DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there ever a time when flying is to much?

xunhui

Reactions
Hi everyone and how are you all doing?

So I am just so thrilled with flying our drone. The MA2 is my first and not in many years have I picked up a new hobby and enjoyed it so much. We are out almost every single day and with 3 batteries we are flying on average 75 to 90 minutes a day. And due that I want more flying time I just ordered another battery, which will make 4 total. Realistically speaking, are we going to wear it out flying it so much and then I'll be looking at buying another so we can be back up in the air? Anything I can do to prolong it's lifespan or just forget about it and enjoy the fun?

Thanks and take care. Thumbswayup

If you fly in the desert and don't hand launch and land, I would recommend a landing pad to avoid sand in the drone. Also, landing leg extensions would be good.

Fly as much as you can! A drone basically has five moving components: the four motors and the gimbal. The brushless motor design is ideal for drones (minimum vibration, clean and dry environment, cooling air from prop) and should give 10,000 hours of service if not abused. Even if you fly an hour a day it will take 30 years to reach that many hours. The gimbal will fail sooner, but will not make the drone fall out of the sky, and can easily be replaced. The MA2 also has a heat sink fan inside the drone, but I assume there will be an indication if it fails. At any rate the airflow in flight will cool the main board until you land. You should definitely not be concerned about wearing out your drone by flying it.

Hi everyone and how are you all doing?

So I am just so thrilled with flying our drone. The MA2 is my first and not in many years have I picked up a new hobby and enjoyed it so much. We are out almost every single day and with 3 batteries we are flying on average 75 to 90 minutes a day. And due that I want more flying time I just ordered another battery, which will make 4 total. Realistically speaking, are we going to wear it out flying it so much and then I'll be looking at buying another so we can be back up in the air? Anything I can do to prolong it's lifespan or just forget about it and enjoy the fun?

Thanks and take care. Thumbswayup
Do you fly in the same area?
I flew once and was out of scenery with a battery to spare :(

Reactions: Peterson
Too much? Nah not if you're having fun. As @GadgetGuy said forget about it and ENJOY!

We fly for hours at a time on the weekend and fly almost every single day. We have 7 batteries and the ability to constantly recharge while out in the field working and put those capabilities to good use. So you should be good to go for lots of fun flying :)

Back in ancient times when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I flew R/C airplanes, a friend warned me sternly that it was not good for my airplanes to fly them so much. I realized he showed up every couple years with a new airplane and destroyed it. Surely, I got much more enjoyment mistreating my airplanes by flying them so much.

Want to fly my drones more than I do!

Reactions: xunhui
Thank you everyone and your replies. So we'll just go out and fly all we wish and enjoy the day and scenery. Thumbswayup

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Depends I guess whether its for the sake of flying, or for the sake of capturing video. For me, I've flown my own property so many times i just dont want to anymore, so I have to jump in the car and visit sites I have scoped out with Google Earth in advance. That keeps it fresh. Then there's all that video to process, its like I hate to waste any of it, but I tend to record through my flights... its a lot of Gb... I may have to rethink that now that its 4k!

Reactions: itsneedtokno
For long life...don’t crash your drone!!! I’ve not seen a crash yet, with flight logs provided, that has been the fault of the technology. It’s always human error.

Reactions: Tentoes
For long life...don’t crash your drone!!! I’ve not seen a crash yet, with flight logs provided, that has been the fault of the technology. It’s always human error.

Wrong... I use to work for Boeing as of September 2019. Can't say that about the 737 Max. I personally worked on the 737 Max Test Flight program and not once, did we ever hear anything about problems with the MCAS. But that was not my job to know, just replace and alter per engineering drawings. Yes I understand, do not crash.

Last edited:
Until DJI has an accident attributed to their technology, I am not sure your analogy has legs. When an automaker can be proven to be the cause of accidents or death, we don't recall all car makers. Just as in the case with the 737 Max, we didn't ground all airplanes. Only those that had a proven track record of failure...the 737 Max, on 2 flights too many.

Until DJI has an accident attributed to their technology, I am not sure your analogy has legs. When an automaker can be proven to be the cause of accidents or death, we don't recall all car makers. Just as in the case with the 737 Max, we didn't ground all airplanes. Only those that had a proven track record of failure...the 737 Max, on 2 flights too many.

Simply said... Technology is not always perfect, nor did the MAX relate in any way with DJI. The MAX is a little above DJI, or was. :( This is also off topic and just want my MA2 to last as long as it can. I do thank you for your info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise