DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this fogging?

Fog
is weather
You need to read all the posts before you respond. You have no idea what he is talking about. You see the letters fog in a word made up of more letters than just these three and think it means the atmospheric condition called "Fog" but the condition mentioned that you commented on, is nothing of the sort.

The poster said fogging, not fog. You need to be more careful with your reading before you comment. The words fog and fogging are two completely different things.

Reactions: Octisurfer
I found it to be a non issue and it was down to climatic changes from where it was shipped (early or was it late Spring? when it was released), keep some desiccant next to the lens if you find it an issue.

I found it to be a non issue and it was down to climatic changes from where it was shipped (early or was it late Spring? when it was released), keep some desiccant next to the lens if you find it an issue.
Dessicant is kept in the zipped case with the drone, next to the camera. It's quite clear that moisture is getting in somehow in flight, now the temperature/humidity is back to normal.
Let's see how you get on in the coming months now there's more moisture in the air

Dessicant is kept in the zipped case with the drone, next to the camera. It's quite clear that moisture is getting in somehow in flight, now the temperature/humidity is back to normal.
Let's see how you get on in the coming months now there's more moisture in the air
You can take the lens surround off with the 2 screws holding it and there's a sealing ring to stop anything getting in. If you have this problem I suggest you take a look at that! Maybe reseat it with a tiny amount of jewellers grease

Could it be moisture inside filter and not camera itself

Attachments

• 708DDF31-7936-4EDC-AE06-92FB85893D6B.jpeg
    708DDF31-7936-4EDC-AE06-92FB85893D6B.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
You can take the lens surround off with the 2 screws holding it and there's a sealing ring to stop anything getting in. If you have this problem I suggest you take a look at that! Maybe reseat it with a tiny amount of jewellers grease
I have.
Took the o ring off, cleaned it and reseated it - still fogged up. I'm reluctant to put anything on it in case it has to go back.
If you look at the threads on here, and the dji forum, this is a problem that isn't going away.

Yes (must admit) I had it the other day but I was up in the mist on top of a hill and once I flew around for a while about a batteries worth it went away (as I noticed when viewing the footage later) so I would recommend to give it while out in the open before launching (the drone was transported inside my jacket so some sweat obviously accumulated on the cold lens). It's just susceptible to a bit of climatic change. I was more concerned for the fog on my glasses.

If you have moisture inside your camera, unless you have a 0% humidity enviroment in which to reseal it, you are fighting a losing battle. Just send it back for a warranty replacement. Why void the warranty for a non-existent "fix"?

Reactions: Octisurfer
If you have moisture inside your camera, unless you have a 0% humidity enviroment in which to reseal it, you are fighting a losing battle. Just send it back for a warranty replacement. Why void the warranty for a non-existent "fix"?
Work under a hair dryer.
I feel DJI skipped a few corners on making the camera assembly so light it's crap! (Much like the DJI RC)...but still, charge a premium. Consumers always end up finding flaws in new tech designs no matter the manufacturer.
Everything is tested with a robot these days!!!

Fog returned for me as well.

DJI_0002 (Small).JPG

One workaround i have found is to use a filter - any filter.
The extra layer of glass seems to mean the camera lens itself isnt being cooled by the air as much so condensation doesn't form.

No such thing as a clear glass filter but im using a CPL set to no polarisation for stills and a normal ND for video.
Far from ideal but it does at least mean i can fly without the above happening.

Fog returned for me as well.

View attachment 156011

One workaround i have found is to use a filter - any filter.
The extra layer of glass seems to mean the camera lens itself isnt being cooled by the air as much so condensation doesn't form.

No such thing as a clear glass filter but im using a CPL set to no polarisation for stills and a normal ND for video.
Far from ideal but it does at least mean i can fly without the above happening.
Good idea.
I went through the heating procedure (left it over a radiator for a few hours) then bagged and zipped it with silica gel sachets and it seems to be ok now. Over summer I'd not been bagging it before putting it in its case, so I'll go back to that routine now.

shows the problem. There's an o-ring in there that often appears crushed or twisted meaning its not sealing correctly.

From the blog . . .

3) Internal Lens Fogging: After about a week of flying, I started having significant internal-lens fogging troubles. While I had been in a humid (Caribbean) location, it never rained on the drone nor got wet. I tried all the usual suspects, but ultimately determined it’d actually fog-up just sitting inside as soon as the camera started recording. DJI was able to confirm that my specific serial number was part of a batch of units that had a manufacturing error, and the company says that’s been resolved and that batch has been returned. In the meantime, I simply dismantled my camera assembly to get whatever moisture was trapped in there, and that seemed to resolve it.
------------------

So worth checking with DJI, they might replace if in the known problem batch.
DJI replaced mine.👍

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest