DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping my trusty Mavic Pro vs Air 2s with old iPhone 6s...

HeliDog

Reactions
My MP1 works great with my old iPhone 6s. I was keen when the 6s was stated compatible with the Air 2s Fly app. The Uh-Ohs started popping up in several threads about temp issues and CPU overload using the Fly app. Now I'm reading more issues with the upper and rear sensor failures for whatever reasons. The lack of change log fixes with the updates is another pet peeve. So, for a better camera, I think after Christmas, maybe, depending what shakes out for the 2s. Or, I may just duct tape an external camera to my old stinky Mavic Pro since it still flies like a boss for LOS stuff. I hate to toss a good 6s phone just because the fly app is buggy or just a data hog? Opinions welcome! Apologise if this was covered in past discussions I missed.

I use Litchi with my 4 year old MP1 and 5 year old Samsung S7 Edge...this combo works well for me.

According to Litchi website, IOS 11.0 or later is required (which I believe your 6s will run). It will cost you to buy the software, but it may be an option for you to continue using 6s & MP1.

Reactions: HeliDog
The Fly app taxes the CPUs of older phones, I finally had to give up on my iPhone 7 and bought a Mini 5 tablet and an $8 adapter (which I love by the way). Works flawlessly.

Funny how DJI "tested" the iPhone 6s as compatible! On the new Fly app, the 6s is no longer listed. I have a 2020 SE but not interested, at this time, to dedicate SE phone to Fly. Since I can no longer trust DJI, other drones are being considered if price and camera upgrade worth it. Thx

Reactions: projectarjun
My SE2 works great with the fly app, but the app fails to connect with my drone via an iPad Air 4 unless I uninstall reinstall the app

Last edited:
Went ahead and bought the Costco 2 battery bundle so will test on my SE 2020 (A13 chip). I already have bags and will use 3rd party charger and polarizers. A third battery, down the road, if needed with just a spare set of props. Me fly cheap and baby my birds ;) My MP1 will just keep old 6s. I noticed used ipad mini 5 seem to be in tight supply so looking for one if the 2s warrants after Christmas. Cheers

The Fly app taxes the CPUs of older phones, I finally had to give up on my iPhone 7 and bought a Mini 5 tablet and an $8 adapter (which I love by the way). Works flawlessly.
I only get the max CPU message on my iPhone 7+ around take off and never see the message again.

I installed the new version of Fly on a new-to-me iPhone 6s and got the overload message, which I don't get on my iPad Mini 4 with the previous version of Fly. I've been meaning to put phone in airplane mode before launch and trying again, but haven't made the time.

My hope with the new phone was to use it for my Mavic Mini so I don't have to carry a bulkier tablet all the time, but between my making the decision and getting the phone DJI apparently updated Fly for the Mavic 3 and I can no longer get the older version. Which sucks for me :-(

• Sad
I only get the max CPU message on my iPhone 7+ around take off and never see the message again.
That would be the A10 chipset, my old 6s was the A9. If Costco ever delivers my Air2s, I'm hoping DJI does not kill my SE 2020 compatibility (not listed), LOL, same as the listed iPhone 11.

Mine would do the same...at first. I finally had to give up on my iPhone 7 but that was more a battery issue I believe. It would go from 100% to shutting down over and over again. I finally broke down and recently picked up an iPhone 13 Pro but since I have the Mini, there's no reason to use it to fly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique