DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Joy Stick Calibration

It's not fully clear if the unintended yawing you have occurs when you try to use the same stick to ascend or descend or if it's just yawing with you not touching anything ... but never the less, looking into the flight log (.TXT) from such a flight will reveal if you have ghost rudder commands or not.

It's pretty common that the left stick will start to suffer of ghost rudder commands when trying to maneuver only the throttle to either ascend or descend ... this can be fixed by cleaning components inside the RC.

After a year of using my MA1 I started to get these annoying yaw movements when mostly trying to just descend/ascend ... it escalated to a silly level where I no longer could descend combining elevator for forward travel without turning off to another direction due to these ghost rudder inputs. The ghost inputs was clearly visible in the logs & also when trying to calibrate the sticks ... & couldn't get them to go away.

Then took the decision to break up my RC to clean them out ... followed attached YT vid ... pretty nerve wrecking to get it apart, took a good one & a half hours with leg stretches in between, but eventually I scored success without damaging some small plastic tab. No visible dirt, dust or debris ... but used alcohol & cleaned off the areas shown in the vid on both sticks, put everything together ... and problem solved.

Reactions: dirkclod
Well dirkclod I tried it again, first I flew over my house, still turning right. I calibrated everything again but this time after calibration complete I noticed, restart.
I know I missed that last time out in the sun, so I restarted and I noticed the AC went back to camera and ready to fly.
I flew again and all went like new. Since everything was working properly, I decided to fly away a good distance and hit RTH.
I have had this Mavic Air for almost two years and never have used RTH. I hit it and I guess to my surprise it landed on my 2'x2' piece of plywood
dead center. I guess I was surprised because I have heard of them being off a few feet or meters.
So for now alls well, again thanks for the input.
Happy Flying.

Reactions: dirkclod
It's not fully clear if the unintended yawing you have occurs when you try to use the same stick to ascend or descend or if it's just yawing with you not touching anything ... but never the less, looking into the flight log (.TXT) from such a flight will reveal if you have ghost rudder commands or not.

It's pretty common that the left stick will start to suffer of ghost rudder commands when trying to maneuver only the throttle to either ascend or descend ... this can be fixed by cleaning components inside the RC.

After a year of using my MA1 I started to get these annoying yaw movements when mostly trying to just descend/ascend ... it escalated to a silly level where I no longer could descend combining elevator for forward travel without turning off to another direction due to these ghost rudder inputs. The ghost inputs was clearly visible in the logs & also when trying to calibrate the sticks ... & couldn't get them to go away.

Then took the decision to break up my RC to clean them out ... followed attached YT vid ... pretty nerve wrecking to get it apart, took a good one & a half hours with leg stretches in between, but eventually I scored success without damaging some small plastic tab. No visible dirt, dust or debris ... but used alcohol & cleaned off the areas shown in the vid on both sticks, put everything together ... and problem solved.

Sorry SLUP I did not see this post until I posted the previous. Yes I mentioned before about possible cleaning or lube. But to answer your question, my Air turned standing still
but all seems well now.
Thanks. Oh that's another thing I have never done, find flight logs. Always something to learn.

Well, I have always said I would not want to take the controller apart (even though I am very mechanically inclined). I would buy a new one first, and then take the old apart to see how things work, (just in case).
Nice video though (and you see how those little parts can jump around), I may use it someday.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa