DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is Tacking A Viable Solution To An Overpowering Headwind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surface area increase is relatively proportional to drag increase. If you double a surface area of a craft, you have doubled the drag. If you decrease the surface area exposed by half, you have, for all intents and purposes, halved the amount of drag resistance on the craft. Drag and ground speed are inversely proportional. Until you have tested the resistance of the craft at the various positions during flight in a wind tunnel, you do not have technical data, you have speculation. If flying pitched/rolled at an angle reduces surface area, you have reduced drag. If you reduce drag sufficiently, you may increase ground speed. I cant make this any simpler than that.
This is all irrelevant nonsense.
If the drone is battling a headwind that is equal to or in excess of the max (still air) velocity of the drone, it makes no difference what trivial changes might be made by changing the cross sectional area being pushed exposed to the air.
If the drone is already being blown backwards while flying forward at max speed, that tells you all you need to know.
To fly at a different angle to the wind will mean the drone is being blown further downwind at an even faster rate than attempting to fly directly into it as the upwind component of its velocity is reduced.
That the "aeronautical engineer" cannot recognise such a simple exercise in elementary vector mechanics raises questions about his competence.
The point so simply made in post #27 completely escapes him.

It's limiting pitch based on ground speed in Sport mode.
Unrelated to this zig-zag tacking debate, but can you elaborate on this statement you made in Post#22? Or could you direct me to another thread where this may have been discussed previously. I just ran across a post in another forum where someone claimed that ground speed is limited by a speed governor. I'm curious to know how that would work? Thx.

Unrelated to this zig-zag tacking debate, but can you elaborate on this statement you made in Post#22? Or could you direct me to another thread where this may have been discussed previously. I just ran across a post in another forum where someone claimed that ground speed is limited by a speed governor. I'm curious to know how that would work?
Earlier DJI drones could hitch a ride on a strong tailwind to fly at speeds (over the ground) faster than spec in non-atti modes.
But way back DJI changed that and you can now only get a very small speed boost from a strong wind (unless you switch to atti mode).
DJI limits the tilt (and speed) if the SOG is equal to max speed in specs.

Earlier DJI drones could hitch a ride on a strong tailwind to fly at speeds (over the ground) faster than spec in non-atti modes.
But way back DJI changed that and you can now only get a very small speed boost from a strong wind (unless you switch to atti mode).
DJI limits the tilt (and speed) if the SOG is equal to max speed in specs.
Wow. So he wasn't just making that up. I was very skeptical when I first heard that.

This is straying off topic, so please send me to another thread if needed.

I understand there is a physical limit to the airspeed, but why the need to limit ground speed?

According to the manual, the Mavic Mini has a max airspeed in C-mode of 4 m/s. If it is struggling against a 4m/s headwind, it would effectively be at a standstill doing zero m/s ground speed.

If it turned around to fly downwind at its max 4 m/s airspeed in C-mode, riding a tailwind of another 4 m/s, you're saying it would not actually be permitted to reach a total of 8 m/s ground speed? Would it then be restricted to zero airspeed only to drift with the wind already doing its maximum governed 4 m/s ground speed limit?

In any tailwind greater than 4 m/s, does that mean the Mini would be forced to actively backpedal in order to avoid exceeding its governed ground speed limit?

And in any tailwind greater than 8 m/s, even flying hard in full reverse at its max 4 m/s C-mode airspeed, the Mini couldn't backpedal fast enough to avoid being carried downwind at a speed in excess of its governed ground speed limit.

That hurts my head trying to picture how that's supposed to work, or why anyone would ever consider that necessary. ?‍♂️

I understand there is a physical limit to the airspeed, but why the need to limit ground speed?
There's no need to, it's just something that DJI decided to do about five years ago.
In any tailwind greater than 4 m/s, does that mean the Mini would be forced to actively backpedal in order to avoid exceeding its governed ground speed limit?
I haven't tested C Mode so can't comment on that but I don't think DJI drones "backpedal" or go in full reverse with a tailwind, but they do gently apply the brakes so that only a small speed increase is possible.

Nobody in this thread (including sar104) has disputed that assertion. It is possible that flying the drone at some particular angle of attack (backwards, forwards, or sideways, or any combination thereof) might effectively minimize the drone's coefficient of drag, thereby increasing its potential maximum airspeed. That is not the issue being disputed here.

If you have measured and discovered that the drone has the least amount of drag and flies fastest when it's aimed (for example) straight backwards, that would be great. In that hypothetical case we'd know that there is some small advantage to flying backwards, rather than forwards when fighting against a headwind.

However, the only question at issue here is, would you make better progress flying home against a strong headwind if you then fly a STRAIGHT path home (with the drone's tail end leading the way), or would you make better progress flying a ZIG-ZAG path (with the drone's tail always leading the way pointing first off to the left, then off to the right, etc).

Zig-zag tacking accomplishes nothing other than wasting extra battery power covering that increased distance traveled.

I covered that in one of my original comments. You are sacrificing energy expenditure or amount of force for distance. I understand the original question

This very well should be my last post on this topic.

I doubt we'll be that lucky.
You haven't made any technical points, you don't know the aerodynamics of the aircraft, much like myself, and therefore cannot support any "technical" evidence. We all have only used basic theories of aerodynamics to speculate on the ability of the aircraft to reduce drag given the hypothetical posted by OP. I didn't come in here asserting qualifications, I simply stated my career, where we use wind tunnels on a weekly basis. I've made it perfectly clear that I don't claim to have a higher or greater opinion than any of you, nor am I asserting what my position as the ultimate truth. I even mentioned that I am relatively new to drones as a whole, I grew up flying other types of RC. So please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

It's quite fascinating that you feel able to claim that I haven't made any technical points. I provided a mathematical proof that you are incorrect - how does it get more technical than that? Oh I forgot - it has no numbers so it must be wrong.
This has come down to pointing out that you can not conclusively state your opinion as true.

I didn't present an opinion - I posited an argued proof. Anyone with any technical education would understand the difference. And if you disagreed with either the maths or the underlying assumptions then you could have disputed them. You made no effort at all to do that.
I've made plenty of observations but you choose to ignore and/or pretend that I didn't.

No - you have made random assertions, not observations, unless you count watching YouTube as an observation. And you didn't even string those assertions together to form a cogent argument.
Surface area increase is relatively proportional to drag increase. If you double a surface area of a craft, you have doubled the drag. If you decrease the surface area exposed by half, you have, for all intents and purposes, halved the amount of drag resistance on the craft.

Agreed, and drag is one factor limiting airspeed. But that's irrelevant to the question of whether you can ever make progress by zig-zagging into a headwind that exceeds your maximum airspeed, because for a given aircraft, maximum airspeed is fixed. Drag is not an independent variable.
Drag and ground speed are inversely proportional.

No they are not, trivially so, because ground velocity is air velocity minus wind velocity. If for no other reason than that wind speed in any given situation is an independent constant that does not depend in any way on drag, proportionality is therefore impossible. And airspeed is only drag limited, so only maximum airspeed is a function of drag - up to that point drag is offset by thrust.
Until you have tested the resistance of the craft at the various positions during flight in a wind tunnel, you do not have technical data, you have speculation. If flying pitched/rolled at an angle reduces surface area, you have reduced drag.

For a given airframe, airspeed is a function of tilt, and weakly of pitch and roll independently. Drag is a function of the same parameters. You don't need a wind tunnel to determine that relationship - all you need to do is record velocity as a function of tilt (or pitch and roll). And because of that, and the aircraft specifications, we already know maximum tilt and maximum airspeed. So the way that drag contributed to that is moot - we already know the maximum airspeed which is what we need to calculate motion in a given wind field.
If you reduce drag sufficiently, you may increase ground speed. I cant make this any simpler than that.

You maybe could not make it simpler, but you could at least make it correct. The aircraft drag coefficient, as a function of aircraft attitude, is not negotiable. It's what determines the maximum airspeed. We already know the maximum airspeed - it's in the specifications and it's easily confirmed in the logged telemetry.

I now realize that you actually have no clue what this thread is even discussing. It's not a question of whether flying with the motor thrust vector (and thus the aircraft velocity in the atmospheric frame of reference) aligned with other than the aircraft x-axis buys more airspeed - do you not even bother to read discussion threads before wading in. And if you had read and understood the proof I presented it would have been obvious from that too. In fact straight forwards or backwards are marginally better than any form of crabbing - you wouldn't know that without looking at flight telemetry, but it's completely irrelevant anyway. This discussion is about whether flying a zigzag course allows you to make better progress into the wind, a superficially similar concept to tacking a boat but actually a completely different mechanism when only operating in one working medium. It doesn't, and that's what I demonstrated in the earlier proof. Did you not read it, or did you simply not understand it at all?

I covered that in one of my original comments. You are sacrificing energy expenditure or amount of force for distance. I understand the original question

You understood neither the question nor the discussion. I thought you were done here.

This is all irrelevant nonsense.
If the drone is battling a headwind that is equal to or in excess of the max (still air) velocity of the drone, it makes no difference what trivial changes might be made by changing the cross sectional area being pushed exposed to the air.
If the drone is already being blown backwards while flying forward at max speed, that tells you all you need to know.
To fly at a different angle to the wind will mean the drone is being blown further downwind at an even faster rate than attempting to fly directly into it as the upwind component of its velocity is reduced.
That the "aeronautical engineer" cannot recognise such a simple exercise in elementary vector mechanics raises questions about his competence.
The point so simply made in post #27 completely escapes him.

Quite the contrary I think it has clearly escaped many of you (not all) that have all bolstered your opinion as tried and factual where it is not. I mentioned Dunning-Kruger and that’s exactly what I see, but I won’t stoop down to personal attacks as many of you have when their logic has been threatened.
This topic is dead, it’s obvious no one will change their mind (not that I was ever out to do that, I simply generated input like everyone else) and I don’t see a reason in continuing to debate.
I finally understand what you mean by “#27”. I kept seeing that but didn’t understand what you were wanting me to see. It’s a faulty comparison replacing aerodynamics of a drone with hydrodynamics of a human in water, properties vary greatly and there is good reason we use wind tunnels and not water tunnels (which is a thing) for aircraft. Shame because it would be much cheaper. Regardless your turning your body broadside to a current. Thanks for the input guys. I know you all are very upset over what I have to say but this too shall pass. Maybe when my furlough is up I’ll see if I can get access to a windtunnel with my MM. Lol!

Given your comment, I feel it is important to note my line of work. My wife and I both are aeronautical engineers for JPL in Northern VA.
Given the nonsense you've spouted and your refusal to deal with facts or maths, I feel it's important to ask if you live under a bridge.

• Haha
Reactions: fpvaddict
Quite the contrary I think it has clearly escaped many of you (not all) that have all bolstered your opinion as tried and factual where it is not. I mentioned Dunning-Kruger and that’s exactly what I see, but I won’t stoop down to personal attacks as many of you have when their logic has been threatened.
This topic is dead, it’s obvious no one will change their mind (not that I was ever out to do that, I simply generated input like everyone else) and I don’t see a reason in continuing to debate.
I finally understand what you mean by “#27”. I kept seeing that but didn’t understand what you were wanting me to see. It’s a faulty comparison replacing aerodynamics of a drone with hydrodynamics of a human in water, properties vary greatly and there is good reason we use wind tunnels and not water tunnels (which is a thing) for aircraft. Shame because it would be much cheaper. Regardless your turning your body broadside to a current. Thanks for the input guys. I know you all are very upset over what I have to say but this too shall pass. Maybe when my furlough is up I’ll see if I can get access to a windtunnel with my MM. Lol!

Remarkable - still not even a hint of an attempt at a technical argument. Just "it's wrong because it's different", with no explanation. You would be wrong again in this case because you didn't understand the question. Nevertheless, you could have tried to argue why water and air behave differently in this problem, but I'm pretty sure that you don't even know. And no one is upset, however much you wish they might be - maybe frustrated at your continued refusal to engage in the technical discussion, your apparently limitless willingness to obfuscate the simplest physics, and your impressive use of logical fallacies while completely hijacking a thread.

Your posts are reminiscent of the comments section of certain news sites - one knows with certainty that the person writing them really thought that they were being clever while everyone else is just wincing. I particularly liked your "Someone take this boy back to highschool physics class please.", which of course was quite brilliant and would never be construed as a personal attack.

Remarkable - still not even a hint of an attempt at a technical argument. Just "it's wrong because it's different", with no explanation. You would be wrong again in this case because you didn't understand the question. Nevertheless, you could have tried to argue why water and air behave differently in this problem, but I'm pretty sure that you don't even know. And no one is upset, however much you wish they might be - maybe frustrated at your continued refusal to engage in the technical discussion, your apparently limitless willingness to obfuscate the simplest physics, and your impressive use of logical fallacies while completely hijacking a thread.

Your posts are reminiscent of the comments section of certain news sites - one knows with certainty that the person writing them really thought that they were being clever while everyone else is just wincing. I particularly liked your "Someone take this boy back to highschool physics class please.", which of course was quite brilliant and would never be construed as a personal attack.

Quite the writer aren’t you? Perhaps that was a personal attack. I can take several with each comment from you but I apologize for dishing one out. Buddy, you argued drag had nothing to do with a hypothetical that involved wind resistance on a drone. I should’ve taken the hint to cease commenting then. Goodnight!

Quite the writer aren’t you? Perhaps that was a personal attack. I can take several with each comment from you but I apologize for dishing one out. Buddy, you argued drag had nothing to do with a hypothetical that involved wind resistance on a drone. I should’ve taken the hint to cease commenting then. Goodnight!
I agree.Good nite

Reactions: TDZHDTV
I've made plenty of observations but you choose to ignore and/or pretend that I didn't.
No - you have made random assertions, not observations, unless you count watching YouTube as an observation. And you didn't even string those assertions together to form a cogent argument.
As an example, (again off-topic) I recently posted in another forum an observation, including what I felt was actual YouTube documented video "proof", which was nonetheless subsequently shot down and conclusively debunked by someone else's "cogent argument". When presented with this argument, I had to eat crow and admit that I was completely and utterly wrong. It was embarrassing, but educational.

The Fly App and the Mini always power up in P-Mode. Regardless of whether you subsequently switch to S-mode or C-mode, if control signal is lost the Mini goes into RTH mode and will always fly home in P-mode. I knew that.

But, while editing a recent video, I discovered something curious. If RTH is manually triggered with an uninterrupted control signal while flying in C-mode, the Mini remains in C-mode while flying Home in RTH. When I mentioned that on the other forum, I immediately got hammered for my lunatic beliefs. But look, I have actual proof! Check it out, starting at 2:20 in this video. The Mini is in C-mode and stays in C-mode after RTH is manually triggered!

Well, it turns out that everyone, except me, already knows all about this bug in the app. Even though the app continues to show C-mode, check the speed displayed at the bottom of the screen. C-mode is restricted to no more than 4m/s. Even in the short distance available for the drone to accelerate and subsequently stop over the Home Point in my test video, it still managed to momentarily reach a speed of 6m/s while on its way to the normal RTH cruising speed of 8m/s. RTH is always done at P-mode speed of 8m/s, regardless of what mode is currently being displayed in the app.

Going from feeling 100% confident that I was right with actual video evidence and 100% convinced that everybody else was wrong, now I just felt stupid.

Reactions: fpvaddict and scro
Ok guys no more OT comments or quoting a member
that is not going to respond and get this started back
as it was before. The OP has been educated on what he asked . I think all know tacking is not a viable solution .
Now you know what’s coming.

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman