DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Milky Way Arch

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
This image was shot on a mountain top in the Big Sky,Montana area.

Nikon D750 body
Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 lens at f/2.8 using Really Right Stuff Tripod
15 second, 9 vertical exposures (Nine overlapped about 50% using 15 degrees on the tripod head) and cable release
Nine frames were opened in Adobe Camera RAW
Right click on any frame and select all
Open in Panorama, straighten in boundary warp
Edited in ACR

Feel free to ask any questions or make any comments.

Dale
Miami

Attachments

• Milky way arch.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 98

Nikon D750 body
15 second, 9 vertical exposures (Nine overlapped about 50% using 15 degrees on the tripod head) and cable release
Edited in ACR

Dale
Miami

Nice! Did you use any filters to get rid of sky fog?

No- I needed every bit of light I could get!
Ah - you're so lucky your skies aren't filled with light from nearby towns/cities. Even with filters, I'd have to drive 100 miles to get skies dark enough.

Nikon D750 body
Edited in ACR

Dale
Miami

Nice shot Dale!

Chris

Ah - you're so lucky your skies aren't filled with light from nearby towns/cities. Even with filters, I'd have to drive 100 miles to get skies dark enough.
Not sure if you are anywhere near the Torrance Barrens but it is a designated dark sky preserve, however in recent years it has been overrun by people wanting to camp and party who have no interest in keeping it ‘dark’.

Chris

Reactions: WanderLost
Not sure if you are anywhere near the Torrance Barrens but it is a designated dark sky preserve, however in recent years it has been overrun by people wanting to camp and party who have no interest in keeping it ‘dark’.

Chris
The skies in Montana are crystal clear at night. But I live in Miami. I was spending time there vacationing.
Dale

Hi Dale, just to make sure there is no confusion, my comment about the Torrance Barrens was for @WanderLost. Sorry.

Chris

Nikon D750 body
Edited in ACR

Dale
Miami

This is absolutely stunning! Job well done!!

This is absolutely stunning! Job well done!!
Thanks
I was kinda proud of it and how it came out
This one image probably took up 4-5 hours of time from the time I left my condo.
Dale

Dale, you are always on the move! Beautiful execution of a difficult photo capture. Well done.
Doug

The skies in Montana are crystal clear at night. But I live in Miami. I was spending time there vacationing.
Dale
Ah yes - Montana would be a great place. When we go camping in the summer, parks near Owen Sound, Ontario are good for us. Nice dark skies over Georgian Bay.

Chris
We've been through there (Gravenhurst) camping. But never at Torrance Barrens. Will have to check it out this summer. Thanks for the link!

Very impressive work.

I find few observations that are as calming as the night sky. All the travails of life on this dust speck of planet Earth become minuscule next to the immenseness of our galaxy, dwarfed in return by the many millions more of galaxies.

The few streaks you captured I assume were meteorites. I’m guessing that airplanes, with their strobe lights would have been much more intrusive.

Montana. “Far from the madding crowd’s ignoble strife” in Miami, no doubt!

Thanks!!

Very impressive work.

I find few observations that are as calming as the night sky. All the travails of life on this dust speck of planet Earth become minuscule next to the immenseness of our galaxy, dwarfed in return by the many millions more of galaxies.

The few streaks you captured I assume were meteorites. I’m guessing that airplanes, with their strobe lights would have been much more intrusive.

Montana. “Far from the madding crowd’s ignoble strife” in Miami, no doubt!

Thanks!!
I loved this poetic and well thought out reply. YES, those streaks were, indeed, meteors, or shooting stars?

Dale
Miami

Nice! Did you use any filters to get rid of sky fog?
Hi Dale,

Very nice!

Have you watched the Greg Benz YT video on removing image noise using Lumenzia for a multiimage Milky Way shot? He uses Nik instead of Topaz Photo Ai, which I prefer. I found this to be interesting as I am trying to master the masking.s of luminosity masking..

Best,

Joel

Hi Dale,

Very nice!

Have you watched the Greg Benz YT video on removing image noise using Lumenzia for a multiimage Milky Way shot? He uses Nik instead of Topaz Photo Ai, which I prefer. I found this to be interesting as I am trying to master the masking.s of luminosity masking..

Best,

Joel
I'll take a look - thanks!

Hi Dale,

Very nice!

Best,

Joel
Joel:

Sorry but I am not familiar with that software but I will certainly check out the You Tube. I used Topaz Denoise AI.

Dale

Nikon D750 body
Hey Dale, great work! Do you know what the lens zoom was at for the 9 exposures and what the ISO (ASA) was??

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne