DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just grabbed a costco mini 2 bundle out of the box update everything or

if not all cases,
Research on this forum will provide information that may help in deciding the correct path regarding the ongoing firmware debates.
There are cases that indicates the“ignore”option is there for a purpose.

This is what I was referring to in my previous post which you may not have spotted ? Why is it that things work fine for you, and not someone else? You would think that all things being equal other than the pilot, every drone should act the same in response to identical software.
Well, not necessarily.

The manufacturing and SW processes have a strong statistical component. Statistical Process Control is a fascinating field. Each process will have a mean and standard deviation. As you try to "narrow the curve", the cost of making everything more identical increases exponentially. For example, making a process 95% reliable could easily cost double what it costs to make it 90% reliable.

Perfection isn't an option, and you need to make the trade-off decision about how much quality is worth paying for. Anyone who really wants to geek-out on this info should take a look at Mil-Std-105.

In English, the bottom line is that even in a well controlled process, either HW or SW, there are going to be some lemons. If you get one, make lemonade...or contact DJI Support!

:cool:

Reactions: YVRGUY and Starz
This is what I was referring to in my previous post which you may not have spotted ? Why is it that things work fine for you, and not someone else? You would think that all things being equal other than the pilot, every drone should act the same in response to identical software.

I did read your post. Yes. If all things are equal, the results should be the same.

But, establishing that all things are the same is the difficulty. I've seen several instances where someone made an obvious mistake, or a mistake revealed by analysis of the flight data, and blamed it on a firmware update. Someone else pointed out that firmware issues can be caused by firmware installation problems.

Reactions: Macinfo
Well, not necessarily.

The manufacturing and SW processes have a strong statistical component. Statistical Process Control is a fascinating field. Each process will have a mean and standard deviation. As you try to "narrow the curve", the cost of making everything more identical increases exponentially. For example, making a process 95% reliable could easily cost double what it costs to make it 90% reliable.

Perfection isn't an option, and you need to make the trade-off decision about how much quality is worth paying for. Anyone who really wants to geek-out on this info should take a look at Mil-Std-105.

In English, the bottom line is that even in a well controlled process, either HW or SW, there are going to be some lemons. If you get one, make lemonade...or contact DJI Support!

Thats an interesting theory, however for sake of discussion, if I take 4 identical calculators and I enter the same problem into each to solve, I should get the same answer on each one.. not a different one or slightly different one..

Assuming that a Mini 2 or 3 and its RC have identical hardware, the same chips, the same version of firmware being operated by the same versions of software, they should operate the same. I guess the variable might be whether your running the software on Android or IOS, there could be some anomalies there perhaps..

But even then, if the anomaly is the same, then why do some have an issue, and others do not?

And yeah, if your having issues, Call DJI, and figure it out..

I did read your post. Yes. If all things are equal, the results should be the same.

But, establishing that all things are the same is the difficulty. I've seen several instances where someone made an obvious mistake, or a mistake revealed by analysis of the flight data, and blamed it on a firmware update. Someone else pointed out that firmware issues can be caused by firmware installation problems.
Yeah, as I pondered, there could be differences from Android to IOS for Fly perhaps.. And your right, sometimes people take more than one time to get firmware to install, which also seems odd... one of those drone life mysteries...

I finally broke down and signed on with Airdata.

I wonder if it would be useful for me to post the log of the flight where I had the "Refusal to Climb" problem with my Mini-2? I've concluded it was caused by a firmware installation error, rather than a problem with the firmware update itself.

I say that because I have three Mini-2s, all of which got the same update at roughly the same time, and only one of them had the problem.

The big deal with v01.04.000 is the anti-rollback. If something goes wrong or you don't like it, there is no way to downgrade.

Reactions: cc_jim
The big deal with v01.04.000 is the anti-rollback. If something goes wrong or you don't like it, there is no way to downgrade.
Ahh, but if you think "rolling back" is a bad bet, then this doesn't matter!

1652978302216.png

From my perspective, all of what has been posted has merit. It's really not much different
than, say, smartphone opsys updates. New ones are released but may come with bug or two
at which point you're left to wrestle with the challenges of the new anomalies. So, my vote
too would be to research a little, then apply what that great philosopher Harry Callahan said,
"you ask yourself....do I feel lucky?"

One consideration not mentioned is that if you have any thoughts about needing DroneHacks,
it isn't compatible with the lastest mini 2 version. Knowing this, I opted *not* to upgrade in
order to gain freedom from DJI geofencing via DroneHacks.

From my perspective, all of what has been posted has merit. It's really not much different
than, say, smartphone opsys updates. New ones are released but may come with bug or two
at which point you're left to wrestle with the challenges of the new anomalies. So, my vote
too would be to research a little, then apply what that great philosopher Harry Callahan said,
"you ask yourself....do I feel lucky?"

One consideration not mentioned is that if you have any thoughts about needing DroneHacks,
it isn't compatible with the lastest mini 2 version. Knowing this, I opted *not* to upgrade in
order to gain freedom from DJI geofencing via DroneHacks.
I would never dispute the wisdom of the Mighty Harry...

I would definitely like to purge the DJI nannyisms, but messing around and changing things in a tightly integrated system strikes me as a bad bet.

Of course, I'm spoiled because my house (canyon) is a fabulous place to fly, and no nannyisms apply here. Well, except for the 1640 ft ATL absolute limit, which is lame, but which doesn't restrict my flying that much.

I update my smart phone as soon as updates become available too. If you like to tinker, I can see that might be different, but if you just want to fly, update all as soon as available.

Certainty is never an option, but that's your best bet for trouble-free flying.

I would never dispute the wisdom of the Mighty Harry...

I would definitely like to purge the DJI nannyisms, but messing around and changing things in a tightly integrated system strikes me as a bad bet.

Of course, I'm spoiled because my house (canyon) is a fabulous place to fly, and no nannyisms apply here. Well, except for the 1640 ft ATL absolute limit, which is lame, but which doesn't restrict my flying that much.

I update my smart phone as soon as updates become available too. If you like to tinker, I can see that might be different, but if you just want to fly, update all as soon as available.

Certainty is never an option, but that's your best bet for trouble-free flying.
DH doesn't change anything in the drone's firmware. All it does is give you the same cert you get from DJI when you request authorization to fly in a NFZ but without time/altitude limitations. No more than that.

Or just leave well enough alone? At times, that may be the better bet until the research task is complete.
If you like to do research, that could be a reasonable choice.

For me, I think I'd rather spend the time flying...

Generally speaking, if everyone has a problem with new firmware, it’s a firmware problem. If only some people have a problem with new firmware, it’s usually a problem with their hardware (phone/tablet/cable) or operating system (iOS/Android). There are occasionally (rarely) exceptions to this rule but it’s a good starting point for fault analysis.

Reactions: MS Coast
Generally speaking, if everyone has a problem with new firmware, it’s a firmware problem. If only some people have a problem with new firmware, it’s usually a problem with their hardware (phone/tablet/cable) or operating system (iOS/Android). There are occasionally (rarely) exceptions to this rule but it’s a good starting point for fault analysis.
This makes perfect sense.

That's why the incidence of a problem is far more important than the existence of a problem.

Is there a good link to a list of all past updates & what they do, for most DJI Drones, or does this 10 volume info need to be compiled yourself? Really enjoy this forum and all the constructive help. It has answered many of my questions.

Is there a good link to a list of all past updates & what they do, for most DJI Drones, or does this 10 volume info need to be compiled yourself? Really enjoy this forum and all the constructive help. It has answered many of my questions.
With a little tweaking of google search terms for a specific model you can sometimes find the PDF file that outlines each firmware release and their changes.

No need to tweak google. Just go to DJI support and select the required product, and select download to access the "release notes".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR