DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is their a faster decent available?

I don't think this works though... I've never tried it, but it is my understanding that as long as there is any downward velocity, CSC will not allow the motors to stop. As I said, I've never tried it. ALTERNATIVELY, he could make sure RTH is disabled, hover until the battery dies and let nature and science take its course--it'll drop like a rock, or you could figure out the actual descent rate with this calculus;)
View attachment 2981

*golf clap*

Reactions: LakeTravis
Prop wash is what will hold you back unless your moving,

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Huh?? That's a little bit PROP-osterous (pun intended, no personal offense intended.. sorry, could not resist :D)... Helicopters and all rotorcraft do not create propwash, they produce rotorwash, and even though (for the sake of our discussion) they are both created by blades, their aerodynamic effect is different. Regardless, during deScent, the motors only need to maintain the desired (according to specs) rate of downward momentum and variable application of power to maintain horizontal balance than when flying horizontally and/or climbing. Because there's less power being applied, the aerodynamic effect of the rotors would be lower and the amount of wash would decline significantly. I'm not an aerodynamic engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express... a long time ago, in a city far, far away. Speaking of which, and totally off subject... I loved Rogue One!!!

Reactions: chazzm
No really... propwash, rotorwash or whatever you choose to call it is the limiting factor

What Is Vortex Ring State And Why Should You Care?

I sit corrected then... though I think my rambling above is true up to, but NOT including the rate of descent where vortex ring state occurs. Who says you can't teach an old dog new principles of flight? Of course, the most interesting thing about all of this is that it makes perfect sense for DJI to limit the rate of descent.

Next, let's have a discussion of Piper aircraft "hershey bar" or taper wings... I know where I stand on that one! :D

Last edited:
No really... propwash, rotorwash or whatever you choose to call it is the limiting factor

What Is Vortex Ring State And Why Should You Care?

Thank you, I know LakeTravis really meant no disrespect, but I wasn't going to argue over it, I've seen and have had this happen to measure well, and an old guy told me I was going yo "wobble" to death, LoL moving out of this can be done but unless you know what your seeing it's usually to late.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Hi! I'm experiencing the same problem, since descending took so long I couldn't follow the paraglider today, have a look at the video.
Yes i was in Sport Mode... guess I should make the Mavic heavier :)
Hope in the future the sink rate will be faster!
Hi there I do have the same problem here did try to follow a paraglider and really soon I was way much too high .. :(
I'm suscribing this topic as we might perhaps have fw updates on sink rate :)

Last edited:
Yes, only fly up to 400ft AGL like you're supposed to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
If I caused a crash and was set 400' 1", I'd never sleep again, go to hell and maybe go to jail! 399' 11", and all's good. Is this why Catholics have purgatory?

Yes, the Mavics both sticks down and in, and and down and out WILL stop the motors in flight. The standard both sticks down and in WILL start them again. A guy on YouTube let his freefall for a bit and then restarted. And then started celebrating! An experiment over an open field.

I hit a power line in a Phantom 3 Pro, and it did a full forward flip and recovered a yard off the pavement. Whatever that's worth. I'd say if it's tumbling engines off, and you restart, I wouldn't bet much money on successfully recovering. NOT the cost of the Mavic. If I were rich, I might give it a shot. ONLY from 300' 11.999999..." and below though!!! And uninhabited below. And a dealer with a Mavic in stock. LOL

Where in the world did you quote that from? I sure hope official literature uses better editing than that...Either way, anybody with a mavic will you you that it's pretty hard to see the thing (clear VLOS) even at 400 feet...So the point is moot.
Nope. A mere spec still counts! As long as no binoculars are used. Do you have to be able to FLY it from a VLOS point of view? I don't think it says. If you look away from the spec, or blink, and take 10 seconds to find the spec again, you were illegal for 10 seconds. If you crashed during this time, it's your concience!

I watched a YouTube video, where somebody stopped their motors using a CSC command at altitude, let It free fall, then restarted the Mavic before impact and it worked perfectly.

Yes, i saw that u-tube video of a guy flying a P3A, that did a CSC & fired up the motors, saving it from crashing into the ground, but, if i recall he did the CSC at 700 or 800 ft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven