DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC, 5-mile Airport Rule, and KittyHawk/Airmap Discrepancies

Ars3nal3432

Reactions
I live within roughly 4 miles of a small airport, . When I use the Kittyhawk or Airmap to request LAANC, my location is just outside of the airport blue circle. So I'm confused, I thought that if I was within 5 miles of an airport I would be able and need to request LAANC.

The only workaround I have found is to use Airmap, draw a flight path goes into the blue circle and also around my location to be able to request LAANC. KittyHawk won't even let me request it.

Reactions: E90RAW
The "5 mile rule" was the rule in practice when you had to call the airport. Now, you need to use LAANC to fly in controlled (class B-E airspace). Generally, around a small airport with a tower will be Class D airspace for 4 NM. Class B or C generally extends 5 miles (at the surface, longer at altitude) form an airport. Note that if the airport only runs for certain hours it might be class E or G in certain times. So, if you are just over 4 miles from a Class D airport, you probably are good to go.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The airport is Class D. What I don't understand is why the blue circles on both kittyhawk and airmap are less than 4NM or 5 miles.

It's not exact 4NM (which is about 4.5 miles) always. There's a formula whoever designates the airspace can use (which includes the adding the distance from the mid-point of the airport to the end of the runway and then adding the distance to take a normal climb to 700 feet). This may make it smaller -- I guess--( would have to be really short runways) or longer. Also, there can be cut-outs of the space for airfields without a tower or an extension on one side for approach. Finally, this is measured from a center point or other designated point of the airport -- and unless you know where that is (I believe it is published), you don't know where to measure your distance from.

The point is, it is either controlled airspace, in which you need authorization, or it is not. The most official data is in the sectionals, but you don't get the level of accuracy you need to determine exactly where the controlled airspace ends. The next best thing are the apps. You have 2 apps telling you that your location is not Class D. That's probably better than anyone's guess at a measurement.

It's not exact 4NM (which is about 4.5 miles) always. There's a formula whoever designates the airspace can use (which includes the adding the distance from the mid-point of the airport to the end of the runway and then adding the distance to take a normal climb to 700 feet). This may make it smaller -- I guess--( would have to be really short runways) or longer. Also, there can be cut-outs of the space for airfields without a tower or an extension on one side for approach. Finally, this is measured from a center point or other designated point of the airport -- and unless you know where that is (I believe it is published), you don't know where to measure your distance from.

The point is, it is either controlled airspace, in which you need authorization, or it is not. The most official data is in the sectionals, but you don't get the level of accuracy you need to determine exactly where the controlled airspace ends. The next best thing are the apps. You have 2 apps telling you that your location is not Class D. That's probably better than anyone's guess at a measurement.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm primarily concerned with letting the tower know that I am flying a drone above my house because planes have flown directly overhead from time to time. Granted they are most likely 1000ft or high. One more curveball though. I had to unlock a geo zone last night through DJI to fly. So DJI thinks I'm in class D, but KittyHawk and AirMap don't. Maybe I'm so close to the border that I should continue my method of requesting LAANC through AIRMAP by drawing into the designated airspace. Worse comes to worse I do a little extra work and the tower knows about my operations... In the end everyone is safer

The 5 mile rule hasn't existed for at least two years now. As other replies said, you just need to seek authorization for controlled airspace.

The 5 mile rule hasn't existed for at least two years now. As other replies said, you just need to seek authorization for controlled airspace.

My issue is the DJI controller thinks I am and according to the Kittyhawk and Airmap Im not. So Im not sure if I need LAANC authorization.

My issue is the DJI controller thinks I am and according to the Kittyhawk and Airmap Im not. So Im not sure if I need LAANC authorization.

DJI tries, but isn't authoritative when it comes to US airspace regulations. If you are sure you are outside controlled airspace (as depicted by Airmap or Kittyhawk), then you are free to fly. (you might just have to click the option in the DJI app that says you are authorized to fly there)

Reactions: Ars3nal3432
DJI actually went to their own (actually, their partner's) authorization and unlock zones. They do not match airspace class. In some cases (in the direction of the runway's) they may be longer than the airspace and in others, shorter. DJI's zones are pretty good for making sure you don't fly in airport traffic patterns. Not great to match to controlled airspace.

You can compare, go see the maps at DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography and compare to airmap or even the sectionals at vfrmap.com

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada