DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a basic map if there is no intenet or pre-dowloaded maps?

lomposlapos

Reactions
I travel all around the world. If there is no internet before/during the flight, and there are no pre-downloaded maps of any kind in the smart controller - will the smart controller still display a basic map that contains, at least, all the following:
  • home point
  • aircraft track and current position
  • distance scale
  • north (assume the top of the screen)
I need to know this to be able to navigate an out of sight aircraft, including bringing home if GPS is inop.

I travel all around the world. If there is no internet before/during the flight, and there are no pre-downloaded maps of any kind in the smart controller - will the smart controller still display a basic map that contains, at least, all the following:
  • home point
  • distance scale
I need to know this to be able to navigate an out of sight aircraft, including bringing home if GPS is inop.
Yes. If you lose GPS on the drone it won’t and you’ll need to visually bring it back by the camera view but as long as you aren’t flying in a mine or something where you wouldn’t have GPS to begin with then there’s no reason why GPS would be inop.

Common misconception is the GPS requires internet or cell service however that’s not the case. GPS should work equally well at all locations on the globe except maybe Antarctica but even then I bet you’d still get gps

• home point
  • distance scale
With no internet or maps, you'll still get a blank map that shows what you are asking about.
I find the map isn't really important .. I haven't used it for a few years.
I find the radar display is much more useful to know where the drone is and which way it is facing.

Reactions: Thomas B
  • home point
  • distance scale
You dont need or even want a map for that. The radar display is FAR more useful. It tells you where the drone is pointed relative to you, the direction its moving and importantly, the orientation between you and the drone. This display is far far more useful than the map.

Also, if the GPS is inop, the map display is useless because it doesnt know where it is to update.....

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy