DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this normal?

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
Hello folks.
Just a quick question . In the video link below , the image appears juddery( From 50 secs in) while I pan around during the reveal shot . It was shot using my mavic 3 pro using the X7 telephoto lens. Is this video glitch normal or are there settings like a higher frame rate which would improve these shots? This is my first drone with a telephoto lens so this is all new to me. Thanks in advance for any advice

Reactions: mereflyer
At 7X telephoto you need to drastically slow down your movement--rotation and panning. At 7x telephoto your subjects are poorly focused also. So, reduce the telephoto, move in closer, and slow down.

Reactions: twickers14 and slup
Also try using the spotlight mode for some of your shots, I understand it may not be fully relevant in this particular case; i.e. don't forget about spotlight.

At 7X telephoto you need to drastically slow down your movement--rotation and panning. At 7x telephoto your subjects are poorly focused also. So, reduce the telephoto, move in closer, and slow down.
The Mavic 3 has a 7x telephoto lens so its set at a fixed magnification as opposed to zooming in on a standard lens to 7x ?

As said... the panning speed is way to high relative the focal length. When going with tele you can't pan with the same speed as with wide angle, you need to lower it considerably.

Here some useful thing's regarding panning --> https://www.red.com/red-101/camera-panning-speed
That was very informative thanks . I'll experiment with a higher frame rate and slower panning

That was my initial thought-pan too quick.

Process the video at exactly the same frame rate you created it in. Dont let YouTube do it for you.

No , I just selected the telephoto lens and panned slowly as I could. Would higher frame rate help ?
Yes, a higher framerate and/or a slower yaw would help. Youtube is telling me this was 24fps. The greater the magnification and/or the lower the framerate the slower a yaw or pan is needed for smoothness.
As said... the panning speed is way to high relative the focal length. When going with tele you can't pan with the same speed as with wide angle, you need to lower it considerably.

Here some useful thing's regarding panning --> https://www.red.com/red-101/camera-panning-speed
That’s real good info at the link @slup posted. Also note that what cinematographers call shutter angle is what we refer to as shutter speed. A “180-degree shutter angle” means 1/48th speed at 24 fps, or 1/60th at 30 fps, etc. There are historical reasons for this obtuse terminology.

Right click on the original video file DJI created and click on Properties and then click on the Details tab. Look at frame rate. Edit the video in the same frame rate.

What are the specs on your card? The problem may be the write speed of your card. If it is not fast enough it will drop frames.

Reactions: Davros007
What are the specs on your card? The problem may be the write speed of your card. If it is not fast enough it will drop frames.
The problem is very obviously the long tele lens magnifying movement.
Anyone can replicate it with any SD card.
Pan with a long lens and that's what you get.

The problem is very obviously the long tele lens magnifying movement.
Anyone can replicate it with any SD card.
Pan with a long lens and that's what you get.
Perhaps you are right. However, I have experienced it with it with a slow card - even with wide angle and very slow pans. Fast cards are worth the cost!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne