DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC pink zone understanding using "Air Control"

Aengineerdu

Reactions
I'm returning to flying after a year's break, using the "Air Control" app for LAANC authorization (Part 107 license) for my M4P. I live in the city of Philadelphia with PHL (on LAANC list) about 4 mi away. The area where I live is pink on the map with the message "LAANC may not be available for the planned operational area" whenever I submit for authorization. There are blue areas actually closer to the airport where I can get authorization. I want to be able to fly in the parks near me.
How should I understand the pink map and message? Not at all possible?
What should I do to get authorization?

Thanks

A screenshot of the area from the app would help us help you.

The pink I am currently seeing is due to a Presidential TFR, but there is also a DOD NSUFR that would appear pink that is a no go for automatic LAANC approvals. You would have to apply through FAA DroneZone.

Reactions: Aengineerdu
I have explored the layers of the "Air Control" app and now realize that the pink area I asked about is indeed a TFR in my case. When that is not in effect the area I'm interested in is not in controlled airspace, so I am clear to fly with the normal limits.

I was surprised to realize that the area under consideration is not controlled airspace. I would have thought a dense urban area would be controlled, but now I realize that the FAA controlled areas are mostly based on airports without concern for low level drones. When I look at the map for NYC, for instance, I see that lower Manhattan is uncontrolled airspace. Wow.

Unfortunately you cannot launch/land in NYC without a city issued permit even from your own property. A major case of local government overreach.

Reactions: mavictk
I'm returning to flying after a year's break, using the "Air Control" app for LAANC authorization (Part 107 license) for my M4P. I live in the city of Philadelphia with PHL (on LAANC list) about 4 mi away. The area where I live is pink on the map with the message "LAANC may not be available for the planned operational area" whenever I submit for authorization. There are blue areas actually closer to the airport where I can get authorization. I want to be able to fly in the parks near me.
How should I understand the pink map and message? Not at all possible?
What should I do to get authorization?

Thanks
In pulling up the PHL area in the FAA's UAS Data Map (ArcGIS Web Application), the only light red areas I see are directly on the airport itself. We need to see a screenshot of the area. Was there a TFR at the time you were trying to fly? That may also cause that.

Reactions: mavictk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoffreyBH