DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this Legal? Looking for opinions

sigh.......Why do a lot of people on here love to "judge" something/someone without knowing who/what/where/when and then, bloviate their perceived knowledge of the rules in this instance? Why does almost every conversation of a picture or video end up with "someone" always playing FAA (or other countries version) rule enforcer?
Yes, we need to fly by the rules BUT without knowing ALL the facts, I will keep my "impression of the situation" to myself.

UAS regulations are only going to be stricter in the future for recreational and 107 flyers IMAO. People will find a way to get around the rules. Radar detector anyone? yes, illegal in a few states but people find a way to get it done anyway. Why, people are free thinkers.

My two cents.......Honey Badger don't care

I guess the issue is, how would you get a waiver in a city where the distraction alone could cause accidents. None of those drivers were informed participants.

Like sure an air 2s or similar falling into a car would do way more damage to the drone than the car. But I don't see a waiver being easily gotten for that, also don't lilely see an insurance company covering it either if flown without a waiver.

As an ad it's also telling others what you *can* do with a drone. As there seems to be no disclaimer on bottom like you would see of risky driving such as "performed by professionals on a closed course" or such.

We'll probably see it in the news soon if the FAA didn't grant a waiver and sees the commercial. (or even if the pilot wasn't even 107 certified).

Reactions: LoudThunder
My speculation is that they already know.

As it seems like every video they posted since that one 6 months ago has been done 'safer', either thru a parking lot (Amazon etc, and whoever is doing the camera or drone really needs to learn how to pan), or only showing empty streets near the drone (kotn video).

sigh.......Why do a lot of people on here love to "judge" something/someone without knowing who/what/where/when and then, bloviate their perceived knowledge of the rules in this instance? Why does almost every conversation of a picture or video end up with "someone" always playing FAA (or other countries version) rule enforcer?
Yes, we need to fly by the rules BUT without knowing ALL the facts, I will keep my "impression of the situation" to myself.

UAS regulations are only going to be stricter in the future for recreational and 107 flyers IMAO. People will find a way to get around the rules. Radar detector anyone? yes, illegal in a few states but people find a way to get it done anyway. Why, people are free thinkers.

My two cents.......Honey Badger don't care
I so agree with you and notice the very same behaviors on this forum. Someone always plays the drone police no matter what you post. Also dare you comment on anything here that does not specifically say "drone" in it and they delete what you wrote. I have also seen that "Honey Badger" video and they really don't give a (Mod Removed) :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
What does the community think about the legality of filming a commercial like this?

All these shots can be done and remain legal, if the right drone and techniques are used. Use of a telephoto lens, traversing traffic & people is legal, staying over roof tops on the other side of the street, etc... If you have a good pilot, who understands the Part 107 rules, this can be done safely.

• Sad
If you have a good pilot
Judging by their video, their pilot is probably a beginner. Especially if you check out their later Amazon one. There were a few clips in the Cookies one that is clearly not staying over a building or sidewalk, but they could have done that to avoid unnecessary risk.

Based on images people have posted, at least part of this video was filmed in San Francisco. One image shows the intersection of Union and Franklin. 3BF677B3-86DD-4363-943A-DC9435BAFDC2.jpeg

Doesn't the weight, size and propeller protection come into play here too? Category 1. If you were in a micro or nano drone with a simple 1080p camera, you could be flying a platform that even if it did crash would be like a little model plane bouncing off the cars and zero damage. I still wouldn't want to do it over 70 mph cars, but in this situation, ultra light drone, very slow-moving vehicles, really didn't see any flights directly over people, and with that size it would be okay anyway if they had enclosed propellers. That's for discussion only, because looking at the shadow, looks like at least a dji mini size drone. Seems like they could have accomplished most of the required shots not flying over traffic or people, fly over parking lots, parks, or even buildings to get the parallel shots. Some from public buildings or balconies as they drive by. Would have just took a little planning to avoid the violations IMHO.

Doesn't the weight, size and propeller protection come into play here too? Category 1. If you were in a micro or nano drone with a simple 1080p camera, you could be flying a platform that even if it did crash would be like a little model plane bouncing off the cars and zero damage. I still wouldn't want to do it over 70 mph cars, but in this situation, ultra light drone, very slow-moving vehicles, really didn't see any flights directly over people, and with that size it would be okay anyway if they had enclosed propellers. That's for discussion only, because looking at the shadow, looks like at least a dji mini size drone. Seems like they could have accomplished most of the required shots not flying over traffic or people, fly over parking lots, parks, or even buildings to get the parallel shots. Some from public buildings or balconies as they drive by. Would have just took a little planning to avoid the violations IMHO.
Well, you'd need something of a toy Drone, because once you add prop guards to a mini, mini 2, mini 3, it would no longer fall under category 1 even if labeled as such.

Well, you'd need something of a toy Drone, because once you add prop guards to a mini, mini 2, mini 3, it would no longer fall under category 1 even if labeled as such.
Videos didn't seem that great. this .50 gram 12MP 1080p drone could have taken them. However, again, looking at the shadow it was more likely some DJI mini type drone, not something like this, just saying this could get the shot, could fly over people, at least very low risk on flying over vehicles, but not sure of the legality there.
1667694968691.png

Videos didn't seem that great. this .50 gram 12MP 1080p drone could have taken them. However, again, looking at the shadow it was more likely some DJI mini type drone, not something like this, just saying this could get the shot, could fly over people, at least very low risk on flying over vehicles, but not sure of the legality there.
View attachment 156792
I feel like that 'air neo' drone is vaporware seen it show up everywhere every so often for the last decade but never seen any actual product sold. (it could probably never handle the actual winds of outdoor usage like they advertised in a lit of the "pre-release" videos) edit: K guess it actually does exist, but for $150 isn't getting great reviews.

But far as video quality it could have even been the DJI Air 2, but judging on the controls and such, I don't think they have the best person for the job (probably whoever was willing to do it).

What does the community think about the legality of filming a commercial like this?

Chances are rules were broken, but what are you going to do about it? All I can do is my best to fly legally and safely. I know I have broken rules at times. Is anyone out there ready to cast the first stone?

• Wow
I wasn’t supposed to be flying under Bravo airspace also.
But I had LAANC clearance.
Other pilot wasn’t supposed to be BVLOS but he had an FAA waiver.
Other pilot wasn’t supposed to be close over 30,000 people at that concert. But he had an FAA waiver for his filming. Next pilot the same while drone filming over cars for that Fast movie. With a FAA waiver.

We can at least consider one FAA waiver easily possible to film this commercial.
Right?

Last edited:
  • Wow
We can at least consider one FAA waiver easily possible to film this commercial.
Right?
Possible, but unlikely the FAA would have granted a waiver for some of those situations given the risks involved, especially if none of those folks were informed. And I would speculate that someone who would know those processes and such would at least be a better drone operator in terms of controls and recording.

Possible, but unlikely the FAA would have granted a waiver for some of those situations given the risks involved, especially if none of those folks were informed. And I would speculate that someone who would know those processes and such would at least be a better drone operator in terms of controls and recording.
True, all great points yes.

View attachment 156792
That Air Neo is only autonomous, not directable to aim or follow something, and sure to be less than the 60ft range claimed. But I want one! 😊
75934DE8-2D1D-4793-B629-3FB54F666F74.jpeg

There's also the slight matter that parts of the flight took place over the Golden Gate National Recreation Area (as they pass the Franklin Bowles Gallery on Beach St. in San Francisco).
What are the chances of getting a waiver over that area?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2