DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kauai from the Air

IShouldBeWorking

Reactions
My wife and I just returned from a trip to visit the islands of Oahu and Kauai. Under the guise of celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, I was able to get in 9 or so flights to shoot video of some amazing landscapes and stunning blue ocean. Oahu was far too busy to fly, but I loved the peaceful mountains, canyons, waterfalls and beaches of Kauai. Here's what I was able to put together. Hope you enjoy:

Shot with a Mavic 2 Pro
1/60 shutter and DLog10 with H.265 4k 30 fps
ND4 or ND16 filters depending on the sun
Edited together using DaVinci Resolve 16 Beta 4

Thanks! Glad you liked it! On Kauai, there is controlled airspace over by Lihue and over by the military base on the West side of the island. As a hobbyist, I just steered clear of those and stayed in class G space. Nobody said a word to me. The thing I'd suggest, is to have a friend act as a spotter for you. There were many, many low flying helicopter tours in those canyons. So having someone to watch out so you can get out of the way is a big help. But the scenery is breathtaking and the people are really relaxed. You'll have a wonderful time. Please share your photos and videos when you get back! I can't get enough of the place. So amazing!

Nice Vid with a few good shots, looks great there.
Some shots are overexposed or to less contrast, anyway good work.

Ciao Rob

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
Nice Vid with a few good shots, looks great there.
Some shots are overexposed or to less contrast, anyway good work.

Ciao Rob

Thanks! Yeah, the exposure in some of those shots was interesting. They looked alright until I applied a LUT. I should play with them a little more and see if I can dial it back.

Great video! Did you have any problems with anybody telling you that you couldn't fly? I'm going to Kauai on Saturday.

While there, consider taking a Zodiac trip around the north coast. They'll take you past where South Pacific was filmed, and into caves with fresh water waterfalls pouring down inside!

Great video! Did you have any problems with anybody telling you that you couldn't fly? I'm going to Kauai on Saturday.
You can't take off/land or operate from within any of the state parks. Otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

Reactions: Thomas B
My wife and I just returned from a trip to visit the islands of Oahu and Kauai. Under the guise of celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, I was able to get in 9 or so flights to shoot video of some amazing landscapes and stunning blue ocean. Oahu was far too busy to fly, but I loved the peaceful mountains, canyons, waterfalls and beaches of Kauai. Here's what I was able to put together. Hope you enjoy:

Shot with a Mavic 2 Pro
1/60 shutter and DLog10 with H.265 4k 30 fps
ND4 or ND16 filters depending on the sun
Edited together using DaVinci Resolve 16 Beta 4

Awesome shots!! My girlfriend and I will be visiting Big Island and Kauai in September. Any advice for flying over there?

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
Awesome shots!! My girlfriend and I will be visiting Big Island and Kauai in September. Any advice for flying over there?

Thanks! I'm jealous. I would love to go back soon. Each island has its own personality and I haven't hit the big island yet.

Two things I'd recommend now that I've flown on Kauai: Watch out for wind. It can be really strong and push your drone out to sea if you're flying over the beach. There were several spots I chose not to fly because I didn't think the drone would make it home because of the wind. The other one, I mentioned above, but watch out for helicopter tours. These were everywhere on Kauai and they fly pretty low. So I roped one or more friends into being a spotter to keep an eye out for for helicopters while my drone was in the air. Other than that, have a great time and be sure to share what you shoot after you go. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

Reactions: Ynksfan27
Now that would’ve been a good start, Hawaii???

Oh yeah! Hawaii is excellent! Especially for emptying your wallet. :D For a meetup, I'm thinking someplace further east for you and our other European friends. Maybe somewhere in the Caribbean? I wonder what countries are fairly drone friendly over there...

Reactions: Porky
I always go to Sint Maarten in the Caribbean once a year, I always take my drone and fly, could be a good starting point??

I always go to Sint Maarten in the Caribbean once a year, I always take my drone and fly, could be a good starting point??

Ooooh! Sint Maarten sounds amazing! Just give me about 10 years to save up the cash to go then we'll get something on the calendar. ? Wish I could make a trip like that yearly. Maybe once the kids are raised and out of the house. I swear, they're even more expensive than my drone addiction. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute