DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is skining your drone worth it?

The eye is the most sensitive to green, but that's not why we use Safety Orange. It is a contrasting color to azure blue typically associated with the sky. It stands out against most backgrounds.
For me... useful if crashed. If flying all my drones, regardless of skin, just appear as near black at 100-125’ distance.

I've been thinking about putting a brightly colored skin on my Mavic Air 2, this light gray is hard to see for me.
Could anyone that has skinned their drone let me know it is with it. Up close they look great, but what about in the air?
Thanks!
Exactly, they can look pretty good but if you pick this Army Green then the drone blend in with the Grass and Leaves, which may not a good idea. I use a landing pad and avoid trees as much as possible. Army Skin.jpg

My problem with skins on the drone is that if you want to resell the drone this can be a problem since not everybody will like the skin or will like a modify drone.

Is a very personal opinion. How ever i will like some skins.

I like the skin! If you can't see that, you won't be able to see any of them. I realize anything over 100' you can't see much color of any sort. When flying in unfamiliar territory I usually scout things out at about 159 ft so I don't see much of anything.
Thanks for your comments!
P. S. Love your landing pad!

My problem with skins on the drone is that if you want to resell the drone this can be a problem since not everybody will like the skin or will like a modify drone.

the whole idea of the skin is that it will peel off and leave the drone looking like new

Why can't you peel it off?

I've been thinking about putting a brightly colored skin on my Mavic Air 2, this light gray is hard to see for me.
Could anyone that has skinned their drone let me know it is with it. Up close they look great, but what about in the air?
Thanks!
Did mine with a wrap from dronewrapz.co.uk. Like great and makes a difference at low level against a grey sky. Gonna get black/yellow props just to complete the look. 20200611_234725-600x296.jpg

Thanks!
For me the difference is huge! I flew the MA2 for about 6 weeks before the @Wrapgrade skins were available here in the US. I definitely have better visual with the Neon Orange skin.E5938E38-C456-4355-A61A-60138FFBC589.jpeg
In this photo the drone is 300’ off shore just as the sun is rising. The shot was taken with an iPhone 11.

Attachments

• CAD83BF5-E2CC-4D69-8527-A8F3B1FF0D28.jpeg
    CAD83BF5-E2CC-4D69-8527-A8F3B1FF0D28.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: wali
Don't think it makes much difference,when it's a dot in the sky,apart from possible bird deterant Seems new Mavic Air has the best selection of new modern stylish skins, M2P and Mini skins are a bit boring in comparison.. but hey, eye of beholder and all that.?

Is that PolarPro protective cover better than the stock one? Is it worth the price?
Yes. It stopped gimbal Motion in storage/transit and is padded. Easy on and off. No problems in almost 2 years of use. Some worry about tressing the gimbal suspension.... I think not from experience. Here’s a video from our membership.

Let’s get back on topic now.

At a few hundred feet distance it will still be seen By your eye as a dark spot on the sky. Highly recommend aftermarket strobes.

Reactions: MA2 317
People with MA2 + Arc XL x4.... Is the added weight (roughly 15g per light + negligible mount) and noticeable in regards to performance and or battery life?

Informative article. I chose the skin color yellow instead of green.

Reason being that when the drone files close to the ground, it can easily get lost in the forest of green color.

Also a good point that it will be harder to find it if it is forced to land in a forested or grassy area

Reactions: kendrex
I just did mine!
95ED61FB-3BEC-4963-8214-748929A2C7CA.jpeg
21980C23-B9E3-4765-B5AF-BE9FBBFEE968.jpeg

Any difference to 3m skins that need heat to apply and skins that dont? Will both come off and leave the drone looking fresh?

had trouble with my metallic skin--interfered with connectivity. Had to remove it. if you go for a skin, DON'T choose metallic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB