DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a way to avoid tilting during yaw+lateral movement?

Jman13

Reactions
Site
www.jsteelephotos.com
So, I've searched for help on this, but most threads and things on Google turn up talking about gimbals that show a tilt when flying straight, or a gimbal that gets stuck...this is not that. I mostly use my Air 2S for photography rather than video, but I have been trying out some video for fun, and I'm having trouble with the image tilting whenever I put any yaw into the controls while also moving laterally.

See video (completely unedited):
Every tilt is when I am inputting yaw while also moving.

I thought the gimbal would account for the motion here, and I've seen video of the automatic modes where similar maneuvers are being made (such as circling an object). Is there a setting I need to set, or a specific thing I need to do with the controls to keep the horizon level while turning the camera during other movements? I'm in follow mode.

Thanks!

Click the 3 dots in the upper right of the main view screen, select the Control tab and check the gimbal setting.

You might be in FPV mode which makes the camera appear unsteady.

Also, in the advanced gimbal settings, you can fine tune the gimbal sway in each of the speed modes of the aircraft when filming.

At least that's the way it is with MA2, your results may vary.

@Jman13 ,do a full gimbal calibration ,and also check the manual gimbal setting in the App for each flight mode ,it could be that you have them set to soft ,so the gimbal is not reacting to direction changes fast enough i believe there is a factory reset that will return them to their original settings ,the symptoms your video is displaying is not right ,has the drone been crashed at all

Reactions: Obsidian Sereniti
@Jman13 ,do a full gimbal calibration ,and also check the manual gimbal setting in the App for each flight mode ,it could be that you have them set to soft ,so the gimbal is not reacting to direction changes fast enough i believe there is a factory reset that will return them to their original settings ,the symptoms your video is displaying is not right ,has the drone been crashed at all
Nope. I've done 10 flights....no crashes. Just smooth flying. It's rather new. This has been the behavior since my very first test flight. I'd be surprised if there is a physical problem with the gimbal because of how incredibly steady it is for photos, even in breezy conditions, and it certainly can counteract any change in the position of the drone when adjusting attitude and roll for wind...I'd think a non-functional axis would really mess that part up.

I'll try out your suggestions, though I haven't changed any settings other than to go to Mode 3 since they control scheme fits better with my brain.

Last edited:
Aside from FPV behaviour you might want to google coordinated turns.
I have a recollection that one or more of the Airs make coordinated turns (automated banking added to prevent side slip) but I can't remember if this displayed itself in video as a visually banked turn (like the pilot's view in an aircraft) or a horizontal horizon but with an obvious lack of side slip.
If I am correct I have NO idea if this is a switchable option or compulsory.
I assume coordinated turns would normally be associated with forwards movement but I see no reason why the idea can not be extended to sideways movement and or backwards movement.

Well, I'm an idiot. I did accidentally have it in FPV mode. Not sure how that got changed. Put it in follow and it was perfect. Also tried out spotlight mode and that worked beautifully too.

I thought so.

Easy peasy fix. 👍

@Jman13 ,glad you sorted it ,as an aside ,its quite often the case with firmware updates that a few of the preferred settings, that you have been using, get altered during the update ,i always make a note of my RTH height ,Max Height ,Max distance,and what the drone will do if it encounters a RTH situation ,as all these ,and some other ones ,can alter during a firmware update ,and then afterwards, check that they are as you expected before you fly again

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian