DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this "banding" or propellers?

James G

Reactions
I was out shooting today and when I came back I found some of my images, particularly those shot in the 180-degree panorama mode, had these bands as you can see in the image. There are no filters on the lens. Anyone know what is causing it?jg-20210813-FC220-0019.JPG

I was out shooting today and when I came back I found some of my images, particularly those shot in the 180-degree panorama mode, had these bands as you can see in the image. There are no filters on the lens. Anyone know what is causing it?
Perhaps the darker bit on the left edge is the props.
Across the rest of the image, it's caused by the sun shining through your prop, allowing the shadow of the props to fall on the lens

Reactions: BossBob and msinger
Agreed. That's a mix of props and "prop shadows".

The sun shines under a degree inside your lens. Beware that we have seen this problems in the old days with normal camera's. There doing better these days but the quality of the smaal camera's isn't that good. This has nothing to do with your prop. The prop is mirrored many times in your image? Or do you think that it is multiple rounds of the same prop? What was the shutterspeed and what is the rpm of the prop? No, this is not your prop. It's the sun under a specific angle reflecting inside your lens.

The sun shines under a degree inside your lens. Beware that we have seen this problems in the old days with normal camera's. There doing better these days but the quality of the smaal camera's isn't that good.
It has nothing to do with flare or internal reflections, and nothing to do with the quality of the lens.
Larger modern cameras still show flare if you look into the sun.
This has nothing to do with your prop. The prop is mirrored many times in your image? Or do you think that it is multiple rounds of the same prop? What was the shutterspeed and what is the rpm of the prop?
The prop is spinning at several thousands of RPM and shows several times in the space of the shutter speed.
No, this is not your prop. It's the sun under a specific angle reflecting inside your lens.
It's the prop.
On the left, it's the props themselves and on the right it's the shadow of the prop.

What would think this is? (Shutter speed was 1/3000th)
i-Bt3Mnbx-L.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan