DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Canadian Rockies Video August,2023

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
At long last, after many weeks of editing I have finally managed to finish this edit. Had a ton of materials but I managed to narrow this 3 week trip and thousands of images down to 21 minutes plus end credits.Hope you enjoy it, but it's not a quick view so view when you have time.

Check out “Canadian Rockies August 2023” from Dale Davis,M.D. on Vimeo.

Best viewed full screen.

Tech Information
Nikon Z8 body
Nikon D750 body
Nikkor Z lens 24-200mm f/4-6.3
Nikkor F mount 14-24mm f/2.8 G ED
DJI Osmo Action Video
DJI OM6 gimbal
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Really Right Stuff Tripod
Adobe Photoshop 2024
Adobe Lightroom Classic
Adobe Premier Pro 2022
LRTimelapse
Apple iMAC M3 chip

A lot of beauty and some special spots in your video ! I told my wife it reminded me of Glacier National on steroids in a few spots.
I love your night shots of all the stars. Thanks for sharing...

A lot of beauty and some special spots in your video ! I told my wife it reminded me of Glacier National on steroids in a few spots.
I love your night shots of all the stars. Thanks for sharing...
Mavic Flyer 2:

Thank you for the positive feedback. Glacier is certainly spectacularly beautiful too! But the endless mountains here are unbelievable. The astro photography was one of the hardest parts of the trip- it is almost impossible to find a dark site unless I go way out of town and into the woods where the bears are, and in pitch dark blackness. Not worth losing my life for that. The main problem with Glacier and Canadian Rockies are that is is swarming with humanity.

Dale
Miami

Dale, please tell us how you shot the nighttime movie! Lense, exposures, intervals etc.
I'm fascinated by this technique and subject.
Thanks!

Dale, please tell us how you shot the nighttime movie! Lense, exposures, intervals etc.
I'm fascinated by this technique and subject.
Thanks!
I think you are talking about the Milky Way timelapse, right?

I think you are talking about the Milky Way timelapse, right?
The photographic sub-specialty of "astrophotography" can fill a book, and hours of You Tube videos. There are several techniques, all easily viewable by going to You Tube and typing in "Milky Way Timelapse."

Essentially, here is my technique;

In the field
1. Fast lens (f/1.4 or f/2.8)
2. Wide angle lens (Nikkor 14-24 mm f/2.8 set at 14mm and f/2.8).
3. very steady tripod (Really Right Stuff)
4. Dark sky- use one of the moon apps and try for a new moon. Desk top calendars have them printed on the page as a full black circle). Any weather app will show you each month and tell you when the new moon ( e.g.: NO moon) is occurring.
5. Dark environment, with no ambient lights like houses, car, roads, street lights, etc. You need a head light with red filter. Turn it off during shutter actuations. Get your eyes dark adapted. No car lights, when you leave your interior car lights off! Never open and close your car door. Any light will spoil your shot. I like to shoot by or in my car for sleeping, safety from bears, etc.
Arrive at the shooting spot before dark, mostly to scope out your shooting place,but be prepared to wait hours for the truly dark sky.
6. On your LED screen, go to full mangnification and find the brightest star in the sky. Auto focus will not work and infinity of your lens will not work. You must manually find the brightest star, and manually focus by turning the lens back and forth until the star is in pin point focus.
7. Once you are manually focused on a bright star, turn the camera to focus off. (M). You don't want the lens to "search" for a focus point. Re-compose your camera composition to include some foreground, but mostly sky. Mountains would be good.
8. Use a cable release for test shots- never touch the camera or the shutter release. Use a HEAD LIGHT for forehead (Amazon).
9. Test shots-This takes about 15-20 minutes. start at ISO 1200 or more. Start at about 15 seconds exposure. I usually need about 10-15 test shots to get the horizon level and the mountains in view with some foreground showing. After each test shot, inspect at your image. Each test shot will allow you to re-compose your shot (moving the camera on the tripod) for better or straighter horizons or to include more mountains).
10. Use your camera's INTERVALOMETER (timed releases) . Set the shutter at about 15-20 seconds. Set the ISO (after test shots) at about 1200-25000. The lower the ISO, the less the noise.The higher the ISO the more noise. The longer the shutter, the more you will get tailing of the stars (bad). F/ stop at widest aperture of your lens (f/1.4 or 2.8).
11. Try to take 250-300 shots or more. If you do the math, that is about a 2-3 hours or more session starting at around 11PM at night and going to 1 or 3 AM. Tell your wife not to expect you home before 3 AM.

Processing is covered in most of the videos. I use LRTimelapse 6.1. Watch as many You Tube videos as possible.

I could go on and on but you get the idea. Call me if you have further questions. (private conversation notice I will send my tel number. Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 2.01.10 PM.png

Thanks Dale!!!!!!! I was referring to the Milky Way.....it was gorgeous! I really appreciate the detailed description. I really want to get into nighttime photography, and am always amazed at the results good photographers are able to achieve.
Thanks again!

Nicely done Dale! You captured the Rockies well. You are right about finding a dark site to photograph the stars - its hard to find a good spot away from all the tourists unless you know the area. Visited many of the places you did back in 2017 and like this past summer we had to contend with forest fires and the smoky haze they cause.

Thanks for sharing.

Happy Holidays!

Chris

Nicely done Dale! You captured the Rockies well. You are right about finding a dark site to photograph the stars - its hard to find a good spot away from all the tourists unless you know the area. Visited many of the places you did back in 2017 and like this past summer we had to contend with forest fires and the smoky haze they cause.

Thanks for sharing.

Happy Holidays!

Chris
Thanks for the review Chris. Coming from a native Canadian, I am doubly grateful.

The dark site I selected was a not really as dark as I needed it to be. I shot in the direction of the Three Sisters outside of Canmore, away from highway headlights. There was a commercial warehouse lot with parking lot lights, and a traffic road in the distance. I had to shoot away from the light. My only other alternative was to drive out of town and pull off into the woods and get eaten by a bear. I was plenty nervous where I was about crime, somebody calling the police y("this weird man walked into the dark parking lot and hasn't come out yet"). I shot from 11:00 PM to 1:30 AM and my wife kept calling me, nervous and hell and gave me a hard time when I got back.

Also, I am sure that you noticed how the Canada fires clouded many of the pictures. Also I had about 40% of the images that I just couldn't pack in because of the time it would add to the video.

Dale Davis
Miami

Thanks for the review Chris. Coming from a native Canadian, I am doubly grateful.

The dark site I selected was a not really as dark as I needed it to be. I shot in the direction of the Three Sisters outside of Canmore, away from highway headlights. There was a commercial warehouse lot with parking lot lights, and a traffic road in the distance. I had to shoot away from the light. My only other alternative was to drive out of town and pull off into the woods and get eaten by a bear. I was plenty nervous where I was about crime, somebody calling the police y("this weird man walked into the dark parking lot and hasn't come out yet"). I shot from 11:00 PM to 1:30 AM and my wife kept calling me, nervous and hell and gave me a hard time when I got back.

Also, I am sure that you noticed how the Canada fires clouded many of the pictures. Also I had about 40% of the images that I just couldn't pack in because of the time it would add to the video.

Dale Davis
Miami
Regardless, you have done a great job of capturing the Rockies even though the conditions weren't the best with the forest fires (one of the worst seasons on record). As far as finding dark sites go, the area is so busy with tourists and getting busier every year that it is almost impossible to find an area that is going to be tourist free and away from light pollution so you just have to make the best of it, kinda of like hoping the weather cooperates. Wildlife (Grizzly bears, elk, mountain goats, etc) are very much apart of the nature in the area.

Have a great Holiday and all the best in the New Year!

Chris

An epic trip captured and presented very skilfully Dale. Many thanks for sharing. You've just reinforced why that area is and should be on my bucket list. Merry Christmas from down under. Bill

Tech Information
Nikon Z8 body
Nikon D750 body
Nikkor Z lens 24-200mm f/4-6.3
Nikkor F mount 14-24mm f/2.8 G ED
DJI Osmo Action Video
DJI OM6 gimbal
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Really Right Stuff Tripod
Adobe Photoshop 2024
Adobe Lightroom Classic
Adobe Premier Pro 2022
LRTimelapse
Apple iMAC M3 chip
Those canadian rockies are looking stunning Dale. I loved how captured them. Very nice video to watch

Top job as always Dale. I would add that your editing spot on. So interesting topic & well photographed = great end result.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas