DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mini 3 Pro worth it?

Mr500CM

Reactions
I'm currently flying an Air2 (original) and thinking to step down to a Mini 3 Pro. I'm looking for a drone with a better camera, that's my main issue. The Air 2 fly's like a dream with no issues, Is it really worth the switch?

I'm currently flying an Air2 (original) and thinking to step down to a Mini 3 Pro. I'm looking for a drone with a better camera, that's my main issue. The Air 2 fly's like a dream with no issues, Is it really worth the switch?
I’m a retired cinematographer and I purchased a Mini 3 primarily for its camera.
So far, I’m delighted.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat,I have an air 2 also.The air 2 is a great drone but I think the more modern technology
of the mini 3 pro would make it a worthwhile purchase.Not sure it is a step down as the camera quality seems
to approach the air 2s.my main reason for getting the mini 3 pro is so it will not be effected by the goofy remote
ID law next year.

I flew a mini 3 for the first time yesterday and the only concern I'd have is stability in wind. Living in Ireland, a heavier drone can help make sure you have a successful flight. That said, it's so portable and the quality of what you get out of it is amazing so it might be the drone for you depending on the specifics of how you'll use it.

Buy the Air 2S it's a far better drone than. the Mini 3, I'm talking from experience.
I upgraded my Mavic Air 2 recently to an Air 2s, much better camera, and the other benefits that come with this Drone are well worth it. Also have a Mini 3 Pro with RC, great unit also, size and weight can also play a big part if travelling. I love both these Drones, as they both have their own advantages. Consider your requirements, as either Drone is great.

I upgraded my Mavic Air 2 recently to an Air 2s, much better camera, and the other benefits that come with this Drone are well worth it. Also have a Mini 3 Pro with RC, great unit also, size and weight can also play a big part if travelling. I love both these Drones, as they both have their own advantages. Consider your requirements, as either Drone is great.
I ended up buying both as well, and totally agree they both have their own advantages and with the leak that the new RC will support the Air2s towards the end of the month really makes me happy!

Buy the Air 2S it's a far better drone than. the Mini 3, I'm talking from experience.
I disagree, and I'm speaking from experience as well (A2, upgraded to A2S, also have M3P).

They end up being complimentary. For example, much better low light performance with the M3P, better bright light performance from the A2S.

In windy conditions, better flight dynamics for the A2S, M3P much smaller and lighter, so travels easier and can be taken on vacation to foreign locales and legally flown 'cause under 250g.

These are richly complex devices with many features and capabilities. Which is "better" depends on one's needs.

In reference to the the Mavic 3 Classic, this is still a larger Drone than the Air 2s, the Air 2s to some of us Drone flyers is a good manageble size, with great features and fits neatly between the Mini 3 Pro and the Mavic 3 Drones and has a great camera, and is very stable and very reliable. At some stage DJI will update this Drone, as has been with their other drones, but don't believe at this stage the Mavic 3 Classic, will be the replacement of this popular drone, in my opinion !

Reactions: pommy
The Mini 3 is a great choice. It has better image quality than the Air2S and the battery life using the extended battery is much better. With the upcoming release of the Mavic 3 Classic, you can bet the Air2S will be discontinued in the very near future.
I have both the Air2S and the Mini 3 pro and tend to use the mini 3 pro more but still like the Air2S for many of the reasons already mentioned.

It doesn't look like DJI are thinking of discontinuing the Air2S any time soon as there are leaked pictures of a new SKU with the Air2S fly more combo and the DJI RC packaged together.

Attachments

• 20221015_141616.png
    20221015_141616.png
    231.7 KB · Views: 13
I have 4 DJI drones and debated the Mini 3 pro. But we have moderate wind here and for that I purchased the Xiaomi FIMI X8SE 2022 V.2. It has a level 8 wind resistance and it is better than any of my 4 DJI drones in relatively stong wind. The best part is that it only cost me $429. No sensors but if you fly conservatively you don't need them. Overall, the incredible range and stability in the wind has surprised the heck out of me for the price. I use it for risky flights as I'd rather lose a $429 drone as opposed to a $1500 one. Liked it so much I got the in-screen remote controller as well and its also a real plus.

Last edited:
I would agree. The Mini 3 is a good drone for what it is. And compared to the Mini 1 where it's come in just a couple years it is way better. And while the Mini 3 can fight wind better than a Mini 1 and possibly the Mini 2, "fighting wind" means that you can get your Mini 3 back in strong winds, assuming enough battery life. But a Mini 3 is not as STABLE as a larger drones in higher winds. An Air2s will be way more stable, but you already know how stable your Air2 is.

Another thing is not only the stability of the aircraft itself, but the gimbal's ability to resist winds. I've had great clips ruined as my Mini 3 flys through the air, only to have the gimbal knocked suddenly to the side from the wind. That just doesn't happen with my Mavic, but was even more egrigious with my Mini 2.

I'm not saying don't buy a Mini 3. It's pretty fabulous for what it is. Just understand its limitation. One more thing... If you go with the Mini 3 I would strongly suggest spending the extra money for the DJI RC controller. It is SO much smoother flying than the RCN1 that DJI has made their "standard" controller. It's worth the extra $150.

Reactions: pommy
In windy conditions, better flight dynamics for the A2S, M3P much smaller and lighter, so travels easier and can be taken on vacation to foreign locales and legally flown 'cause under 250g.
Not true at all. US you can fly without being registered with FAA but no so in the EU and Great Britain.
I just finished all the hoopla to take my Mini 3 Pro over and fly legally.
1 - you have to take the EASA test for operation in A/A3 categories. Additional test is required if you want A2.
1a - you must have a copy on you to fly legally.
2 - You then have to register as an operator in at least one EU country. I registered in Germany because that's mostly where go on vacation. This operator registration ID must be entered into the drone ID field to fly legally. The Mini 3 supports this so it must be done. Additionally you have to label your drone with this operator ID. I've seen pics of folks with label maker but the original rules stated it had to be fireproof and permanently affixed.
3 - You have to have insurance that will cover personal and property damage. This has been lowered to around $277k from 1 million euros. I found my homeowners insurance will cover me and the operator registration site accepted that.
4 - this is what's known as a transition period which ends in Jan 2024. Until then the M3P can be flown as if it belonged to a C0 class drone meaning it can fly A1 or A3. After 1/1/24 it can only be flown A3 since it is not marked C0 specifically (dumb IMHO).

Reactions: Spartan Drones
@Brojon I like your signature. I am a great fan of Orwell. He was a prophet.

Reactions: Brojon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas