DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jittery video

pshah

Reactions
Hello all, need some help please,

I have used the litchi app for a waypoint mission, and I am getting jittery video, ie i am unable yo get smooth video.

This is what I have tried: gimbal settings on interpolate, tried the video at various frame rates, and also made sure of correct shutter speed, have also used nd16 filter, and still no smooth video

Do you think this could be because of the interpolate setting when camera moves from one viewpoint to another?

The waypoint mission has various heights, 9 waypoints and about 7 viewpoints.

I have run the mission about 6 times with various settings and still jittery video, its not bad, but its not cinematic smooth

Any help/ ideas would be appreciated

Post a sample of what you're talking about. (FWIW, interpolate should help, not hurt, when it comes to camera movement).

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
Post a sample of what you're talking about. (FWIW, interpolate should help, not hurt, when it comes to camera movement).

Trying to upload the video here, but see no options for that, only options for photo

I have a few suggestions. First, using the DJI Go App, and flying manually, does jittery video occur? If yes, suggest you check your SD card and reformat it, take it out and clean the contacts and/or replace it. Could be it’s not keeping up with the write speed

Now if it records fine in another app, and only jitters when using Litchi, then I’d go check the cache video settings and disable them. I know that sounds odd, but give it a shot.

Reactions: pshah
I have a few suggestions. First, using the DJI Go App, and flying manually, does jittery video occur? If yes, suggest you check your SD card and reformat it, take it out and clean the contacts and/or replace it. Could be it’s not keeping up with the write speed

Now if it records fine in another app, and only jitters when using Litchi, then I’d go check the cache video settings and disable them. I know that sounds odd, but give it a shot.

Thanks, will try that

So what happened? [emoji327]

Not sure yet, will check out the video once I get home, i did one video with the video cache off and one video with video cache on, the video cache on video was jittery on my iphone

so I think I figured out what is happening, but I am not sure if this is normal or not. If I take the video directly from the drone, i.e. if I shot in 4k etc and try to view the video on my laptop, it seems very jittery, with lots of breaks, and missed frames etc.. basically unwatchable. i recently downloaded VSDC Free Video Editor, and within that I import the file, and i convert it to something else, then the video gets smooth, so maybe the problem is not the mavic but the power of my iphone 6s, and my laptops that cannot handle high 4k quality, has anyone else expereinced this?

so I think I figured out what is happening, but I am not sure if this is normal or not. If I take the video directly from the drone, i.e. if I shot in 4k etc and try to view the video on my laptop, it seems very jittery, with lots of breaks, and missed frames etc.. basically unwatchable. i recently downloaded VSDC Free Video Editor, and within that I import the file, and i convert it to something else, then the video gets smooth, so maybe the problem is not the mavic but the power of my iphone 6s, and my laptops that cannot handle high 4k quality, has anyone else expereinced this?

Are you copying it off the SD card and then watching or trying to play it back straight from the SD card?

Are you copying it off the SD card and then watching or trying to play it back straight from the SD card?

I have tried both ways with the same result, jittery, the jitteryness goes away if I convert it to 1920*1080 full hd

so I think I figured out what is happening, but I am not sure if this is normal or not. If I take the video directly from the drone, i.e. if I shot in 4k etc and try to view the video on my laptop, it seems very jittery, with lots of breaks, and missed frames etc.. basically unwatchable.

From the video posted and the sound of what you're describing here, it has nothing to do with the recording of the video by the Mavic (or with Litchi) but your playback. Just be aware that in order to play back 4K video, you must have a pretty powerful computer with up-to-date software and a decent video card. "Jittery" video is caused by the inability of the computer to keep up with the video processing, so it skips frames and becomes unwatchable. It's also why the video becomes smooth when you downsample to a lower resolution.

Take your video and watch it on a better computer. Or shoot in a lower resolution and see if your video doesn't display properly on your current computer. If a different computer (more powerful and capable of processing 4K video) shows it fine, then it's the computer. If even the best computer doesn't display the 4K video well, then it's the write speed of your SD card.

From the video posted and the sound of what you're describing here, it has nothing to do with the recording of the video by the Mavic (or with Litchi) but your playback. Just be aware that in order to play back 4K video, you must have a pretty powerful computer with up-to-date software and a decent video card. "Jittery" video is caused by the inability of the computer to keep up with the video processing, so it skips frames and becomes unwatchable. It's also why the video becomes smooth when you downsample to a lower resolution.

Take your video and watch it on a better computer. Or shoot in a lower resolution and see if your video doesn't display properly on your current computer. If a different computer (more powerful and capable of processing 4K video) shows it fine, then it's the computer. If even the best computer doesn't display the 4K video well, then it's the write speed of your SD card.

The card I am using is a sandisk u3 card

Upon further experimentation, I have found the solution to the jitter or stutter in the videos. So basically the mavic is fine, there is no problem with it, I find that using 30 frames is better than 24 frames. Also recording in 4k is also not a problem. The video stutter I am seeing is definitely due to my computer power, even with 2k video. What I did was edit the video down to 1920x1080p, but you have to be careful in using the exact frame rate in your video editing software i.e. if you shot in 30 frames, then you have to make sure the editing video is also at 30 frames. This has totally eliminated the video stutter, ofcourse there will still be stutter if you pan too fast. But I hope this helps others who think they may have a problem with the mavic pro. If anyone needs any clarification on this, please feel free to ask, thanks :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe