DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the “old” radar widget on DJI Fly app gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke_Mulligan

Reactions
In several videos, I’ve seen a little radar widget in the bottom center of the screen that indicates the location of the drone from the perspective of the controller location. Is it still possible to get that view? The newer radar on the lower left side of the screen, I won’t say it doesn’t make sense to me, but it isn’t easy for me to read and orient myself and locate the drone as quickly as I think the old radar would be.

I’ve only had my Air 2 for a few months, so I never actually had the older display, but would like to try it.

In several videos, I’ve seen a little radar widget in the bottom center of the screen that indicates the location of the drone from the perspective of the controller location. Is it still possible to get that view? The newer radar on the lower left side of the screen, I won’t say it doesn’t make sense to me, but it isn’t easy for me to read and orient myself and locate the drone as quickly as I think the old radar would be.

I’ve only had my Air 2 for a few months, so I never actually had the older display, but would like to try it.
This feature, the new compass was deployed in the DJI Fly App in one of the 1.2.x releases. As you noted, there are probably several YT videos discussing this feature, some people like it, some hate it, some don't care, as there are multiple ways to track of the location of your drone. Though the compass feature has its purpose..

Look for DJI Fly Compass on YT and you'll probably find many videos on the topic that will cover how to access it, and use it if you want to.

Reactions: Duke_Mulligan
@Duke_Mulligan it was discontinued during an app update ,it is now in the small map display ,touch the map in the bottom righthand corner and it will change into the orientation indicator

The App update that moved it to the Map Screen pop up is hopelessly small on my iphone 11 Pro. Whilst the original could be quickly referred to and was at a visible size (just), I now never sidetrack to opening up the Map View and take my attention away from the primary flight monitoring screen. DJI should have kept both view options via the Fly App Settings. Easy. ???

Also depends on phone / tablet you're using. Some don't have the capability for the compass - so you won't have it - but do have the flight map in the lower left corner. Seems none of my phones / tablets have ever had the compass - so never knew it existed and don't really use / miss it.

Nice to have, but if you're VLOS - would you not know where your drone is in relation to you / your RC? Food for thought!

Also depends on phone / tablet you're using. Some don't have the capability for the compass - so you won't have it - but do have the flight map in the lower left corner. Seems none of my phones / tablets have ever had the compass - so never knew it existed and don't really use / miss it.

Nice to have, but if you're VLOS - would you not know where your drone is in relation to you / your RC? Food for thought!

Yes and no - the issue for me is, although I’m always within VLOS, I’m not always actually eyes on my drone the whole time. So I may be flying far enough away that although I can still see it when I know where it is, if I don’t know its general location, it can be hard to find. And that’s what I think the old radar display would be good for. The new map is just a little harder to calculate that with, because it makes the drone itself the center/point of reference, not the controller.

The nice thing about the symbol was that it showed the direction that the drone was pointing relative to where the operator/Home Point was located. Not an essential but it was handy for quick on screen referral. The new symbol location, on a secondary view, is useless - and too small to squint at, on my iphone 11 Pro. I now skip it entirely. ??????

Reactions: RobertR
Hope I'm posting in the correct thread...

Mavic Air 2 / DJI Fly app. App has 'lost' video settings display. Only displaying 'Normal, HDR, and Slow Motion'. No camera settings (i.e. resolution, frame rate etc. Platform: IOS7. Removed and re-loaded app with same outcome. Any ideas?

Les

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS