DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is their a faster decent available?

IcySparks

Reactions
Is there a way to descend from 401 feet to 50 faster than than what I get than the eternity it takes.

Not that I'd try it personally but thinking some sort of controlled free fall.

Just curious.

Last edited:
Reactions: rawkitt
I agree with AAPhoto... however, the descent (not "decent") speed on the Mavic is 9.8 feet per second according to DJI. At that rate of descent, and assuming you live in the US, other than the fact that you're breaking the law, you must be mistaken about it taking one minute. Descending 1,400ft (1,600 to 200) would take 142.8 seconds, or 2.38 minutes. Wherever it is you live, please stay legal and don't ruin the hobby for the rest of us who actually follow the rules. Click on the image below to be a more informed pilot.
know_before_you_fly_logo_778x300-832x321.jpg

Last edited:
Yes there is. For anyone that wants to fly at 1600 feet. Make sure u r in a open field. For a quick decent. Hold both sticks down and toward the middle. Your drone will be down shortly.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
I don't think this works though... I've never tried it, but it is my understanding that as long as there is any downward velocity, CSC will not allow the motors to stop. As I said, I've never tried it. ALTERNATIVELY, he could make sure RTH is disabled, hover until the battery dies and let nature and science take its course--it'll drop like a rock, or you could figure out the actual descent rate with this calculus;)
PolyVision_10_27_11_10_37_22.jpg

I don't think this works though... I've never tried it, but it is my understanding that as long as there is any downward velocity, CSC will not allow the motors to stop. As I said, I've never tried it. ALTERNATIVELY, he could make sure RTH is disabled, hover until the battery dies and let nature and science take its course--it'll drop like a rock, or you could figure out the actual descent rate with this calculus;)
View attachment 2981

Doing what I said turns the motors off at 1600 feet. Lol. Then the whole drop like a rock thing happens. Lol.

Reactions: devGOD
So, all joking aside, I had a toy quad that I could only get out of the sky sometimes by shutting down the motors and letting it fall, since it was so light that any breeze would carry it. Taking the throttle all the way down whould have the props free spinning and then I'd just fire them back up (throttle up) 20-30 feet off the ground for the save. Easy as pie. The Mavic is my first 'real' drone after several toys (some of them being on the larger side, to be fair), but I wouldn't think this sort of behavior would be needed simply based on the weight of the Mavic (to get it out of the air, that is).

So my question is: Will the Mavic follow this pattern? That is, if I put the sticks down and to the center, will it kill the motors and free fall the quad? After that, wuold the motor restart pattern actually kick the motors back on while in free fall and could you throttle back up for the save?

I'm not interested in trying it, but I am interested in the info!!

A
So, all joking aside, I had a toy quad that I could only get out of the sky sometimes by shutting down the motors and letting it fall, since it was so light that any breeze would carry it. Taking the throttle all the way down whould have the props free spinning and then I'd just fire them back up (throttle up) 20-30 feet off the ground for the save. Easy as pie. The Mavic is my first 'real' drone after several toys (some of them being on the larger side, to be fair), but I wouldn't think this sort of behavior would be needed simply based on the weight of the Mavic (to get it out of the air, that is).

So my question is: Will the Mavic follow this pattern? That is, if I put the sticks down and to the center, will it kill the motors and free fall the quad? After that, wuold the motor restart pattern actually kick the motors back on while in free fall and could you throttle back up for the save?

I'm not interested in trying it, but I am interested in the info!!

As was I.

My gut tells me that it wouldn't recover from a tumble while powering on.

So weird that as a licensed private pilot I can go rent a Cessna 172, and go fly into uncontrolled air space and no one bats an eye. Asking a room of Droners how a machine functions and disregard the FAAs recommendation and the responses get heated.

A

As was I.

So weird that as a licensed private pilot I can go rent a Cessna 172, and go fly into uncontrolled air space and no one bats an eye. Asking a room of Droners how a machine functions and disregard the FAAs recommendation and the responses get heated.
As a licensed private pilot, do you want drones sharing uncontrolled airspace with you while you're in your rented 172?

Reactions: zhongfu and Just
A

As was I.

Of course no one bats an eye when you opearte a 172 in Class F or G airspace? As a licensed airman, since you hold that certificate, by definition, it is proper for you to fly there since ATC does not exercise their authority in any uncontrolled airspace and you are required to maintain currency, medical status and proficiency. First of all, I don't think the responses got heated. I think they were (for the most part, anyway) logical and informative. You're not supposed to exceed 400' AGL... period. Secondly, if you're flagrantly violating the rules and bring it up in a forum, I think people should tell you about it, nicely OR (at least a little) sarcastically. Heck, they may not KNOW about the rules and I suspect that many drone pilots do not, but they do need to know. You're well aware that anyone who breaks the rules is, flatly stated, violating federal airspace and creating a hazard to GA and commercial pilots. When I enter the pattern at 1,000' AGL (or whatever the recommended pattern height is) at an uncontrolled airport, the very LAST thing I WANT to think about is someone with a drone who ignores the well-thought-out rules--but now I have to, in addition to watching out for pilots who ignore the proper procedures, enter the pattern incorrectly, perform a straight in approach and, my personal biggest nightmare, execute a straight in downwind landing (in the wrong direction)--in 40-some years, I've had it happen twice and fortunately managed NOT to pee my pants both times.

christmas-card-armadillo-WEB.jpg

Let's make a deal. You stay above 400' and I will stay below. No sharing....
My new kick is 30' above the farm with my $30 VR Glasses.

Was just curious as my RTH test took it up to 200' and seemed to take an eternity to come down.

Yes, only fly up to 400ft AGL like you're supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You can fly above 400 ft:
“…model aircraft may be flow consistently with Section 336 and agency guidelines at altitudes above 400 feet when following a community-based organization’s safety guidelines.”
“Community-based organizations, such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics, may establish altitude limitations in their safety guidelines that exceed the FAA’s 400 AGL altitude recommendation.”

AMA guidelines state: "AMA member can fly over 400 feet as long as the model aircraft is kept within the line of sight, does not interfere with manned aircraft and is operated within AMA’s safety parameters."

You can fly above 400 ft:
“…model aircraft may be flow consistently with Section 336 and agency guidelines at altitudes above 400 feet when following a community-based organization’s safety guidelines.”
“Community-based organizations, such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics, may establish altitude limitations in their safety guidelines that exceed the FAA’s 400 AGL altitude recommendation.”

AMA guidelines state: "AMA member can fly over 400 feet as long as the model aircraft is kept within the line of sight, does not interfere with manned aircraft and is operated within AMA’s safety parameters."

Where in the world did you quote that from? I sure hope official literature uses better editing than that...Either way, anybody with a mavic will you you that it's pretty hard to see the thing (clear VLOS) even at 400 feet...So the point is moot.

A

As was I.

I wonder what and how you have offended people here, I thought when you wrote "401" feet it was a typo anyway...

Can we get back on topic here and stop the ridiculous altitude police from hammering the chap for asking a perfectly reasonable question?!!!

Why not try stopping the motors just a few feet over something soft like a sofa cushion to try it out perhaps?

The quick start guide states "The motors can only be stopped mid-flight when the flight controller detects critical error." I don't what what that error is but you probably can't just stop it while flying, but it would definitely be interesting to know if that's true or not.

Reactions: LakeTravis and Loz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329