DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just recovered my lost mavic lost 6months ago!

Great story and I would totally be trying to fix it up to see if I could get it flying. Just feels like a fun project. You can buy a new gimbal on ebay and pick up other parts here and there and eventually get it flying again. I think it is funny that someone called it "Good Luck" that you found it, I don't think luck had anything to do with it. You had a plan and were persistent and found it. Well done.

Just wanted to share this little story about my lost lavic pro...
This winter, I was hiking on skis in chartreuse mountains during december 2017, and wanted to film a pass between cliffs, but it was very cold and I was hurried to put back m'y hands un my gloves...So I made a quick fly , without checking around...
And the nightmare arrived... As I was side travelling, I saw a tree Just in front of my mavic, so I immediately made it go up and stop travelling...but way too late.... It crashed in a tree, up there in the Cliff... :(
Big mistake !!!
I tried to recover it that day, but there were no safe access , but I was able to hear its recovering alarm pretty near, and located it with the find my drone option...
We came back to find it a week later, with all equipment needed, but there were more snow and the avalanche risk was very high...as we dont want to die, we decided to wait for spring to recover it safely ...
But winter season was long and snowy , good for skiing but not to SAR a drone...

We tried several times to find a good way to reach the supposed drone position (which probably fell down the tree due to wind...and could be anywhere in the Cliff)

But yesturday, we found it!!!
It was down a tree, and was very close to fall down all the Cliff!!
But it was here, after 6months spent up there in snow, rain, cold wind and Hugh températures...
The gimbal is out of the drone and hang with the wire , we didnt find the battery, (we'll go up there again to recover it)
A propeller is missing, outside screws are rusted, back right arm was blend , front left antenna shot and plastic is all burned, and a spider made its house inside...
I opened it, removing the top plate, and was surprised too see that apart from that spider, dust and pine spines, all was looking pretty good, no rust on weddings or components...
Camera seems to be out of order, the Lens looks all opaque ,but motors seems to move freely...

I'm hesitating to plug in a battery to see if it still works, but I'm scared about a short circuit that could damage battery...
Anyway, I'll keep it to have some change parts for my "new" mavic I bought Just after that crash...

I'm impressed about how it resisted against hard meteorological conditions...thought I discovered it completely dislocated ....

View attachment 43233View attachment 43234
Careful, adding power, without knowing what is electronically compromised, could fry it. Tough bird, nice SAR. @Thunderdrones.

I had a fly away and a roofer found my drone up on a roof about 3 months after losing it. He called me cause I had my name and number on the drone and returned it to me. He wouldn't even take any money for reward. Honest guy.

The only thing broken was the gimbal. Battery still worked, props were fine.

I lost my MA into some trees and it went down in thick very tall grass and weeds this spring, am hoping to recover it soon as it hasn't rained in over a month and most of the vegetation should be dead making it easier to find I hope.

What specific equipment/device that you used to find your drone?

I think you should send it to Dji! I totally crashed my Mavic, sent it to Dji, they replaced my crash against a brand new one. I had to pay 300usd ink shipping

Great story and I would totally be trying to fix it up to see if I could get it flying. Just feels like a fun project. You can buy a new gimbal on ebay and pick up other parts here and there and eventually get it flying again. I think it is funny that someone called it "Good Luck" that you found it, I don't think luck had anything to do with it. You had a plan and were persistent and found it. Well done.
Yes, I tried several time to look for it , fond a way to get there... I went up there maybe 8-10times before recovering it!! Now I dont want to go hiking there again , spent too much time un that mountain!! Ahah ;)
Yes, I only need to fix antennas and fix a disconnected wire ( on the front sensor's map), and I think I'll be able to fly it again...just try to fly it...
I'm not sure I'll be confident about that MP again... Will it fall from the sky one day, due to unknown failure...? Scared about that, and mostly because I dont want to kill or injure somebody or something else...

BTW, I was in vacation last week and driving on a highway... I was very surprised to see a mavic pro flying above the middle of the road, 10 ft height.... Wtf?? The Guy maybe wanted to crash it on a car or a truck!!??
People are insane...really!!! :( :(

Just wanted to share this little story about my lost lavic pro...
This winter, I was hiking on skis in chartreuse mountains during december 2017, and wanted to film a pass between cliffs, but it was very cold and I was hurried to put back m'y hands un my gloves...So I made a quick fly , without checking around...
And the nightmare arrived... As I was side travelling, I saw a tree Just in front of my mavic, so I immediately made it go up and stop travelling...but way too late.... It crashed in a tree, up there in the Cliff... :(
Big mistake !!!
I tried to recover it that day, but there were no safe access , but I was able to hear its recovering alarm pretty near, and located it with the find my drone option...
We came back to find it a week later, with all equipment needed, but there were more snow and the avalanche risk was very high...as we dont want to die, we decided to wait for spring to recover it safely ...
But winter season was long and snowy , good for skiing but not to SAR a drone...

We tried several times to find a good way to reach the supposed drone position (which probably fell down the tree due to wind...and could be anywhere in the Cliff)

But yesturday, we found it!!!
It was down a tree, and was very close to fall down all the Cliff!!
But it was here, after 6months spent up there in snow, rain, cold wind and Hugh températures...
The gimbal is out of the drone and hang with the wire , we didnt find the battery, (we'll go up there again to recover it)
A propeller is missing, outside screws are rusted, back right arm was blend , front left antenna shot and plastic is all burned, and a spider made its house inside...
I opened it, removing the top plate, and was surprised too see that apart from that spider, dust and pine spines, all was looking pretty good, no rust on weddings or components...
Camera seems to be out of order, the Lens looks all opaque ,but motors seems to move freely...

I'm hesitating to plug in a battery to see if it still works, but I'm scared about a short circuit that could damage battery...
Anyway, I'll keep it to have some change parts for my "new" mavic I bought Just after that crash...

I'm impressed about how it resisted against hard meteorological conditions...thought I discovered it completely dislocated ....

View attachment 43233View attachment 43234
Definite job for Thunder Drones

You are lucky as there is a Mavic Pro 2 waiting for you.

Mine crashed too 4 months ago but I could not wait as in my country we are migrating from GST back to SST and so had a tax holiday. So I got a replacement set at a good bargain. The 1st one bought last april was RM5600 and I got this new one at RM3400 with 3 batteries too.

Guess I will still fly and get the MP 2 later.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots