DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TRC

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I just received my Mavic 3 and took it out for a short test flight. I was recording a 5.1K video with 50 FPS. Every half second it would jerk on my video when using my iMac and in Quicktime as well as in Lyn. It was extremely annoying and worthless video! On my iPhone 8 the live flight video looked smooth as can be. Also, the DJI Fly App on my iPhone screen disappeared with about 2 minutes left of my 8 minute flight/video. I could not bring it back on, but I was in RTH and the M3 came back just fine. At that time it was not very fr away from the home point and landed. On the Internet it seems like there have been others with the same problem. I thought IO was buying a flagship DJI drone, but that did not make me happy whatsoever. My Mini 2 never had such a problem and the 1080P and 4K video was always good. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Tom

Hi there & welcome to the forum 👋 :D

You're comparing apples & oranges I'm afraid ...

5,1K 50fps video will put a lot more strain on your computer than 1080P or even 4K (depending on fps though). And the live view you see on your mobile device when you fly is in a really low resolution compared to 5,1K on the SD card, the live view & the SD video stream are different & doesn't effect each other.

Are you sure that your hardware can manage 5,1K 50fps?

Reactions: GFields
Thanks Slup, for all the excellent information. Oddly enough, I have a 3rd cousin who is Swedish and I email him back and forth almost every day. No, I’m not sure my iMac can handle the 5.1 K video, but just naturally assumed it could. It is at least 6-7 years old, probably older. It is a 27-inch, Late 2012 with a 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 32 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 Memory. I guess I never thought it would be a problem. Suggestions online mentioned possible problems included a different memory card, but mine is a good one with proper recommended speed and I have taken semi pro photos for years; not having a computer capable of playing 5.1 k video as you told me; One guy said he went to 1080P and it was just fine. Other comments said it's probably a propeller imbalance and try different propellers; another said maybe it's in the motors; another said there are many people with the same problem and perhaps DJI should make it right; and someone mentioned maybe the SDXC card is not fast enough, but I bought a good one as I mentioned before. It is 256 GB and meets all the other recommendations by DJI for videos.

Hence, I will try to fly it again most likely Tuesday and try taking a video in 4k and/or 1080P which I have done on my mini 2 several times and never had a problem. I hope the problem is with my computer not able to play the 5.1 k video.

I will post again after I can fly again Tuesday to say if the 4K and/or 1080P videos worked out.

Thanks very much,
Much appreciated,
Tom Carlson

When playing video files on your computer a number of thing's affect the play back smoothness ...

-From where you "stream" the file ... from a memory card reader or a hard drive. If these "streaming devices" are slow you get stutter.

-If the CPU are old

-If you have a GPU or not & how old it is (separate graphics card)

-If your hardware firmware's are up to date or not

-If the video & (audio) codecs installed are updated or not

-And which media player you use (recommend VLC Media Player)

If you don't have a GPU all load to play a 5,1K file will fall on the CPU ... if it's outdated that will be the bottleneck. If you have a modern CPU + a modern & powerful GPU you might get stutters if the codecs installed aren't updated or doesn't fit the media player you use.

If your Mac is from late 2012 ... then yeah, there you have your culprit for sure. Time to upgrade if you want to go for the highest resolution in higher fps. And if you also want to edit your clips then the rendering of your edits from the editing program will require even more "power" than just playing the original file.

5.1K is demanding, and even more so...the H265 format. Did you record in H265?

My 2015 13" Macbook Pro can play 4K H264 fine, but not 5.1K without stuttering. It can't play H265 smoothly at all...not even 720p.

You could also use video editing software and export to 5.1K with 70% compression; that would be easier for a computer to manage. Also, export the mp4 file downgraded to 4K with compression. Finally, export downgraded to 1080p mp4. I think that will all confirm that it is a computer processing problem and not a problem with the original video file.

When playing video files on your computer a number of thing's affect the play back smoothness ...

-From where you "stream" the file ... from a memory card reader or a hard drive. If these "streaming devices" are slow you get stutter.

-If the CPU are old

-If you have a GPU or not & how old it is (separate graphics card)

-If your hardware firmware's are up to date or not

-If the video & (audio) codecs installed are updated or not

-And which media player you use (recommend VLC Media Player)

If you don't have a GPU all load to play a 5,1K file will fall on the CPU ... if it's outdated that will be the bottleneck. If you have a modern CPU + a modern & powerful GPU you might get stutters if the codecs installed aren't updated or doesn't fit the media player you use.

If your Mac is from late 2012 ... then yeah, there you have your culprit for sure. Time to upgrade if you want to go for the highest resolution in higher fps. And if you also want to edit your clips then the rendering of your edits from the editing program will require even more "power" than just playing the original file.
Last night before going to bed, I brought my 5.1k video into Quicktime. There, I converted it to 4k video and then played it. It played just like it should - smooth as can be and no jerkiness or any other types of flaws. I actually had three 2.29 minute 5.1k videos that I converted from that trial 8 minute flight and they all converted very nicely and easily into 4k, and they all played very well. That was the other thing that happened which I did not mention. I only recorded the one 5.1k video that day, but for some reason (?) it split it into 3 separate 2.29 minute videos which I will have to combine using Final Cut Pro or iMovie to make them into one continuous video that will last about 8 minutes, the length of the one original 5.1k video I recorder. Do you have any idea why that would happen? I am perplexed! Thank you once again.

5.1K is demanding, and even more so...the H265 format. Did you record in H265?

My 2015 13" Macbook Pro can play 4K H264 fine, but not 5.1K without stuttering. It can't play H265 smoothly at all...not even 720p.
Quite frankly, I do not know if I recorded in H265 or H264. The reason being, I am quite new doing videos and I do not know how to check that or even see what codec I am using. I just hit the record button on my controller that came with the Mavic 3 and then get a video of the flight. If you could tell me or explain, I would definitely appreciate your information and instruction. I have taken photos with my digital cameras for years, but never did much with videos using my capable digital cameras. Thank you very much. Tom

You could also use video editing software and export to 5.1K with 70% compression; that would be easier for a computer to manage. Also, export the mp4 file downgraded to 4K with compression. Finally, export downgraded to 1080p mp4. I think that will all confirm that it is a computer processing problem and not a problem with the original video file.
Dave - That is what I had done last night. I used Quicktime and converted the three 2.29 minute portions of my 5.1k video into 4k and the three videos played very smoothly without any glitches or problems. I will have to combine them using Final Cut Pro or iMovie to make my original 8 minute video I originally shot using my Mavic 3. I unfortunately did not see anything about possible codecs choices (H264 or H265) or compression in Quicktime, and I just hit the export tab and it started doing it's conversion and I saved it on my iMac. I am really new to videos, so please excuse my ignorance. Thank you very much and for offering your advice. Any further education about recording and enhancing videos would be greatly appreciated if you feel so inclined. Much appreciated. Tom (TRC)

There is a file size limit to recording which will break your video into a new file if it's exceeded. The time limit is data/resolution dependent. More resolution equals bigger file size and therefore, shorter time limit. The next file will pick up without missing a beat, just bring them into an editing program and chain them together to get 1 continuous video of your original length.

Reactions: slup
... but for some reason (?) it split it into 3 separate 2.29 minute videos which I will have to combine using Final Cut Pro or iMovie to make them into one continuous video that will last about 8 minutes... Do you have any idea why that would happen?
There is a file size limit to recording which will break your video into a new file if it's exceeded...

And I might add that this hasn't anything to do with your drones camera @TRC ... it's according to the SD card standard, not much a manufacturer of a SD card equipped gadget can do to fix this.

All cameras I have split files like that, Canon, DJI, Panasonic, RunCam, GoPro ... yeah you name it. The only manufacturer that have come up with a semi solution is GoPro. If using their "Labs" firmware it's possible to extend the files to 12GB, but it have downsides like total loss of the file.

Almost certainly this can be traced to recording standard that isn’t supported by the OP’s 2012 iMac.

More recent computers have h.265 hardware decoding as part of the GPU (graphics card). A 2012 Mac does not. Manufacturers are free to interpret the MP4 standard, depending on who makes an encoder they may decide that 4k is the max for h.264 encoding. Some use h.264 up to 5.1k. Some give you a choice in the settings.

That manufacturers of encoders have these choices doesn’t guarantee that the maker of the decoder will support all choices. It’s easy to update software decoders, but it is a very CPU-intensive task. Hardware decoders can’t be easily updated, and you may need a new computer to support 5.1k, 6k, 8k, etc. Or, if on a flexible hardware like a windows PC, it *may* be possible to just upgrade the GPU.

It would take quite a bit of CPU (processor) power to decode 50fps at 5.1k resolution on the fly. On the other hand, as the OP has discovered, the data is all there in the file and can be rendered/exported/transcoded to something that can be used for editing.

There is a file size limit to recording which will break your video into a new file if it's exceeded. The time limit is data/resolution dependent. More resolution equals bigger file size and therefore, shorter time limit. The next file will pick up without missing a beat, just bring them into an editing program and chain them together to get 1 continuous video of your original length.
Marc & Slup - I am very aware of how resolution effects file size from all my digital camera work. My latest camera shoots at 45 MB per shot and I shoot all my photos in RAW. That makes them very large especially after I post process them! Hence, that is one reason why I use fairly large capacity memory cards for my camera and why I bought a 256 GB SDXC card for the Mavic 3. I also have two 128 GB SDXC cards if I need them as well. Thank you very much. Tom

Almost certainly this can be traced to recording standard that isn’t supported by the OP’s 2012 iMac.

More recent computers have h.265 hardware decoding as part of the GPU (graphics card). A 2012 Mac does not. Manufacturers are free to interpret the MP4 standard, depending on who makes an encoder they may decide that 4k is the max for h.264 encoding. Some use h.264 up to 5.1k. Some give you a choice in the settings.

That manufacturers of encoders have these choices doesn’t guarantee that the maker of the decoder will support all choices. It’s easy to update software decoders, but it is a very CPU-intensive task. Hardware decoders can’t be easily updated, and you may need a new computer to support 5.1k, 6k, 8k, etc. Or, if on a flexible hardware like a windows PC, it *may* be possible to just upgrade the GPU.

It would take quite a bit of CPU (processor) power to decode 50fps at 5.1k resolution on the fly. On the other hand, as the OP has discovered, the data is all there in the file and can be rendered/exported/transcoded to something that can be used for editing.
SethB - Thanks for letting me know the 2012 Mac does not have the h.265 hardware encoding, so now I know and appreciate the information. It's also interesting that different computer manufacturers can choose whatever encoder they want and for the format they choose. Also interesting that decoders can very to support different encoders. Wow, quite complicated. I am thinking my 2012 iMac is old enough that it isn't capable of processing/decoding 5.1k video. Maybe someday I can upgrade my computer, but certainly not right now. I would not know how to upgrade software decoders anyway. I do have a HP laptop running Windows 11, but have no idea if it can handle 5.1k video since I use it for other things and never did much on it with photos or videos. That's kind of like photos taken in RAW format. It captures all the data so manual post processing can utilize it all, and basically make the image look anyway one wants. JPG images are actually preprocessed by cameras when the shot is taken. Thanks again for all the information. I am learning quite a bit from you and everyone else on this site and appreciate it so much.

And I might add that this hasn't anything to do with your drones camera @TRC ... it's according to the SD card standard, not much a manufacturer of a SD card equipped gadget can do to fix this.

All cameras I have split files like that, Canon, DJI, Panasonic, RunCam, GoPro ... yeah you name it. The only manufacturer that have come up with a semi solution is GoPro. If using their "Labs" firmware it's possible to extend the files to 12GB, but it have downsides like total loss of the file.
Slup - I was not aware that video files can only be so large and then the video is split into several different files automatically. Oh my goodness, I am learning so much and have so much more to learn. Thank you very much for all the information you have given me. You and the others have been so nice to me and I am very grateful. Many, many thanks. Tom

Pics & video clips are treated differently on a SD card...
Wow, they surely must be. This is all almost over whelming to an older rookie like me! Is there a memory card brand better for taking drone videos over other brands?

...Is there a memory card brand better for taking drone videos over other brands?
Brand is more about consistency & that the card can deliver what the manufacturer promises... Sandisk is usually a safe choice.

But more important is that you choose the right speed class for the task ... videoing in high resolution & frame rate require fast cards, below what's needed... & what you should find printed on the card.

1663610876392.png

Reactions: MS Coast
Quite frankly, I do not know if I recorded in H265 or H264. The reason being, I am quite new doing videos and I do not know how to check that or even see what codec I am using. I just hit the record button on my controller that came with the Mavic 3 and then get a video of the flight. If you could tell me or explain, I would definitely appreciate your information and instruction. I have taken photos with my digital cameras for years, but never did much with videos using my capable digital cameras. Thank you very much. Tom

Bottom right in the Fly app, you can tap to choose video resolution, encoding, white balance etc. Right beside it you can tap for exposure settings (when set to pro mode, which you obviously should do!).

H264 creates larger files, but I'm sure your computer will handle them more easily.

Bottom right in the Fly app, you can tap to choose video resolution, encoding, white balance etc. Right beside it you can tap for exposure settings (when set to pro mode, which you obviously should do!).

H264 creates larger files, but I'm sure your computer will handle them more easily.
In certain resolutions and frame rates however, it will only record in H.265, there is no choice. Usually the higher resolution and frame rate. On my Mavic Air 2, you can only shoot 4K/60fps in H.265. Then if you change the frame rate or resolution to a lower setting that has the ability to encode in H.264, you have to go in and manually change it back to H.264 from H.265. It doesn't remember the encoding from what you previously used on the lower settings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloⒶlerta