DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there real life difference between range of Mavic air 2 and mini 2?

MGVision

Reactions
I have mavic air 2 and i am starting to think about replacing it with mini 2. My main hesitation at this moment is what is real life range which we can get with mini 2? In manual it states that it is the same ocusync 2.0 so the range should be the same on paper. Is it truly the same? Is there anyone here who have both air 2 and mini 2 and can compare in terms or range?
I know what i can get from my air 2 and i just dont want to downgrade it in terms of range.

Last edited:
I own both and have noted no difference. By the manual hey are rated for the same amount of wind but I would hesitate to use the Mini 2 in some of the wind situations that I know the Air 2 can take That extra weight comes in handy for stability.

I own both and have noted no difference. By the manual hey are rated for the same amount of wind but I would hesitate to use the Mini 2 in some of the wind situations that I know the Air 2 can take That extra weight comes in handy for stability.
I own both and the range seems similar, but wind resistance seems not the same. At least the Mini2 complaints a lot more than the MA2. The gimbal and camera is better on the MA2, so the Mini2 is not a great replacement if you need MA2 quality on results.

Why downgrade? Your money to do with as you wish, but makes no real sense. Mini is nice and can fly "somewhat unrestricted" compared to the larger drones - but that is about it.

I have a Mini 1 and it has sat since I got my Air2. Sure the Mini2 is better, but the Air2 is far more stable in winds. I'm keeping my Mini to fly outside of the US when we travel and that is the only reason. Otherwise I'd sell it.

Reactions: MGVision
I agree with the post above. I have a Mini 1 and an Air2. A Mini2 doesn't make sense as a replacement for an Air2. You'd lose features and stability. I *DO* like the Mini with prop guards if I'm doing a roof or attic inspection or for close-in shots with my kids on a playground, plus it was my first drone. But I am not planning to let go of the Air2.

I agree with the post above. I have a Mini 1 and an Air2. A Mini2 doesn't make sense as a replacement for an Air2. You'd lose features and stability. I *DO* like the Mini with prop guards if I'm doing a roof or attic inspection or for close-in shots with my kids on a playground, plus it was my first drone. But I am not planning to let go of the Air2.
The Mavic Mini was good but had serious shortcomings. Just about everything that is wrong with the Mavic Mini is fixed in the Mini 2. Even the wind capabilities are amazing, just less than the Air 2 because of size..... though it is more than adequate for the winds I like to fly in. Yes it is downgrade from the Air.... but not as much as you think. There are a few professional videographers on this board using Mini 2 to do some amazing work.

The OP was asking about range .... the Mini 2 has it in spades

Why downgrade? Your money to do with as you wish, but makes no real sense. Mini is nice and can fly "somewhat unrestricted" compared to the larger drones - but that is about it.

I have a Mini 1 and it has sat since I got my Air2. Sure the Mini2 is better, but the Air2 is far more stable in winds. I'm keeping my Mini to fly outside of the US when we travel and that is the only reason. Otherwise I'd sell it.
I am thinking about it from different perspectives. Let me explain my process of thinking. I had mavic 2 pro and although it had 1 inch sensor camera, the image it provides on good light condition was very very similar to image which i am getting from my mavic air 2 with lesser camera size. The image was also incosistant - center was sharp and looks great (better then mavic air 2) but on left or right corners the image tend to be soft (worst then mavic air 2) I didnt like this effect. Mavic air 2 dont have this issue - it looks the same all the way. Mavic 2 pro 1 inch sensor is better in low light scenarios but i was not really using it in low light so no matter for me. Sensors are something which can deceive you and fall into crash if you trust them too much - cant see small branches, so again not matter much for me. I am not professional so i was not working much in postprocessing data. The batteries of mavic 2 pro were also it biggest weaknes - swelling like mad after warranty period. So i sell it, bought mavic air 2 and i still had like 20% bonus money to spend. Now situation is very similar and it is repeating itself.
I was not sure in range that is why i was asking cuz i dont want to compromise this aspect. Wind stability is second and last thing that can prevent me to swap from air 2 to mini 2. Is there significant difference in this aspect or not really?

Last edited:
I use my Mini1 in rain and snow, slightly modified to take more rain. I use my Mini2 where I would not use my MA2 because of risk and legality, and I use my MA2 to complement my M2P videos. In short: M2P is king in my setup, my other Mavics gather around it in praise. That said: I love the new Mini2 for its usability in urban environments.

I use my Mini1 in rain and snow, slightly modified to take more rain. I use my Mini2 where I would not use my MA2 because of risk and legality, and I use my MA2 to complement my M2P videos. In short: M2P is king in my setup, my other Mavics gather around it in praise. That said: I love the new Mini2 for its usability in urban environments.
This is what is most compelling reason for me to swap - mini 2 in urban environment. Small size have its own disadvantages but also advantages. It is quietest drone in dji stable. Charging batteries from powerbank is also very nice feature for me.

Reactions: Crashdummytest
I am thinking about it from different perspectives. Let me explain my process of thinking. I had mavic 2 pro and although it had 1 inch sensor camera, the image it provides on good light condition was very very similar to image which i am getting from my mavic air 2 with lesser camera size. The image was also incosistant - center was sharp and looks great (better then mavic air 2) but on left or right corners the image tend to be soft (worst then mavic air 2) I didnt like this effect. Mavic air 2 dont have this issue - it looks the same all the way. Mavic 2 pro 1 inch sensor is better in low light scenarios but i was not really using it in low light so no matter for me. Sensors are something which can deceive you and fall into crash if you trust them too much - cant see small branches, so again not matter much for me. I am not professional so i was not working much in postprocessing data. The batteries of mavic 2 pro were also it biggest weaknes - swelling like mad after warranty period. So i sell it, bought mavic air 2 and i still had like 20% bonus money to spend. Now situation is very similar and it is repeating itself.
I was not sure in range that is why i was asking cuz i dont want to compromise this aspect. Wind stability is second and last thing that can prevent me to swap from air 2 to mini 2. Is there significant difference in this aspect or not really?
Mini 2 handles wind very well..... just don't expect it to do as well as a bigger drone if you push its wind limit because it is so much lighter. If you look on Youtube, there are already tons of videos detailing how well the Mini 2 really does in the wind and they are pushing it much further than I ever do.

Your money and your choice but I know I would not do it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ