DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this Tello still repairable?

Ronny St.

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I will try to explain as short as possible. A good colleague and friend of me with 3 kids of 2, 7 and 9 years old saw my Mini 2 flying on a visit here and it was immediately 'WOW! That is fantastic!'. Because they live near a local airport a Mini 2 would not take off (NFZ) at their location so that was a real downer for them. That is why I bought them a Trello Combo pack as a surprise which does not have GPS and since they have a very large garden of about 2000 m² surrounded by very high trees (approx. 30 m or more) they have enough opportunity to fly there without danger.
However... after a few try-outs the Trello hit a tree and got really stuck there. My friend did not see another option than to take an air rifle and shoot it out of the tree but instead of hitting the tree branche to snap it off, he got a bullseye shot on one of the arms :rolleyes:
It came down but with a lot of damage: one of the arm was partially broken and one of the motors completely came out. The prop on the broken arm got so stuck that I cannot take it off, even with the tool included in the package.
Incredible enough, the drone still starts and the 3 remaining motors spin as they are intended to do. Even the camera works without issues.
So they came to me asking if I could repair it. Being a hamradio operator I have lots of experience so for me I see it as a challenge to give it at least a try :p
On the internet I found replacement motors for about 10$ so it might be worth to try.
I reckon it might be possible to glue the broken arm with e.g. Loctite (or other sorts of glue?) and to replace the motor that came off, but before ordering I want to know if it it worth the effort of trying it to repair the little drone whatsoever.

Here are some pictures of the damage:

arm-1.jpgarm-2.jpgarm-3.jpgarm-4.jpgfront.jpgmotor.jpg

What is your opinion? Should I try it or just get them a new Trello?
And does anyone knows which plastic the arm and body are made of so that I can make the right choice for the glue to be used? 2 compounds epoxy glue does not work on some plastics, so I don't want to mess it up more than it is now.

Thanks for reading and replying!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wild Drone Pilot
Personally I wouldn't even consider gluing the arm.
One of the kids might be in the crash path if a glue job fails in flight.
If I were to consider repairing it it would be via replacing the body shell.
To be honest I suspect the best bet is look for a replacement drone on ebay etc..
If it works these are completed auctions on ebau.com, green prices sold

Personally I wouldn't even consider gluing the arm.
One of the kids might be in the crash path if a glue job fails in flight.
If I were to consider repairing it it would be via replacing the body shell.
To be honest I suspect the best bet is look for a replacement drone on ebay etc..
If it works these are completed auctions on ebau.com, green prices sold
I can follow your thoughts. I would not want to risk one of the kids being hurt by a repair I made! I'll follow up some second hand websites to find a cheap drone and try to make a decent repaired one from the two drones.

The DJI Tello is a great little drone My friends and I love to race them around the parking lot they are almost indestructible. BUT they do break as you see. We used epoxy ( it didn't last at all. Your best bet as Yorkshire_Pud stated would be to head on over to eBay for anouther drone. Save your parts for other repairs and get a few of those 10 dollar motors. The Tello is pretty easy to fix you just need a small soldering iron such as the mini ware T-101.

Reactions: Ronny St.
That's a Tello not a Trello. If they can travel to you and you can fly at your house, why can't they just go to a park somewhere and fly their Tello or any other drone? You make it sound like they have to fly it from their backyard. Common sense would suggest they just get in the car and go somewhere wide open, away from the airport, to fly a drone and have some fun.

That's a Tello not a Trello. If they can travel to you and you can fly at your house, why can't they just go to a park somewhere and fly their Tello or any other drone? You make it sound like they have to fly it from their backyard. Common sense would suggest they just get in the car and go somewhere wide open, away from the airport, to fly a drone and have some fun.
Oops, sorry for the typing error, I corrected it. You are right, but with 3 kids of which one is nearly 2 years old (and who obviously is not allowed to fly), taking the car just to get some flying fun is not always as easy as it sounds.
I will suggest it, but I am still looking to find a decent spare one ;)

Oops, sorry for the typing error, I corrected it. You are right, but with 3 kids of which one is nearly 2 years old (and who obviously is not allowed to fly), taking the car just to get some flying fun is not always as easy as it sounds.
I will suggest it, but I am still looking to find a decent spare one ;)
Maybe leave the youngest at home with mum and then take the others out to fly. I have an 8 and 10 year old and neither of them have shown much interest in flying drones in these past years. Maybe dad will end up just going out alone and buy a better drone just for him to have fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas