DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kudos to DJI Mavic Pro 2

Paul2660

Reactions
There are plenty of videos and channel bait out there, but I wanted to pass on as a mainly Still photographer, working into Video, that with the Mavic Pro 2 DJI got it right.

After the first 2 hours of setup, which always for some reason make me nervous which included:

Firmware update to drone and controller, (done via DJI assistant for Mavic 2) Controller via Djigo4
Activation, (hung for a bit but did take)
Battery charging, may have made a few mistakes in moving to the multiple charger first. But still working that out.
IMU and compass calibration

All done and worked flawless.

Flight:

Drone is solid, quiet, to me as quiet as the MPP. Control are great and flow from DJIGO4 on iPad 10.5" was great. No compass issues and or map issues. No hover or yaw drift (as with P4 Pro Vr 2.0). Net flight characteristics are excellent. I was able to get my mavmount 3.0 to fit, however the rubber holders for the sticks get in the way and keep it from a totally solid mount at least for me. Could resolve with grinding a bit. But it works. CS still has no support odds are won't for a while. But tired my PolarPro CS mount and it will not fit as well, as the rubber holders for sticks keep the mount from getting a good secure mount under the lip of the controller. Can be used but I would use a lanyard.
Only flew it around my yard, so up 400 feet and about 100 feet to 400 feet away. Will get out for a distance test later.

Camera:

I have to say that there are some improvements over the P4 Pro Vr 2.0. I assumed same sensor, same results. All shot raw. Opened in Lightroom. Lightroom sees the files fine, I picked a color profile from the list and worked from there.

Color is impressive, DR is a bit better than the P4 Pro to me. Highlights are way better controlled and you can now expose to the right and not risk blowing out your clouds and sky. I would say about 1.5 stops of range maybe a bit more. Details are good, from F 3.5 to F 6.3 and past you start to see diffraction issues, but up to F8 you can control with sharpening. Noise .5 stop to possibly 1 stop cleaner than what I was seeing in my P4 Pro Vr 2.0. Too bad DJI will not allow a great bracketing stop that .7 as you still need that full -1.34 to 1.34 range. Saturation and color and shadow push are very nice. Lens appears to hold good details full frame 3:2.

Overall, I have to say it's a huge photographic improvement over the MPP. I will defer to the video experts to run on Video.

Paul C

Yep. Honestly, you remove every other upgrade from the 2 Pro bar the camera, and it’s still a huge update. After all, it’s a flying CAMERA.

I'm about 90% stills on my drone so thats why I didn't even hesitate on upgrading. My first drone was P3P then I bought the Mavic Air because it was basically a better P3P in a folding size. It's been good. Now the MP2 fits the bill for everything I could need. I never upgraded the P3P until the MA came out so I skipped the 1" P4P because I knew I wanted folding small size.

Mine is out for delivery today so I'm happy. P3P and MA will be up for sale for whatever I can get and now the MP2 will be something I keep for several years forward.

I'm about 90% stills on my drone so thats why I didn't even hesitate on upgrading. My first drone was P3P then I bought the Mavic Air because it was basically a better P3P in a folding size. It's been good. Now the MP2 fits the bill for everything I could need. I never upgraded the P3P until the MA came out so I skipped the 1" P4P because I knew I wanted folding small size.

Mine is out for delivery today so I'm happy. P3P and MA will be up for sale for whatever I can get and now the MP2 will be something I keep for several years forward.

Yep I’m 90% stills, too. I just dabble with the video.

The nighttime quality is what I'm excited for. Sure it's no SLR or anything but the P3P/MA has really poor ISO handling for night shots. I still use it but the 1" sensor is going to help massively.

One other note, The card removal slot cold have been done a bit better. I love the way DJI created the doors, but when you pop out the card or insert it, with a big finger you can't get the card to seat (not as hard as getting it out). Once you pop it I really can't get enough firm grip to get it out, so now have added a small pair of tweezers to my kit.

Paul C

The mavic air is the exact same way. I have fat fingers so it makes it difficult.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_