DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mini 3 Pro worth it?

Not true at all. US you can fly without being registered with FAA but no so in the EU and Great Britain.
I just finished all the hoopla to take my Mini 3 Pro over and fly legally.
1 - you have to take the EASA test for operation in A/A3 categories. Additional test is required if you want A2.
1a - you must have a copy on you to fly legally.
2 - You then have to register as an operator in at least one EU country. I registered in Germany because that's mostly where go on vacation. This operator registration ID must be entered into the drone ID field to fly legally. The Mini 3 supports this so it must be done. Additionally you have to label your drone with this operator ID. I've seen pics of folks with label maker but the original rules stated it had to be fireproof and permanently affixed.
3 - You have to have insurance that will cover personal and property damage. This has been lowered to around $277k from 1 million euros. I found my homeowners insurance will cover me and the operator registration site accepted that.
4 - this is what's known as a transition period which ends in Jan 2024. Until then the M3P can be flown as if it belonged to a C0 class drone meaning it can fly A1 or A3. After 1/1/24 it can only be flown A3 since it is not marked C0 specifically (dumb IMHO).

The mavic 3 was granted a C1 recently:

Reactions: Brojon
Thing is it has to be actually printed on the drone. So previous iterations will still be "grandfathered in" at the most restrictive category A3 - or A2 if you take the additional test. They tend to be real hidebound on their regs.
It's like they go by the weight as declared by the manufacturer. So you could have an Air 2S full of holes and with a lightened chassis to give you 249 grams and it's still a C1 drone in their book.

I'm currently flying an Air2 (original) and thinking to step down to a Mini 3 Pro. I'm looking for a drone with a better camera, that's my main issue. The Air 2 fly's like a dream with no issues, Is it really worth the switch?
Perosonally the Mini 3 Pro is my first drone, so cannot comment on other drone/UAVs. However I'm more than impressed with every aspect of the M3P and being sub 250 grams opens more flying options for you.

I would agree. The Mini 3 is a good drone for what it is. And compared to the Mini 1 where it's come in just a couple years it is way better. And while the Mini 3 can fight wind better than a Mini 1 and possibly the Mini 2, "fighting wind" means that you can get your Mini 3 back in strong winds, assuming enough battery life. But a Mini 3 is not as STABLE as a larger drones in higher winds. An Air2s will be way more stable, but you already know how stable your Air2 is.

Another thing is not only the stability of the aircraft itself, but the gimbal's ability to resist winds. I've had great clips ruined as my Mini 3 flys through the air, only to have the gimbal knocked suddenly to the side from the wind. That just doesn't happen with my Mavic, but was even more egrigious with my Mini 2.

I'm not saying don't buy a Mini 3. It's pretty fabulous for what it is. Just understand its limitation. One more thing... If you go with the Mini 3 I would strongly suggest spending the extra money for the DJI RC controller. It is SO much smoother flying than the RCN1 that DJI has made their "standard" controller. It's worth the extra $150.
I have both the Mini 3 Pro and the Air2s (R.I.P.) I find the Mini 3 with the larger battery is better and more stable in the wind. Sent the Air 2s out for a long trip in moderate winds the other day. She struggled back at 10mph and never made it after 17 minute flight. Lost it and even "Find my drone" didn't help Did the same thing with the Mini 3 in even WORSE conditions. She flew even further and dutifully executed a return-to-home at 22.5mph. with 40% battery left. I think the Mini 3 has a better thrust-to-weight ratio highlighted on a recent Pilot Institute video. I'll take the 3 PRO any day over Air2s in windy conditions

I have both the Mini 3 Pro and the Air2s (R.I.P.) I find the Mini 3 with the larger battery is better and more stable in the wind. Sent the Air 2s out for a long trip in moderate winds the other day. She struggled back at 10mph and never made it after 17 minute flight. Lost it and even "Find my drone" didn't help Did the same thing with the Mini 3 in even WORSE conditions. She flew even further and dutifully executed a return-to-home at 22.5mph. with 40% battery left. I think the Mini 3 has a better thrust-to-weight ratio highlighted on a recent Pilot Institute video. I'll take the 3 PRO any day over Air2s in windy conditions
Interesting anecdote and comparison. I too like the Mini 3 a lot and take it with me more frequently because of how easy it is to deploy. Other than really severe winds I never worry about my Mavic 2. Super stable and it has what DJI should have included; Tripod mode instead of Cine, which is far too similar to the Normal mode.

I just took the Mini 3 outside for a wind handling tests with breezes at ground level betweeen 14-19mph and gusts up to 34mph. It did well holding position, but it was obvious that it struggled mightily. I kept it well under 50' to keep it out of thse 34mph winds. But it also confirmed my previous impressions tht it does not do well in close proximity to objects when the wind is strong especially if the objects are solid structures like walls that can focus the air flow one way or another.

I'm a bit late to the party, but figured I'd chime in with my 2 cents worth. My first "real" drone (I had bought a VERY cheap toy drone as my very first) was the Air 2s. For what it is and does, it's great, sure I could name some faults, but overall no real complaints. I bought a Mini 3 Pro a few months ago, primarily because I wanted the best sub 250g drone I could find, for both travel and the ability to fly pretty much anywhere "within reason". Not sure it's "the best", but it's very good and I will not complain about either. The Air 2s "performs" better. By performs, I mean flight in wind and stability. As far as video and pics go, I give the nod to the Air 2s, but there's not really a huge bunch of difference to me.
Anyway, the Mini 3 Pro serves its function very well...it's small, has a decent camera, and I can use it without getting Transport / Nav Canada permission for some places.

Last edited:
I found the Mini 3 handles the wind better with the heavier "Plus" battery installed. I lost my Air 2s because it couldn't handle a 20 mph headwind on a RTH and died after a 17 minute flight. My Mini 3 laughs at those conditions. She made it home in about the same conditions or worse after 19 minutes and with 40% battery left. I'm willing to bet the 3 has a better thrust-to-weight ratio. The Pilot Institute recently tested the 3 and verified that powerful ratio. Air 2s battery life just sucks and is unpredictable.

Reactions: Dronecation
Not true at all. US you can fly without being registered with FAA but no so in the EU and Great Britain.
I just finished all the hoopla to take my Mini 3 Pro over and fly legally.
1 - you have to take the EASA test for operation in A/A3 categories. Additional test is required if you want A2.
1a - you must have a copy on you to fly legally.
2 - You then have to register as an operator in at least one EU country. I registered in Germany because that's mostly where go on vacation. This operator registration ID must be entered into the drone ID field to fly legally. The Mini 3 supports this so it must be done. Additionally you have to label your drone with this operator ID. I've seen pics of folks with label maker but the original rules stated it had to be fireproof and permanently affixed.
3 - You have to have insurance that will cover personal and property damage. This has been lowered to around $277k from 1 million euros. I found my homeowners insurance will cover me and the operator registration site accepted that.
4 - this is what's known as a transition period which ends in Jan 2024. Until then the M3P can be flown as if it belonged to a C0 class drone meaning it can fly A1 or A3. After 1/1/24 it can only be flown A3 since it is not marked C0 specifically (dumb IMHO).
Good lord... 😵‍💫

I found the Mini 3 handles the wind better with the heavier "Plus" battery installed. I lost my Air 2s because it couldn't handle a 20 mph headwind on a RTH and died after a 17 minute flight. My Mini 3 laughs at those conditions. She made it home in about the same conditions or worse after 19 minutes and with 40% battery left. I'm willing to bet the 3 has a better thrust-to-weight ratio. The Pilot Institute recently tested the 3 and verified that powerful ratio. Air 2s battery life just sucks and is unpredictable.
I almost lost my Air2S in New Mexico same way - even in Sport I was barely making headway.

The Mini 3 is a great choice. It has better image quality than the Air2S and the battery life using the extended battery is much better. With the upcoming release of the Mavic 3 Classic, you can bet the Air2S will be discontinued in the very near future.
Yup, I think the new mavic 3 Classic will take care of the air2s as it is older technology already.

Way late to respond, but as the owner of both the Mavic 3 and the M3P, yes, it's worth it. The Mini 3 Pro is great for my travels, fits in my backpack with my camera and other things, amounting to an easy carry-on. Love my Mavic 3, and use it a lot, but the Mini 3 Pro is great for traveling.

I have both the Air2S and the Mini 3 pro and tend to use the mini 3 pro more but still like the Air2S for many of the reasons already mentioned.

It doesn't look like DJI are thinking of discontinuing the Air2S any time soon as there are leaked pictures of a new SKU with the Air2S fly more combo and the DJI RC packaged together.
Just in time for the "holidaze!" My guess is that the Air 3 won't be far behind in the new year.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne