DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just broke my Mavic on the first day!

Are people not using it? DJI says to use it during flight when learning to fly, but take it off for best picture/video quality.
i literally have never seen it used and ive watched hundreds of vids,some say the glare messes with video but i got a tinted cover to fix that.

If you absolutely want to play with mavic indoors, here are some things to do without flying:

1. practice taking manual manual mode photos, long exposure hdr shots, and getting complete control of the device as a camera. Because auto is just...bad.
2. Practice taking nice videos and fine tuning gimbal speed and rolloffs. Test nd filters and calculationd to get smooth frame rates for different lighting.
3. Use djigo tutorial area and use the flight simulator to practice figure 8 patterns with proper heading. I use other apps for this, dont like to burn my batteries on drone to run a sim.
4. Learn habits of reading telemetry, and batt life on app and rc screens.

Ive burned at least 9 batteries taking practice photos and videos indoors with no flying. Having complete control of settings and knowing where everything is makes it quick to setup a shot.

Once in open areas, I burned at least 3 batteries practicing each flight mode. The controls in each mode change how rc reacts or limits you. This gives you something safe to do as opposed to jamming around like a racer, because even outside, you can crash.

Here are some of my practice shots:

20171130_202833.jpg water_mark_c500696e78b4764332a1c5f50a86d657.jpg

Hopefully there’s still time and you could contact DJI.com and buy the Dji care refresh I think for Mavics it’s $95 good for 12 Months repairs at no extra cost and if it need replacements I believe it’s $99 for a brand new Mavic and 2nd replacement it’s $125 for a brand new Mavic
I don't think it's a brand new Mavic. I think refurbished.

Are people not using it? DJI says to use it during flight when learning to fly, but take it off for best picture/video quality.
Usually, my reason for flying is for the video image, so I always remove it. Since I also have to pull it to get to the gimbal lock. Extra effort to put it back on. I do not worry about crashes, anymore.

You were trying to fly at night. The problem with that is the lack of light for the downward vision sensors to track the ground. It'll fly at night, but you need more space and need to be ready to counteract movement with the right stick.

Start a repair case with DJI. It shouldn't cost too much. The part I don't like about their repair service is that they will replace your new Mavic with a refurbished one. The new Mavic is better than the older refurbished ones.

Another option, have a third party repair it that is authorized by DJI to make repairs. I think @Thunderdrones is authorized.

I have flown at night for the past three or four nights without any stability issues. I have a lot of trees around also. Doesn't full GPS lock allow it to fly stable. I realize if I lose GPS it will go to ATTI and drift but I make sure I have plenty of satellites locked. Also I would not use RTH to actually land the MP at night. Use it if you have to until it is overhead, then cancel and bring it down manually.

I crashed my mavic into a fire truck on day one.
nothing like having emergency services on hand when theres a crash,only thing missing is a tow truck.:)

One suggestion I would make is to check your credit card purchase protection offerings. Many credit cards will repair or replace a lost, stolen or damaged product within the first 30-90 days.

That is good advice. Back in the day when flat screens were crazy expensive my dog knocked over a new 42" Sony on the first day. Screen was completely cracked. American Express bought me a new one.

Make sure you switch VPS (vision positioning sensors) OFF during night /ambient light flying! [emoji3]

Why? Aren't they disabled automatically at night/low light? I flew tonight and my screen said they were disabled.

Why? Aren't they disabled automatically at night/low light? I flew tonight and my screen said they were disabled.

are you aware of CASA rules about flying at night ?

No. I tend to stick to the laws that govern my Country.

In the States I am allowed to fly at night. I haven't gone past VLOS and don't intend to. I have a Strobon Cree led on the way that I'll start using as well.

No. I tend to stick to the laws that govern my Country.

In the States I am allowed to fly at night. I haven't gone past VLOS and don't intend to. I have a Strobon Cree led on the way that I'll start using as well.

Opps, my mistake, I apologize, I thought I was in the Australian topic.

It's best to manually switch them off to prevent the sensors picking up a light source and getting confused

It's best to manually switch them off to prevent the sensors picking up a light source and getting confused

OK. I'll add that to my pre-flight. Thanks.

BTW what happens with auto land at night? I haven't tried it yet.

OK. I'll add that to my pre-flight. Thanks.

BTW what happens with auto land at night? I haven't tried it yet.
I tried flying or was still flying when it was getting dark. At some point the sensors turned off because it want detecting anything. I'm assuming autoland won't work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidwujr