DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just sold my MP1 (decisions, decisions....)

98 SNAKE EATER

Reactions
I've had my MP1 listed on CL for quite some time now and after countless lowball offers, someone happily paid my asking price after a quick demo flight earlier today :cool:

So now I'm in the market for a replacement and having a hard time deciding ?

I've had my eye on an MP2 Zoom ever since it was released mainly due to the dolly zoom feature, but other than that, I've been more than happy with what my MP1 had to offer ?

Thing is, it's kinda hard to justify the higher price of the Zoom when the new MA2 fulfills most of my needs ?

A few questions for those that own or have played with both.....

1) Is the Dolly Zoom feature on the MP2 actually worth it?
I remember Active Track being a key feature when I picked up my MP1, but actually found myself rarely using it as I prefer to fly manually.
I kinda figure the same appeal of the Dolly Zoom might rub off after a few flights.

2) Is the MA2 compatible with DJI's goggles?
I actually sold my goggles with the MP1 today, but will be looking for a replacement and just want to confirm.

3) Will the MA2 be available as a combo with the Smart controller?

4) I mainly shoot in 1080p for YouTube, so either bird is way overkill for my needs camerawise, but given the choice between the two with roughly the same budget, would you rather have an MP2 Zoom or an MA2 with a smart controller?

I actually prefer the Zoom over the MP2
I'm not a pro and honestly can't tell the difference in video quality from my perspective, so the optical zoom would be of more use to me than the 1" sensor
Now whether or not that sole feature is worth the higher price over the MA2 is the question ?

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I went with the Zoom because I wanted, well, a zoom lense :) I also wanted a SC and OccuSync 2. Heck, I just wanted a new toy :)

I'm actually looking at a refurb zoom and SC combo, but have a few questions (cross posted in SC corum)

1) Can I still plug in my iPad to the Smart Controller to use as an auxiliary monitor?

2) Is the SC compatible with the MA2?

3) If I use the screen record mode on the SC, is the streamed footage still smooth or is it laggy?

To answer some questions,
MA2 does not work with goggles if I read the specs properly.
SC not compatible with the MA2.

Not sure about the 2nd screen, but I do believe that is possible.

I've done multiple screen recordings and have never noticed a lag.

To answer some questions,
MA2 does not work with goggles if I read the specs properly.
SC not compatible with the MA2.

OK, I was actually leaning towards saving some money and going with the MA2 until reading this (not good) :(

That being said, with the money saved by going with an MA2, I can probably pick up another MP1 specifically for goggle use ?

I've heard that DJI plans on updating the SC to work with the MA2, but have yet to see anything written in stone ?

Reactions: pelagic_one
I've had my MP1 listed on CL for quite some time now and after countless lowball offers, someone happily paid my asking price after a quick demo flight earlier today :cool:

So now I'm in the market for a replacement and having a hard time deciding ?

I've had my eye on an MP2 Zoom ever since it was released mainly due to the dolly zoom feature, but other than that, I've been more than happy with what my MP1 had to offer ?

Thing is, it's kinda hard to justify the higher price of the Zoom when the new MA2 fulfills most of my needs ?

A few questions for those that own or have played with both.....

1) Is the Dolly Zoom feature on the MP2 actually worth it?
I remember Active Track being a key feature when I picked up my MP1, but actually found myself rarely using it as I prefer to fly manually.
I kinda figure the same appeal of the Dolly Zoom might rub off after a few flights.

2) Is the MA2 compatible with DJI's goggles?
I actually sold my goggles with the MP1 today, but will be looking for a replacement and just want to confirm.

3) Will the MA2 be available as a combo with the Smart controller?

4) I mainly shoot in 1080p for YouTube, so either bird is way overkill for my needs camerawise, but given the choice between the two with roughly the same budget, would you rather have an MP2 Zoom or an MA2 with a smart controller?
I have the Mavic 2 Zoom with Smart Controller and love it. I have tried the Dolly zoom a few times, but it's really not a feature I use often. However I do use the zoom feature itself constantly, and really can't imagine not having the zoom feature now. Also, the M2 has a little more weight to it and is very stable in pretty windy conditions, (although it sounds like the air 2 is pretty good as well).

Reactions: Dakarenduro
Zoom is a Cool feature to have on a drone. expecially one thats not a 10,000$+ Matrice or Inspire. But it is not Worth Sacrificing a lot of quality to be able to zoom in very slightly. dolly zoom can be done with any camera simply by flying backwards and then zooming the video in afterwards. just look at any quality comparison, mostly in low light and you will notice the huge difference.
1605508726907.png

I believe the MA2 also does not use DJI Go 4 nor is it compatible with DJI GS Pro, it uses the new app DJI whatever it is LOL. Personally I would not have gotten rid of my MP1 but that’s too late now LOL. If I were you I would just wait a little longer and see what the Mavic3 has to offer. But if you buy low and sell high with your drones before new products come out you could probably get away with a temporary one until you see what the new ones are.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54