DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping the propellers on

RealSting

Reactions
Q. Is it a good idea to keep the propellers on?

Some say it’s not a good idea to keep the springs (under the propellers) in perpetual tension, but I’m thinking is there actually any more stress taking the things on and off every time one uses it? Must admit, I’ve only had my drone a week, but I can see it being a pain to keep taking these props on and off on location.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yaros
After years with Phantoms and Mavics I have never took them off. JMO.
Have never had any issues.

have always removed them after a flying session on my MPP ,for storage in my hard case
never had any issues doing that
2 reasons i remove them
(1) to check that all the attachment lugs are ok
(2) its easier to check overall condition of the props and the pivot points on the hub when they are removed, and to also blow out any debris that might have gotten into the motors with my air puffer

I've left my OEM props on ever since I was finished experimenting after buying a used MPP kit last April. In the kit was a set of MAS orange props, one full set of OEM MP1 props, and several sets of OEM MPP props... I see no need to take them off and put them back on every time I fly.

Some say it’s not a good idea to keep the springs (under the propellers) in perpetual tension
Never heard that. I think there is more stress to the springs if you constantly remove and put them back on.
I always left my propellers on the drone, the only exception is when I'm transporting it in a plane.

Reactions: Pedwards
Agree with all above who just leave them on - I can assure you that the springs are made of a material which is designed to do what it does in situ.

You don’t relieve the spring tension on your car wheels and unless one (unusually) gets broken, they never lose their ‘spring ability’ either, so same principle.

Those who do remove/replace do it for their own reasons and not because it’s an actual technical advantage nor a DJI recommendation.

Once the props are twisted into the lock position, that tension is gone anyway. I think you are just getting past the lock and that is the only time the spring is depressed.

Im with Old Man Mavic, I usually remove the props and check the lugs, the hinges and the integrity of the props. These are cheap mass produced bits of plastics that are incredibly well made but they are vital to safe flight. It’s like telling a pilot you’ve never had water in the carb., never had a cracked propellor, never left the pitot cover on etc. It maybe true that you’ve never had the issues, but the purpose of a well designed checklist is to ensure you continue to never have a problem and don’t end up being the person on this forum asking why my drone fell out of the sky after dozens of hours of safe flight.

I see the wisdom of response #9 above, but after 100’s of flights, I personally have never taken them off other than to periodically inspect them.

Reactions: Faster
Thank you everyone, that’s a relief! Old Man Mavic makes a good point also.

Any recommendations on some good prop straps or guards or whatever they’re called, for when storing the drone in the bag?

this any good?CC08D830-B82F-4790-8E0D-FD1FF4DC025B.jpeg

cheers.

Last edited:
Q. Is it a good idea to keep the propellers on?

Some say it’s not a good idea to keep the springs (under the propellers) in perpetual tension, but I’m thinking is there actually any more stress taking the things on and off every time one uses it? Must admit, I’ve only had my drone a week, but I can see it being a pain to keep taking these props on and off on location.
In that case you should jack your car up every time you park. lol

The only thing to concern yourself with when keeping the props on is that you don't allow them to become distorted in storage. Extended time bend in a a different position will set in and then you can expect problems. The Mini 2 has a cradle that helps prevent distortion. I have a special way of storing my Mavic 2 so as not to introduce distortion in some of the cases. For those of us who ski, we understand the concept when we get lazy and store our ski boots over-night with the buckles unbuckled and suffer having to reshape the way the buckles close. Plastics that have performance standards like propellers much be kept free of storage distortion regardless of whether you leave them on or take them off. I only had that issues with a set of Mini 1 props a couple years ago and learn my lesson.

Reactions: RealSting
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR