DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Japan to expand drone rules down to 100g.

Pretty disappointing to hear.

As drones come with enhanced capability despite their light weight, complaints have come in from the public about the risk of people being injured or property damaged in the event something goes wrong.

So these rules don't actually seem to be based on any scientific evidence that <250g drones are dangerous, just that members of the public complained about them, and then regulators decided to add more regulations.

I had considering buying a Mini to make travel easier to countries with rules like Japan, but if they are just going to define their rules downwards to cover even very lightweight drones, it's probably pointless to spend the extra money.

• Sad
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Yippee....It means smaller drones, with similar features are in our future! Isn’t that how we got down to 250gms?

I’ve just recently purchased the Mini 2, and it’s worthy of all of the praise it has received. The only way it gets better in my opinion is to continue to get smaller. Almost military grade [Removed by AMDIN].

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty disappointing to hear.

So these rules don't actually seem to be based on any scientific evidence that <250g drones are dangerous, just that members of the public complained about them, and then regulators decided to add more regulations.

I had considering buying a Mini to make travel easier to countries with rules like Japan, but if they are just going to define their rules downwards to cover even very lightweight drones, it's probably pointless to spend the extra money.
This. They thought they covered their @sses by giving an impossible to reach weight limit, only to underestimate the creativity of the industry. Now they just lowered the bar. Why not just outlaw drones if they don't want them around? It's so childish.

From another discussion it doesn't seem like there is a license system in place for drones in Japan.
But, according to the linked article, there could be soon:

“It also plans to establish a certification system for drones and a licensing system for operators. Broadening the regulatory scope of drones to smaller models is part of that effort. Registration will take place under the new rules.”

But, according to the linked article, there could be soon:

“It also plans to establish a certification system for drones and a licensing system for operators. Broadening the regulatory scope of drones to smaller models is part of that effort. Registration will take place under the new rules.”
Seems like right now, if you wanted to fly, you have to do two things:
* Register
* Request permission to fly, 10 days in advance, before every flight.

Seems like right now, if you wanted to fly, you have to do two things:
* Register
* Request permission to fly, 10 days in advance, before every flight.
The “10 days in advance” requirement only seems to apply in circumstances where you need special permission - more than 150 meters (492 feet) above ground level; near airports; above densely inhabited areas, around restricted sites:

It doesn’t seem much different to the rest of the world.

This. They thought they covered their @sses by giving an impossible to reach weight limit, only to underestimate the creativity of the industry. Now they just lowered the bar. Why not just outlaw drones if they don't want them around? It's so childish.
When drones get as small as a flying battery, only, then there will be absolutely no way of tracking or seeing them in the sky. The regulations will become redundant. They could appear anywhere at any time, flown by anybody and be gone just as quickly! Pffft! Now you see them, now you don’t. It will be like licensing a bird! ??? “Now let’s see”, says the regulator ..... “homing pigeons with cameras”!!!! Rule #5271 ........ Wait for it ....... ??????????

It seems that the <200g limit (and the possible upcoming <100g limit) are just for flying with minimal or no restrictions. Anything over those weights doesn’t seem to be much more restrictive than most other countries.

Reactions: BigAl07
When drones get as small as a flying battery, only, then there will be absolutely no way of tracking or seeing them in the sky. The regulations will become redundant. They could appear anywhere at any time, flown by anybody and be gone just as quickly! Pffft! Now you see them, now you don’t. It will be like licensing a bird! ??? “Now let’s see”, says the regulator ..... “homing pigeons with cameras”!!!! Rule #5271 ........ Wait for it ....... ??????????

I don't think so. You'll see be "visible" for things like AeroScope etc.

I don't think so. You'll see be "visible" for things like AeroScope etc.
Eventually the regulations will likely cover anything capable of being flown into the airspace of manned operations - fixed wing and rotary. The basis will simply be on safety. At the moment, the rules are playing around the edges. Drone operators won’t like it but will probably be stuck with it, against the regulatory authorities. Enjoy them while you can - legally.

Eventually the regulations will likely cover anything capable of being flown into the airspace of manned operations - fixed wing and rotary. The basis will simply be on safety. At the moment, the rules are playing around the edges. Drone operators won’t like it but will probably be stuck with it, against the regulatory authorities. Enjoy them while you can - legally.

I don't agree with have ANY exceptions to the rules.

Reactions: Thomas B
Yippee....It means smaller drones, with similar features are in our future! Isn’t that how we got down to 250gms?

I’ve just recently purchased the Mini 2, and it’s worthy of all of the praise it has received. The only way it gets better in my opinion is to continue to get smaller. Almost military grade [Removed by AMDIN].

Not really, none of the <250g drones perform well enough for anything but hobby use. Camera/sensors are tiny and the output is too poor to use for anything over social media.
They dont tolerate wind well.
And smaller/lighter means harder to see so VLOS becomes smaller (the new EASA regs peg the smaller drones at a defined 150m range for example).

Ultimately a better system is to provide a registration and maybe insurance scheme for people who want to use bigger, more capable drones responsibly.

Reactions: BigAl07
And smaller/lighter means harder to see so VLOS becomes smaller (the new EASA regs peg the smaller drones at a defined 150m range for example).
Do you have a reference for this (link)?

Reactions: scro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54