DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jello effect can you help?

doccy

Reactions
Sorry - another jello thread! I have had my mavic working faultlessly for months. Never crashed / landed hard.

Has been sitting in case for 6 weeks or so - gimbal clamp on.

Trying flights today - I see that I now have that horrible jello/ shaking effect.

Looking at other threads i can't work out what to do.

Latest firmware as of this week - controller and drone. All gimbal tabs are in right position I think. Compass re calibrated today (not IMU - not sure how useful that could be)? Also auto - calibrated gimbal in app.

I see it happening intermittently in flight - but if i hold the drone for a few minutes I can see it happen as well (and hear a little spasm of the gimbal motor). So it isn't a prop vibration.

IMG_20171231_140103.jpg IMG_20171231_140123.jpg IMG_20171231_140111.jpg

Video here and a few pics of gimbal mount.

Sorry - another jello thread! I have had my mavic working faultlessly for months. Never crashed / landed hard.

Trying flights today - I see that I now have that horrible jello/ shaking effect.

Latest firmware as of this week - controller and drone. All gimbal tabs are in right position I think. Compass re calibrated today (not IMU - not sure how useful that could be)? Also auto - calibrated gimbal in app.

I see it happening intermittently in flight - but if i hold the drone for a few minutes I can see it happen as well (and hear a little spasm of the gimbal motor). So it isn't a prop vibration.

View attachment 27763 View attachment 27764 View attachment 27765

Had same issue, I believe it is a weight issue. Started flying with nd filters and have not had any jello effects since then.

Reactions: doccy
Hi gilby. I really appreciate you posting.

I was skeptical - but sure enough... with my NDs on there is no shake in a 5 minute flight test. WTF?

I was trying to take photos so had the ND off.

This raises so many questions though! Why has my gimbal started doing this? Is it a sign of things about to get worse? Should I try and warranty it now or just live with it.

Using NDs all the time is fine for video - but if I am taking pictures it is a bit of a pain having to have one attached. Has anyone experimented with adding a tiny bit of weight on the gimbal that isn't a filter just to correct the shake?

I have my drones insured through statefarm. It cost me 6 dollars a month plus a hundred dollar deductible. I don't really care for dji warranty. They take way to long and knowing that I have my birds insured allows me to not have anerisms when I fly lol

U could also by a cheap filter and take out the glass and just use the frame for weight

Had same issue, I believe it is a weight issue. Started flying with nd filters and have not had any jello effects since then.
Same Here, installed Polar Pro filter and the jello disappeared.

My Mavic

Video I found to cure it

Last edited:
Reactions: doccy
Same Here, installed Polar Pro filter and the jello disappeared.

My Mavic

Video I found to cure it

Well that is a good demo. Now... are you just going to live with it or send for repairs?

Someone mentioned about replacing the little rubber bands that attach to the mounting plate. Mine are all intact - but are a bit stretchy. Anyone got a story to tell re that? is that worthwhile? Could it be that simple?

View attachment 27763 View attachment 27764 View attachment 27765

I had the same issue with the jello effect. It happened few and far between but still drove me crazy!! I did a bunch of research on other peeps with the same problem so I swapped out my MP at Best Buy. My new copter still has the same jello effect and it’s definitely not a bad gimbal because the new copter got severe jello effect while it wasn’t flying, just sitting stationary on the ground.

I DID notice that I got the jello effect more frequently in high exposure situations. It was cloudy but very bright still and then when it got darker, it went away with occasional blips on my vid. DISCLAIMER: I don’t know if the high exposure/bright light causes this “jello effect” malfunction but maybe my case holds water.

Anyways, I went back to Best Buy and bought myself the Bower 6-pack of filters. The ND8 filter virtually eliminated the jello effect, altogether. It made my 4K video look more cinematic, too (as advertised).

Conclusion: In my opinion, this particular jello effect is an over-exposure issue in the camera (or something like that). I don’t think it’s the gimbal. I don’t think it’s the wind or vibration (propellers), either.

Reactions: QuadKid
I had the same issue with the jello effect. It happened few and far between but still drove me crazy!! I did a bunch of research on other peeps with the same problem so I swapped out my MP at Best Buy. My new copter still has the same jello effect and it’s definitely not a bad gimbal because the new copter got severe jello effect while it wasn’t flying, just sitting stationary on the ground.

I DID notice that I got the jello effect more frequently in high exposure situations. It was cloudy but very bright still and then when it got darker, it went away with occasional blips on my vid. DISCLAIMER: I don’t know if the high exposure/bright light causes this “jello effect” malfunction but maybe my case holds water.

Anyways, I went back to Best Buy and bought myself the Bower 6-pack of filters. The ND8 filter virtually eliminated the jello effect, altogether. It made my 4K video look more cinematic, too (as advertised).

Conclusion: In my opinion, this particular jello effect is an over-exposure issue in the camera (or something like that). I don’t think it’s the gimbal. I don’t think it’s the wind or vibration (propellers), either.
Great Observation, I too have to use the filters to reduce/eliminate the jello. Researching this prevented me from sending it back to DJI.

Reactions: MattyP
Total opposite with my MP. Everything works fine but i always get the jello effect everytime i install a fliter. I tried with the bird off and on after the gimbal calibration but still get the same result.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998