DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keep props from hitting each other, is this good?

What it does accomplish is to prevent the prop blades from folding back, so the tips are together, for transport or storage. In use, as Thomas B. says, it solves no problem as the blades stay apart naturally due to centrifugal force as soon as the motors start turning.

HI
Is there anything like this?
Is this good for MINI 2?

View attachment 125986
I assume you mean hitting each other on motor startup from the blades standing still when the motor first begins to spin. First off, I tend to agree with Thomas B. Otherwise centrifugal force will act on these tiny blades very quickly and force them out and away from each other almost instantly. While the devices you pictured seem pretty cool, my concern would be they restrict the free motion of the blades, this could set up potential vibration problems.
These tiny blades will have a finite lifespan under any circumstances and should be considered to be consumables. Any wear caused by running in to the blade pivot ahead or behind the blade(and I doubt they ever make contact one to the other) will likely be less than the wear caused from just flying.
I would need to see a high-speed video of the props starting to be sure, but if you are still worried about it, prior to startup, configure your propeller's blades like shown below. This way there is no "start-up slack" until the blades come up to speed and centrifugal force takes over.
But yeah, I consider this a non-issue. Not a bad initial thought though.

Attachments

• 1616216668494.jpg
    1616216668494.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210320_010241849.jpg
    IMG_20210320_010241849.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Methinks the OP has bought a 3D printer and doing market research?

Nothing wrong with that in itself but this example is 100% pointless, they’ll never fold in during flight and why would you want to stop them folding in for storage?
I look forward to the next design?

Reactions: Mavic 57
Why what?
great video, are the prop accessories need for fpv, if so why?
I do not have any real FPV experience, I have played with it a little and have seen some videos. So the following is speculative in nature. It seems that sometimes FPVers like to nose-down fall to the ground, say for instance after going over the top of a building or other high obstacle. During this time blade rotation speed may be inadequate for centrifugal force to keep the blades out against the wind, so the 3D printed part may help with FPV flying, but I do not think it is beneficial to the Mini 2 under normal use.

I also like the video, from a tinkerer and proof-of-concept point of view. A practical mod it is not.:)
But my entire world does not revolve around the pragmatic. "Just for fun" still rates high IMO.

It was revealing in that video watching the MM arms twist(torsion). An area definitely improved on in the Mini 2. While this mod was fun, I would think the flimsiness of the MM frame would make for a poor FPV drone and a major desire of FPVers, to have a cheap, easy to repair airframe, are completely absent in the MM FPV conversion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zbip57 and ICHOTT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J