DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just bought a Mavic pro

brobbo

Reactions
So been on the fence deciding between the air and the pro for some time.

Decided that the slightly larger aircraft,extra range and more solid reception sold it for me.

Was going to wait for the Mavic Pro 2/ Mavic 2 but looking at prices I think it may be slightly out my price range as I’m guessing it would be around £1500 with fly more like the mpp.

Got the Mavic Pro for £995 fly more and is being delivered Saturday.
Is this a decent price?

Anyone else done the same?

Thanks

Welcome to Mavicpilots. You wont be sorry you bought a Mavic, thats a good price for a FM in the UK.

If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Reactions: BarneyStinson
I have owned mine for 48 hours.
Let me give you ONE piece od advice.
READ THE MANUAL.
Long story long:
I bought my mavic on finance ( 2 years, 40ish quid a month for 2 years, cost me 1026 quid).
So it arrived, I charged it up, hacked it with NLD, took it outside in my garden and fired it up.
Up a meter, ok, up 3 meters, yep, all ok, ok, lets go to 10 meteres, ok, lets go higher, 30 meters, ZOOM, its off!!!!!
For the next 20 minutes I existed in a total state of panic, my new quad, had just F&^%$£ off. I had NOT a CLUE what I was doing, only my experience with my blade 350 helped me. You see, I hadn't read the manual and put it in beginner mode, nor had I calibrated the compass, nor was the GPS locked and it was in some other mode, the ONE thing I had done was set up my android phone so I could SEE where it was on the screen but it meant nothing. I am 138 meters high some 700 meters away. Using the distance measurement, I kept slowly rotating, going forward and looking for the distance to decrease. After a lot of errors and frantic waggling I managed to get it within 30 meters away and 12 meters high. Then came the battery warning. Its amazing how that can focus you to bring your BRAND NEW £1000 BEEN-IN-THE-AIR-15MINS quad back safely.
I have not shook like that for as long as I can remember.
I had a proper trial by fire and it was entirely my fault.
So I joined here, I read the manual, I enabled beginner mode.
I ran out of talent before the mavic did.

I have owned mine for 48 hours.
Let me give you ONE piece od advice.
READ THE MANUAL.
Long story long:
I bought my mavic on finance ( 2 years, 40ish quid a month for 2 years, cost me 1026 quid).
So it arrived, I charged it up, hacked it with NLD, took it outside in my garden and fired it up.
Up a meter, ok, up 3 meters, yep, all ok, ok, lets go to 10 meteres, ok, lets go higher, 30 meters, ZOOM, its off!!!!!
For the next 20 minutes I existed in a total state of panic, my new quad, had just F&^%$£ off. I had NOT a CLUE what I was doing, only my experience with my blade 350 helped me. You see, I hadn't read the manual and put it in beginner mode, nor had I calibrated the compass, nor was the GPS locked and it was in some other mode, the ONE thing I had done was set up my android phone so I could SEE where it was on the screen but it meant nothing. I am 138 meters high some 700 meters away. Using the distance measurement, I kept slowly rotating, going forward and looking for the distance to decrease. After a lot of errors and frantic waggling I managed to get it within 30 meters away and 12 meters high. Then came the battery warning. Its amazing how that can focus you to bring your BRAND NEW £1000 BEEN-IN-THE-AIR-15MINS quad back safely.
I have not shook like that for as long as I can remember.
I had a proper trial by fire and it was entirely my fault.
So I joined here, I read the manual, I enabled beginner mode.
I ran out of talent before the mavic did.

Not funny at the time but I bet your laughing now.
Luckily a couple of weeks ago I had a drone training course through my work so I have the foundations of flying a drone.
But Atti mode is not enjoyable, my instructor put me 50 metres high and 50 metres away and enabled atti mode and said bring it back and land,you are entirely on your own as you found out haha

If you have ever flown a blade 350qx in "beginner mode", its a breeze, no matter which way it faces, you push the forward stick and it moves away from you, pull it towards you and it comes back. Push left, it goes left. Its Brilliantly simple but missing from the mavic (Hey DJI!!!) but yes, atti mode was what it was in and I was dead chuffed I had brought it back but mein got, my balloon knot was tight... I saved a little bird from my cat last week, this was the karma god being kind but reminding me that even having testicles does not exclude one from reading the manual!!!

If you have ever flown a blade 350qx in "beginner mode", its a breeze, no matter which way it faces, you push the forward stick and it moves away from you, pull it towards you and it comes back. Push left, it goes left. Its Brilliantly simple but missing from the mavic (Hey DJI!!!) but yes, atti mode was what it was in and I was dead chuffed I had brought it back but mein got, my balloon knot was tight... I saved a little bird from my cat last week, this was the karma god being kind but reminding me that even having testicles does not exclude one from reading the manual!!!

It’s was in atti as you had no gps which means no help haha
It will blow whichever way the wind takes it, you did good to get it back, any damage?

Of course, because the compass was out and the gps hadn't locked I couldn't even use RTH.
I can recall the entire incident from memory as I paced round the garden with my hand on my forehead desperately thinking of what to do, I was going to get in the car but of course, didn't know where it was, I was terrified of it hitting someone, of it being lost forever and I sort of came to the realisation that I either attempted to bring it back or well, I don't know. So that's when I used the distance meter, crude but effective. I recall the battery was about 22% when i landed. At 50 I should know better but as an avid gadget freak, 50 or not I still enjoy my toys and tech.
The blade was a joy to fly but I could never get anything like stable video, its now 5 year old tech but its still a great toy.

What does 'hacked it with NLD' mean? Sorry to sound stupid....

LP

Sorry, I "unlocked" the DJI restrictions with a piece of software, look up nolimitsdronez.
There are other ways which I believe are free but I don't consider the price bad.

It’s was in atti as you had no gps which means no help haha
It will blow whichever way the wind takes it, you did good to get it back, any damage?
No, not a scratch. there are no power lines or massive trees although there is one in my neighbours garden I had to avoid when landing, I used a sort of zig-zag motion to bring it in and down a meter at a time if you know what I mean.
I was effing eleated when it landed, my relief was palpable.
Now I make sure I have a solid GPS lock. It'll be in beginner mode for a good few months.7
I do wish DJI would implement the blade control system though as an option.

... took it outside in my garden and fired it up.
For the next 20 minutes I existed in a total state of panic, my new quad, had just F&^%$£ off. I had NOT a CLUE what I was doing...
Your post should be mandatory reading for new Mavic owners. I'm glad you got it back.

Reactions: cornz
Not funny at the time but I bet your laughing now.
Luckily a couple of weeks ago I had a drone training course through my work so I have the foundations of flying a drone.
But Atti mode is not enjoyable, my instructor put me 50 metres high and 50 metres away and enabled atti mode and said bring it back and land,you are entirely on your own as you found out haha
If I cant master it within a few months, I going to look into a course...

...Got the Mavic Pro for £995 fly more and is being delivered Saturday.
Is this a decent price?...
Welcome to the club! I don't know about the price but you will also need to buy a good set of ND filters to get quality video.

You did good to get it back
I can recommend drone training, luckily my work paid for it but I would be happy to pay for it as I learned a lot especially regarding air law and the implications of weather on a drone.

If I cant master it within a few months, I going to look into a course...
Just go practice in an open filed and get use to the stick movements. DO NOT FLY AWAY FROM LOS. Left, Right, back, forward up, down , When you get comfortable, start using the intelligent flight modes

@brobbo.
Well, just about a week on and yes, I look back and laugh but I also remember the horrible sensation I experienced when I looked up to see no quad.
I haven't attempted to blame anyone or anything but myself. I have made a few flights and my faith and confidence are growing slowly but I still pucker up when its in the air. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of genuine fly-away incidents on the mav pro and on its inaugural flight, it flew more than it has to date and it stayed up no issues at all, well, no issues other than the operator! ;-) To be fair, the only genuine crash I had was on my blade 350 when a prop failed but it was only 30 feet up and suffered very little damage. Every other crash was my fault. Mind you, that was 4 years ago. I don't suppose its a bad thing to be a bit nervous but then why did I buy a mavic with its advanced features if I'mm not going to use them!
Time to take the bull by the horns and make the **** thing fly far (ish) and wide (again, ish). ;-)
Happy flying.

Dam (with an N) is a banned word? Seriously?

KEEP READING.. That manual the mavic does have that mode it's called course lock!!!

Reactions: cornz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000