DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lake Norman are (near Charlotte, NC)

RNB4TLA

Reactions
New Mavic Pro owner (and to flying). Interested in finding places to safely fly and learn.

Reactions: JayNC
QUOTE="RNB4TLA, post: 446659, member: 56979"]New Mavic Pro owner (and to flying). Interested in finding places to safely fly and learn.[/QUOTE]

Hiya. New Mavic Platinum owner also!
I'm over in Kings Mountain. We have an RC aerodrome for planes and drones. (Lewis Brooks Field)
There's a nice one over in Huntersville (David B. Waymer Aeromodeler Flying Field)
(http://www.charmeck.org/mecklenburg...rksByRegion/Documents/DBWaymerFlyingField.pdf ).
There's several other aerodromes (some just over border in SC)....just do a google map search for "RC FIELDS IN MY AREA" and it should list them.

There's plenty of good flying land all over. You just need to get away from CLT airport....that's a pretty big NFZ area.

Jay
My RC's
Mavic Platinum
Phantom 3
T-MAXX 3.0
Stampede VXL

Thanks Jay, From what I read online, looks like I have to become a member of AMA ($75), then buy a Park Pass ($32.50) for the park in order to fly there. That sound right?

Hello. I just got a Mavic Pro also and live on the Denver side of Lake Norman. I'm also looking for good places to fly in the area. There is a 'Drones Charlotte' meetup every Saturday at the old Knights Stadium in Fort Mill, SC but I haven't made it down there yet but that sounds like a neat place to fly.

Reactions: ghostdancer
Boating inputs or accesses around the lakes shouldn't give you any problems for flying as long as they're not in controled airspace. I live in Hickory and I fly at all of the boating inputs on Lake hickory without any problems.

Reactions: TimFlex
Boating inputs or accesses around the lakes shouldn't give you any problems for flying as long as they're not in controled airspace. I live in Hickory and I fly at all of the boating inputs on Lake hickory without any problems.

Also from Hickory area. Don’t a lot of these fall in restricted airspace except for the NE area closer to the Conover side? Any other suggestions for areas you’ve found interesting around town?

Some do and some don't so if you're flying in restricted airspace make sure you give the hickory regional airport a call especially if you're within two miles of the airport which is what they told me before I got my authorization that they were only concerned if you're close by the airport within a couple miles. Hickory airport are really nice and laid back crew.

If you're part 107 then you need an authorization before flying within hickory's class D airspace

I have 107, just recently obtained. I was going to file for waiver/authorization but with LAANC starting in September don’t see the point. Working on a night waiver now. Was denied for first one.

Reactions: ghostdancer
Here's a hint for the daylight waiver, they want you to make a PDF test on night time illusions that you will be giving your visual observers. This was the one thing that kept me from being approved for the wavier but I finally figured it out lol. Lighting, night illusions, everything you'll do to keep your operation as safe as possible from checklist to Geo fencing etc... good luck you'll get it [emoji1365]

I am on the North portion of Lake Norman on the East side (by I-77). We have an small airport up here (Lake Norman) which is class E air space. They do not have a tower.

If you are going to fly over the lake, be careful. We occasionally have a seaplane that may land, and several others that like to go low over the lake.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803