DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerky Video on Mini-SE

Chaosrider

Reactions
When I took the SE out for a spin this morning, the video was very jerky and sticky. It would pause for a second, and then jump forward. Repeatedly.

Has anyone else seen this? What causes it? How do you fix it?

Thx!

Are you seeing this while flying or when playing back the video?
If it was while flying, it was most likely the connection. It has happened to me before while flying but the video playback is fine.

I've seen this kind of behaviour on my mini (1) while flying and it's been down to connection issues. The video feed freezes for a moment or gets a bit laggy/blocky. It can happen when the drone is out a good distance and the signal is starting to get a bit poor, or closer in when trees get in the way (this time of year in the northern hemisphere they've got lots of signal-blocking leaves on them) or interference (lots of wifi routers nearby).

Are you seeing this while flying or when playing back the video?
If it was while flying, it was most likely the connection. It has happened to me before while flying but the video playback is fine.
I don't have the card data yet, but I do have an additional data point.

Both the Mini-1 and the Mini-SE do this. The Mini-2, doesn't, at least not the one that I've flown since I started to pay attention to the issue.

The Mini-SE is really basically a Mini-1A. The only reason I'm wondering about this now is that neither of them used to do this, and now, they both do. It's something that the -1 and -SE have in common now, than neither of them used to have.

So it's either a firmware issue, of something has changed in my electro-magnetic environment, which seems unlikely since I'm well away from any large source of interference.

A mystery!

Reactions: eva2000
I've seen this kind of behaviour on my mini (1) while flying and it's been down to connection issues. The video feed freezes for a moment or gets a bit laggy/blocky. It can happen when the drone is out a good distance and the signal is starting to get a bit poor, or closer in when trees get in the way (this time of year in the northern hemisphere they've got lots of signal-blocking leaves on them) or interference (lots of wifi routers nearby).
The mystery in my case is that the frequency of the problem changed. This is flying in the same location, along routes I've traveled before. And the pine trees retain their signal-blocking capability year round!

The connection tech is much different between the SE and Mini 2 hence why they have different controllers. The SE is going to be more susceptible to interference.

If you are flying around a suburban area the SE is going to have significant problems. Literally some house could have installed a new wireless router that is now interfering with your drone comms. Or some business could have installed point to point antennas to connect a remote building flooding your typical lane. That is where some of the newer protocols help out.

You may want to try running an older version of the fly app, I was having video loss problems with both the mini and SE where if it lost the feed it might get it back with a jump or it might just stay frozen until I dropped out of the app and back in, note that while the video feed was frozen all other telemetry was working (I flew the drone back using the map a few times).
I looked up the first version of the fly app to support the SE and downgraded my copy to that version and have had no issues since with the SE (can't comment on the mini because that is now gone)

The connection tech is much different between the SE and Mini 2 hence why they have different controllers. The SE is going to be more susceptible to interference.

If you are flying around a suburban area the SE is going to have significant problems. Literally some house could have installed a new wireless router that is now interfering with your drone comms. Or some business could have installed point to point antennas to connect a remote building flooding your typical lane. That is where some of the newer protocols help out.
All true.

The mystery for me is that flying the same drones, in the same area, the problem didn't used to exist, and now it does...

You may want to try running an older version of the fly app, I was having video loss problems with both the mini and SE where if it lost the feed it might get it back with a jump or it might just stay frozen until I dropped out of the app and back in, note that while the video feed was frozen all other telemetry was working (I flew the drone back using the map a few times).
I looked up the first version of the fly app to support the SE and downgraded my copy to that version and have had no issues since with the SE (can't comment on the mini because that is now gone)
So far it's always "caught up". It doesn't generally get stuck for more than a few seconds, but it's very noticeable.

I'm not into the "app downgrading" thing. It doesn't make them unflyable, or not fun. It's just annoying.

Perhaps it will eventually just go away, just like it mysteriously appeared...

Thx.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929