DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jumpy Hyperlapse Sunset

Dale, try the above. It’s got to be something simple that we are all missing.
I think the simple thing that's being missed is there is too much ground/landscape in the shots.. When you only have the camera aimed in the air its hard to notice the movement. When you have something static like the landscape below you are going to see all the ac movements. It makes sense, although a hyperlapse with landscapes included would be ideal the nature of the beast is the ac is always fighting and repositioning trying to maintain stability. The best hyperlapse shots are usually in windy conditions which unfortunately isn't the best scenario for what you're trying to accomplish.

Try just shooting the clouds with no landscape to see if you can notice the jitters.

I think the simple thing that's being missed is there is too much ground/landscape in the shots.. when you only have the camera aimed in the air its hard to notice the movement. when you have something static like the landscape below you are going to see all the ac movements. It makes sense, although a hyperlapse with landscapes included would be ideal the nature of the beast is the ac is always fighting and repositioning trying to maintain stability. The best hyperlapse shots are usually in windy conditions which unfortunately isn't the best scenario for what you're trying to accomplish.

Try just shooting the clouds with no landscape to see if you can notice the jitters.
Not the problem and has never occurred with my M2P when I shoot sunsets over the distant Mtns range to the west... and I always include the ground/Mtns.... problem is being worked on.

Just a note to say, you can use warpbstablizer and speed changes at the same time. Free your speed changes, ‘nest’ the video, before warp stabiliser.
In Premiere pro, you simply right click on your video, and select nest. However in after effects, it’s a little more tricky. (I’m sure you can google how to nest videos in AE)

I first learnt how how to carry out a professional end to end hyper lapse process watching the below video; maybe this will hell you too.

One problem is that I cannot use Warp Stabilizer on a clip that has already had its speed altered. I have to sometimes shorten a clip that is too long. If I do that and then put it through Warp Stabiliser, I get an error message saying I cannot do it.
Have you tried rendering the warp stabilized version THEN altering the speed?

I don't know that I can add anything to this conversation except to say that I went back to look at my hyperlapse videos with an Mavic 2 pro and they are rock solid. It will be interesting and helpful to all of us once it is discovered what is causing the wobbles in Dale's hyperlapse.

Just a note to say, you can use warpbstablizer and speed changes at the same time. Free your speed changes, ‘nest’ the video, before warp stabiliser.
In Premiere pro, you simply right click on your video, and select nest. However in after effects, it’s a little more tricky. (I’m sure you can google how to nest videos in AE)

I first learnt how how to carry out a professional end to end hyper lapse process watching the below video; maybe this will hell you too.
dkuhne:

Can you please explain the term,"free your speed changes."? I know how to nest individual clips to make them seem as one clip, and I well know LRTimelapse, having used it since 2019. I have three jumpy sunset clips that I will nest together, then warp stabilize in Premiere. If that does not work, I already know how to warp stabilize in AE also. I do not know how to to the more advanced wrap stabilization with tracking boxes.

Dale

I don't know that I can add anything to this conversation except to say that I went back to look at my hyperlapse videos with an Mavic 2 pro and they are rock solid. It will be interesting and helpful to all of us once it is discovered what is causing the wobbles in Dale's hyperlapse.
I think the 2 second shutter intervals on a windy day will always cause wobbles, probably just needs to use warp stab properly.

I think the 2 second shutter intervals on a windy day will always cause wobbles, probably just needs to use warp stab properly.
The problem is, 5 second intervals do not do well with RAW files. I have already explained that this problem occurs with earlier examples of hyperlapse with absolutely no wind.

dkuhne:

Can you please explain the term,"free your speed changes."? I know how to nest individual clips to make them seem as one clip, and I well know LRTimelapse, having used it since 2019. I have three jumpy sunset clips that I will nest together, then warp stabilize in Premiere. If that does not work, I already know how to warp stabilize in AE also. I do not know how to to the more advanced wrap stabilization with tracking boxes.

Dale
Sorry; that was a typo.

forget multiple clips for a moment, and imagine you just have 1 clip. Change the speed of this 1 clip to whatever you want it to be, then nest this 1 clip. Now use warp stabiliser on it on the nested version)

(Nesting can be used to combine multiple videos, but it can also be used to apply multiple effects to 1 clip) as you mentioned you cannot use warp stabiliser after you’ve changed the speed of it.

Sorry; that was a typo.

forget multiple clips for a moment, and imagine you just have 1 clip. Change the speed of this 1 clip to whatever you want it to be, then nest this 1 clip. Now use warp stabiliser on it on the nested version)

(Nesting can be used to combine multiple videos, but it can also be used to apply multiple effects to 1 clip) as you mentioned you cannot use warp stabiliser after you’ve changed the speed of it.
dkuhne:

Sorry to seem confused but can I nest a single clip (Right click>nest)? Or do I have to nest at least two clips? I could go to Premiere and try it out, but I would like to ask you first.

Dale

dkuhne:

Sorry to seem confused but can I nest a single clip (Right click>nest)? Or do I have to nest at least two clips? I could go to Premiere and try it out, but I would like to ask you first.

Dale
Yes, literally just right click and nest. Then apply warp Stabiliser to that nest. Works fine on one clip.

Great! Just to mention, however, I have already warp stabilized these wobbly clips in warp stabilization without speed changes and they are just as wobbly.

My question is, (considering the wind) is it even possible to get a smooth flight while staying in one spot for 20 minutes-even with low or no winds? The short video (18 seconds) will be self explanatory;
I think that it's a compromise between the subject and the wind direction. With the artificial horizon (attitude indicator) you can determine if the drone is fighting a crosswind or at least staying in a wings level position. That being said I've shot fairly smooth hyperlapse's with the drone in a pretty good bank the entire duration.
They sure are fun to shoot.

Great! Just to mention, however, I have already warp stabilized these wobbly clips in warp stabilization without speed changes and they are just as wobbly.
Oh, one other thing - when you are selecting warp stabiliser, are you changing it to ‘no motion’ instead of ‘smooth motion’?

Iv tryed in the wind and it’s going be crappy, best Iv taking were with no wind, sorry I have no answer

Dale, warp stabilizer is a "decent" tool but when it fails you need to import the clip into After Affects and familiarize yourself with its very advanced stabilizer options. Takes more time and manual adjustments but your results will be professional quality. Recommend creating proxies to reduce the frustration of learning a new technique; stabilizer in AE is advanced but slow, even on high end machines. Once you get the hang of it you'll start to get "artsy" and make some very cool transitions (You'll see what I'm talking about when you crack open the tool).

Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy