly in sequence, then the sequence repeats. The controller did fully charge, but I didn't think this was how the LEDs were supposed to behave. The LEDs also did not shut off, even though it appeared that the charging was completed. Is this normal? I have updated the firmware, turned the controller on and off, and partially discharged the controlled and recharged it.

Normal process is all the white lights will turn off when SC is fully charged.

Lights behave like ones on P4 controller while charging running in sequence. So a low charge will start with only 1 blinking and as charge gets close to finished all 4 will blink in series.

Fully charged all lights are off.

If you plug in a fully charged SC all four light will blink in sequential order for a few moments then turn off again.

Paul C.

I just purchased the M2Z with the sc, just changed it for the first time and the same thing is happening with mine. Charged for hours and lights are still going through progression. I don’t like it. I am going to exchange it for a new one. Not a good sign straight out of the box ya know.

Let it go for 12 hours, before you send it back, the first time it charges takes a long time, even with the stock charger. If you still have lights going through progression say after letting it sit all night, then I would send it back. After the first charge cycle this time is cut way down. Not sure why first charge takes so long but it does, even though SC has over 50%.

Paul C

I put my SC on charge when it it almost at full charge thinking I would top it off before going out to fly and it did the same thing and never got over 99%.
I went out and flew thru 3 batteries with my Mavic 2 Pro. When I put the controller on charge after flying it only charged for about 1 1/2 hours and when the lights went off it was at 100%.
I would try flying and run the batteries down and let them cool off for about 1 hour then charge it and see what happens before you send it back. It may be fine.

Thanks to all for your assistance. I will try charging it overnight and see if that helps.

I just received my MA2 w/ Smart Controller on 12/23/20. I set the SC up to charge over night but when I checked it, the "4 white LEDS" were still lighting in rapid sequence after about 12 hours. I will leave it on for a few more hours on its own power block to see if the LEDS turn solid. Still flashing in seq. as of 12/24/20 at 07:05.

I would go ahead and unplug it and turn it on and see what amount of charge you have. Odds are it's 100%, not sure why it's not turning off the charging. If after all that time it's still not at 100%, might need to return it.

Paul C

Reactions: YBLee
I would go ahead and unplug it and turn it on and see what amount of charge you have. Odds are it's 100%, not sure why it's not turning off the charging. If after all that time it's still not at 100%, might need to return it.

Paul C
Thx Paul. After about 5 minutes plugged into the charging block for the SC, the LEDS turned off. Battery now indicates 100%.

Reactions: Thomas B
I just received my MA2 w/ Smart Controller on 12/23/20. I set the SC up to charge over night but when I checked it, the "4 white LEDS" were still lighting in rapid sequence after about 12 hours. I will leave it on for a few more hours on its own power block to see if the LEDS turn solid. Still flashing in seq. as of 12/24/20 at 07:05.
I received my MA2 w Smart Controller in 12/18 and am having the same issues. I contacted DJI for a return as it’s so new I don’t want to mess with it. Must have been a bad batch maybe..?

When I made the post above, I was charging the SC using the USB cable from the block charger to the SC which I would now call the "slow charge" method. Someone told me to use the charger that came with the SC and it then charged correctly and all 5 white LEDS went OFF within 10 minutes. This I now understand to been the "quick" charge method and is the way to charge the SC. When using the quick charge method the LEDs flash at about twice the speed and the SC is charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asphaltman
When I made the post above, I was charging the SC using the USB cable from the block charger to the SC which I would now call the "slow charge" method. Someone told me to use the charger that came with the SC and it then charged correctly and all 5 white LEDS went OFF within 10 minutes. This I now understand to been the "quick" charge method and is the way to charge the SC. When using the quick charge method the LEDs flash at about twice the speed and the SC is charging.
That’s good to know. I will try that on mine. I finally got it to stop charging after about 15 hours on the combined brick charger.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ad60