Join Us Now

African Safari- Kenya October,2023

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
African Safari to Kenya October 2023

Hi Guys and Gals:

How would like to go on a 2 ½ week African safari to Kenya and the magnificent Maasai Mara National Park and stay in two high end luxury camps with two game drives a day and amazing meals and service? You will have the safari vehicle all to yourself to dwell as long as you want on any item you wish to photograph, and you will have one of the best cameras and longest lenses available. You’ll go by Business class on Qatar Airways, with time to rest in Nairobi on both ends of the trip.

Instead of spending 2 ½ weeks and your money you can experience it right here in this 17 minute video. Just go to full screen+ sound, or even put this on your big screen and enjoy.

We returned home October 25. This 17 1/2 minute video required a year of planning, 3 weeks of travel, 4 weeks of editing, and a full day of uploading to Vimeo and posting. You can see it all for 17 1/2 minutes minus end credits. No drones are allowed. Drone footage in this video supplied at the courtesy of the lodge photographers who were licensed. (My thanks to them!)

The new Nikon Z8 gave me the ability to shoot up to 120 frames per second in JPG and up to 30 Frame per second in RAW. Please note in the video the many images that gave me stop motion of animals, and birds in flight that I otherwise would have never been able to capture otherwise.
I started editing with 129.6 GB of data, and used 11.3 GB of data for this film.

click here- go to full screen and sound.

Enjoy and give me a comment.

Dale Davis,M.D.
Miami

Tech information
Nikon Z8 camera body
Nikon D750 camera body
Nikkor 24-200mm F/4-6.3 Z lens
Nikkor 14-24 mm f/2.8 F mount lens
Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 F mount lens
Nikkor 180-600mm f 5.6-6.3 lens
Really Right Stuff tripod
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Lightroom
Adobe Premiere Pro
LR Timelapse
DJI Osmo Action camera
DJI Osmo Pocket

Dale Davis

Last edited:
Nicely done Dale! Looks like you had a great 59th anniversary trip. Any clue as to where your 60th will be taking place.

Absolutely beautiful. Almost like being there, but much less expensive! Thank you for putting that together, and looks like you had a wonderful Anniversary.

Beautiful video and congrats on your 59th anniversary.
The educational value is unmeasurable.

If you don't mind me asking, what does a trip like this (include everything) cost?

Thanks for sharing.

Incredible capture and editing Dale. Always look forward to seeing your work. It is a privilege to be able to share your journeys with you and your lovely wife. And we're at 57 years and counting!!!

Great video, Dale! I have a technique question......is your 14-28mm f2.8 lens adequate for astrophotography? If so, how do you shoot your time-lapses? Thanks in advance!!!

Isn,t this your second time to go to africa in two years or was that another well traveled pilot that brought us last years footage there is no mistaking you excellent photo work for sure Thank you sir

Last edited:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Spectacular !!! Thank you for sharing & congratulations on your anniversary.

Fab film Dale and so kind to share your trip with us. The work you have put in will be a wonderful memory for you, your wife and of course the family. The wildlife is amazing down there and your tagging of unfamiliar animals and bird life is really helpful. I have the Merlin app from Cornell and I checked out the bird calls that dominate the track and thought (before I checked) that sounds like chaffinches and chiffchaffs. They both have very recognisable calls and they are both common here in the UK. Merlin confirmed them. And the lilac breasted roller-perfect!! So a great film and finally congrats on your 59th.

Awesome work - thanks so much for sharing your memories..... You have inspired me to do the same...... Were you by chance using a Benro Polaris tripod head for the night skies?

Fab film Dale and so kind to share your trip with us. The work you have put in will be a wonderful memory for you, your wife and of course the family. The wildlife is amazing down there and your tagging of unfamiliar animals and bird life is really helpful. I have the Merlin app from Cornell and I checked out the bird calls that dominate the track and thought (before I checked) that sounds like chaffinches and chiffchaffs. They both have very recognisable calls and they are both common here in the UK. Merlin confirmed them. And the lilac breasted roller-perfect!! So a great film and finally congrats on your 59th.
Twickers14:

Firstly, thank you. I also have the Cornell bird app. Some of the birds I recorded were outside my tent and they did not come out well, so I grabbed some generic bird calls from You Tube. Sorry about that!

It's gratifying after so much work and time to hear positive feedback like yours.!

Dale

Twickers14:

Firstly, thank you. I also have the Cornell bird app. Some of the birds I recorded were outside my tent and they did not come out well, so I grabbed some generic bird calls from You Tube. Sorry about that!

It's gratifying after so much work and time to hear positive feedback like yours.!

Dale
Beautiful video and congrats on your 59th anniversary.
The educational value is unmeasurable.

If you don't mind me asking, what does a trip like this (include everything) cost?

Thanks for sharing.
I cannot disclose the costs but they are easily calculated by going to the lodge web sites. All travel to safaris are seasonal. We went in the shoulder or off season. The high season is frightfully more expensive. (The season is July through September). Have a look at Angama.com, and Bushtops.com. Safari lodges and camps come in all levels of price- low to medium and high. Work with a travel agent who ONLY does Africa. They will work with your budget. Figure a minimum of $15,000 per person. We, of course, went way over that. The flight can be coach or Business.

Thank you for watching.

Dale

Awesome work - thanks so much for sharing your memories..... You have inspired me to do the same...... Were you by chance using a Benro Polaris tripod head for the night skies?
Thank you for watching my video.

I used a Really Right Stuff tripod and ball head.

Great video, Dale! I have a technique question......is your 14-28mm f2.8 lens adequate for astrophotography? If so, how do you shoot your time-lapses? Thanks in advance!!!
Rocky Mtns:

Thanks for watching the Africa video.

You are asking way too much for this forum! Of course, the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 is the standard for astro photography for many astrophotogra[hers.

With respect to time lapse photography. I cannot teach that to you here. I was self taught by the inventor of the app on his web site. Gunther Wegner is a brilliant young German man who developed LRTimelapse. Go to his website and read through it. He offers a free trial version that I used for years before upgrading.

www.lrtimelapse.com. Click on the demos and tutorials.

Feel free to write to me for any questions after you do this.

Dale
Miami
Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 11.13.36 AM.png

African Safari to Kenya October 2023

Hi Guys and Gals:

How would like to go on a 2 ½ week African safari to Kenya and the magnificent Maasai Mara National Park and stay in two high end luxury camps with two game drives a day and amazing meals and service? You will have the safari vehicle all to yourself to dwell as long as you want on any item you wish to photograph, and you will have one of the best cameras and longest lenses available. You’ll go by Business class on Qatar Airways, with time to rest in Nairobi on both ends of the trip.

Instead of spending 2 ½ weeks and your money you can experience it right here in this 17 minute video. Just go to full screen+ sound, or even put this on your big screen and enjoy.

We returned home October 25. This 17 1/2 minute video required a year of planning, 3 weeks of travel, 4 weeks of editing, and a full day of uploading to Vimeo and posting. You can see it all for 17 1/2 minutes minus end credits. No drones are allowed. Drone footage in this video supplied at the courtesy of the lodge photographers who were licensed. (My thanks to them!)

The new Nikon Z8 gave me the ability to shoot up to 120 frames per second in JPG and up to 30 Frame per second in RAW. Please note in the video the many images that gave me stop motion of animals, and birds in flight that I otherwise would have never been able to capture otherwise.
I started editing with 129.6 GB of data, and used 11.3 GB of data for this film.

click here- go to full screen and sound.

Enjoy and give me a comment.

Dale Davis,M.D.
Miami

Tech information
Nikon Z8 camera body
Nikon D750 camera body
Nikkor 24-200mm F/4-6.3 Z lens
Nikkor 14-24 mm f/2.8 F mount lens
Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 F mount lens
Nikkor 180-600mm f 5.6-6.3 lens
Really Right Stuff tripod
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Lightroom
Adobe Premiere Pro
LR Timelapse
DJI Osmo Action camera
DJI Osmo Pocket

Dale Davis
Fabulous, Dale! Loved the night sky time-lapses; so clear with virtually no noise - very impressive. Thanks for the virtual safari tour!!
Gary

Hi Dale...I do remember that you went just a few years ago, ( if I remember correctly).....that looks like a the trip of a lifetime...now my wife wants me to take her there more than ever after showing her this...hoping to make it in the next few years....you did get some great shots!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne