DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerky Flight Mini 4 Pro

WinterRanger

Reactions
First let me say that I'm not new to R/C flight. It has been a minute since I owned a drone with the Spark being the last one I used. A few weeks ago I had bought a Mini 2 SE and enjoyed it so much I decided to return it and upgrade to the Mini 4 Pro. I figured might as well..right? Today I received my Mini 4 Pro via FedEx. The Mini 2 SE was a dream to fly. Smooth movement and flight characteristics in both normal and sport mode. What fun it is!! To my surprise the Mini 4 Pro was not. Flying just around the yard I felt like how I used to feel when flying a new RC plane for the first few times. The drone acted like I was giving it way too much stick in ever direction. Doing a simple circle around the yard seemed a challenge with the Mini 4 Pro where from the first circle it was nice and smooth and easy with the Mini 2 SE. I tried several times to make sure I just wasn't anxious or over correcting. Nothing seemed to help. Is it just me? Did I get a bad copy? Is it the new design, and due to the fact that the rear of the drone "squats" when in flight? I was so frustrated that I returned the Mini 4 Pro with great disappointment and sadness. I wanted to love the drone because of all its great features. But for me, half the fun is just getting it out and flying around the property, and if that is more of a chore than a pleasure then why bother. I figured I'd post here and see what people had to say. Anyone flown both? Anyone else experience this? TIA.

Press the 3 dot symbol on the top right of the screen, then "control" then "gain & expo tuning" then 'play' with the adjustments in there, in particular expo. I find expo value of 0.5 to give the best predictability.

Did I get a bad copy?
Probably not, but it's hard to tell much from your description.
Is it the new design
No.. it came out 10 months ago and is based on the design of the three minis that proceeded it.
Millions of minis have been sold worldwide and they fly pretty well.
and due to the fact that the rear of the drone "squats" when in flight?
That's a clue.
It suggests obstacle avoidance causing the drone to brake.
Were you flying in a small area with obstacles around?
Did you try flying it out in a wide, open area?

@WinterRanger this jerky behavior you described, first appeared with the arrival of the Mini 3 pro, and has been carried over to the Mini 4 pro as well
as @Meta4 stated above it is a product of the OA, which makes the drones reactions to stick imputs from the RC seem over sensitive, if you set the OA to Brake or Off then that jerky behavior will stop happening