DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this Fishy?

MichiganMavic

Reactions
My neighbor, whom I just met a couple weeks ago (we exchanged numbers) asked me something weird today.
She calls and thanks me for helping pump out her flooded basement yesterday and then

Neighbor- “ I’m trying to get this government job and they want my neighbor’s name for reference”.

Me - “what job is this?”

Neighbor- “ at the airport. Can I get your middle initial?”

Me- “ what government job needs my name?”

Neighbor- “TSA, they just want it for my reference “

Me- “ um, well I’ll give you my last name, it’s public information and you can find it by Googling addresses anyways “

I spelled it out and then

Me- “ you worked for the Post Office, don’t they already have your background checked out?”

Neighbor- “ they cannot use that info, you have to fill out from scratch “

Me- “ ok then, hopefully you get it”.

Neighbor-“thanks for everything, you’re a great neighbor to have. “

Me- “ no problem, I’ll talk to you later, bye”

Does anyone have any clue if any of this sounds Legit?
Anybody have a Government job that had to get similar info?

My mind is all Cattywampus ?

Seems a little fishy you’re right!! Too late now !! If they do call you for a reference will you vouch for her ? Tell them she cattywampus !

Seems a little fishy you’re right!! Too late now !! If they do call you for a reference will you vouch for her ? Tell them she cattywampus !

I have nothing to hide [emoji41]
I guess so. I’d tell them the truth, that’s it.
She’s pretty cool, 30’s.
Her mom and dad bought this house a few months back, but the dad died before unpacking everything [emoji17].
She moved in to help mom out

Seems possibly legit. For certain government background checks (TS SCI), I know they do interview neighbors and friends. Whether or not TSA goes that far, I'm not sure.

Seems possibly legit. For certain government background checks (TS SCI), I know they do interview neighbors and friends. Whether or not TSA goes that far, I'm not sure.

I’m hoping it’s legit. My wife’s thinking nefarious thoughts though [emoji848] ( she’s into conspiracy theories)

Ive had to fill out a couple of questionnaires from law enforcement agencies about neighbors who have applied for those types of jobs but the forms were sent to me from the agency.

I had FBI agents come to my house (25-30 yrs ago) to ask me about an employee that had used me as a reference when he applied for a job at Rocky Flats nuclear weapons production facility when it was still open. So I could see them checking with neighbors for TSA employement.

I think it's legit. A very good friend used me as a reference years ago when he applied for security clearance for a USAF job. Military Intelligence (an oxymoron?) later interviewed me regarding his loyalty to the United States. I gave him the good recommendation he deserved. He got the job. I'm glad TSA does the same thing.

Thx for the responses so far. They make me feel a little better.
I’m hoping to hear from a Government Employee that went through this application

I’m the first one to think I’m getting scammed. But doesn’t sound like anything she asked you for will get you into trouble. Not to mention they know she’s been there a very short time and likely will not even depend on you for her background clearance.

It’s more likely you name will remain on file for decades an IF anything happens, they will come and ask you questions.

I would love to get a followup if anything interesting comes up.

BTW good on you for helping her out. Sometimes it’s okay to take a chance, but I think your fine here.

Thx for the responses so far. They make me feel a little better.
What's the worst that could happen?
It's not like she asked for, or you gave any information that could be used to cause trouble for you.
Anyone really wanting to get your name wouldn't have any trouble finding it.

Reactions: BigAl07
My brother applying for air traffic controller was asked for out names and contact info for background check. Looks normal to me

She already had my # from an exchange a couple weeks prior, plus googling can come up with that info.
I just thought it was weird that they would want my name in full being that she just moved in and I barely know her.
So why does the Government want information from her that they can get themselves?
This whole process is very Secret Squirrel stuff.
Should I be on the lookout for Black Tahoe’s ?

[QUOTE="MichiganMavic, post: 734669, member: 45653"I just thought it was weird that they would want my name in full being that she just moved in and I barely know her.
So why does the Government want information from her that they can get themselves?[/QUOTE]
She just applied for a job and 's one of the things they asked for in her job application process was neighbourd contact details.
That she had just moved in and didn't know theneighbours well is just a coincidence.

Why not simply contact TSA yourself and ask them why they want your details, that way you know for certain if its a scam.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne