DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is sun hood necessary for Mavic 3 RC Pro controller?

SkywalkerFeng

Reactions
Site
www.instagram.com
I understand that RC Pro controller has a very bright screen (1000 nit). But the more obvious problem, when using any LCD screen outside in a bright sunny day, is the reflection on the screen. Is sun hood necessary for RC Pro, to block out the reflection?

I haven't needed a hood for my smart controller (the original one). I did find that fingerprints would cause visibility problems when in the sun, so I use a stylus on the screen rather than my fingers to keep the screen from getting smudged up. It helps in more accurately using the app also.

Only if you want to see the screen.:) On a serious note, I flew mine the other day near noon, on a bright cloudless day. After about ten minutes, I called it quits because I couldn't see the screen. I am contemplating one.

Reactions: SkywalkerFeng
I do find that there is quite a bit of reflection on mine, however by habit of using a Ipad, I slightly tilt it sideways and that helps with the reflection. Not a ideal idea, but it works. I am considering a sun shade for it though. Just got the RC Pro, so haven't got around to ordering one for it just yet.

Would matt screen protection type films work for the glare issue ?
I know the disposable ones are good on phones or iPads etc, when they get slightly marked you just change them out.
The thin film toughened non glare ones are much hardier, but probably not made in specific RC Pro sizes, so possibly a film is the only possible non glare matt type product to try on non std screen sizes like controllers.

The pictures show 3pm afternoon sun…

1. Maximum brightness (100%) with auto-brightness OFF and enhancement ON.

2. Maximum brightness (100%) auto-brightness ON and enhancement ON.

(made no difference with enhancement ON/OFF as it was too dull to see the difference).

Wow, looks awful.
So much so you wonder if it was faulty.
Was it HOT (not hit) by chance ?
Just thinking maybe like an i device if they are left in sun, get too hot, they just stop until they cool enough before operating again.
Never have that when using the iPad or iPhone with the drone flights, but running mapping apps when 4wd’n, if in full sun in a dash mount, I’d have to put a hat over them the shade them !

edit hit = hot

Last edited:
Reactions: pommy

It's actually super-bright in the house/shade, dazzling in fact. It's not faulty - it's simply not suitable for the harsh Australian sun.

Do you mean the screen brightness of 1000 nits is not high enough to handle the Australian sun?

Actually, the screen for the current generation of flagship phones can go much higher than that. Samsung S21 Ultra can reach 1500 nits. The just-released S22 Ultra can go as high as 1750 nits.

Last edited:
Yes, sorry - the 1000 nits isn't sufficient.

When outside in the sun, I'd have to hunch over it - back to the sun (not always possible or convenient - VLOS).

...it's no better than my phone (until that overheats, which is why I bought the RC Pro)

Looks like a sun hood is the solution to go.

Sunhood.jpg

I think I’ll order one today in fact 😎

After paying $1500AUD for the RC Pro, there was no way I was putting a sun hood on it!

Wish it would have worked, but hey… 🤷🏼‍♂️

I just ordered one as well. Not for brightness issue, but to block the reflection.

• Love
Actually, the screen for the current generation of flagship phones can go much higher than that. The screen for Samsung S21 Ultra can reach 1500 nits. The just-released S22 Ultra can go as high as 1750 nits.
I don't think they can do that for the duration of a flight though. My s20 could turbo for about 7-10 mins.

My S21 Ultra would do it for 3 batteries, no problem.

That is my experience as well. Had 200+ flights last summer under Adriatic sun, with RC-N1 & S21 Ultra, never felt the need to get a brighter screen. I use auto-brightness. The screen always stay the brightest for the entire duration of the flight in a hot summer day, never dim in middle of a flight. The only issue I am bothered sometimes is the reflection on the screen.

Reactions: bonzo
The RC Pro or Smart Controllers are very bright but are not a miracle. With direct sun I still can see the very clear image. Sun shade is recommended.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenshin