DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Land in place when running out of battery

gow7

Reactions
Hello,

Let's say I want to take my Mavic to an indoor climbing warehouse. I've access when it's closed so its safe, I won't harm people. I want to set Mavic at a desired hight and let it there until it runs out of battery.
The warehouse is tall but it's not 20m (min RTH height). I wonder if it just lands, (no battery? ok I'll do just a vertical landing) is it possible?

Thanks.

As long as the Mavic is flying in ATTI mode (no GPS), it'll auto land at its current location when the battery reaches the critically low level.

If it never acquires a home point, I think (don't know, but think) that it won't try to return to home without a GPS signal, since that would mean it would have no home point or idea of where it currently is.

As long as the Mavic is flying in ATTI mode (no GPS), it'll auto land at its current location when the battery reaches the critically low level.

Can we force it to fly in ATTI even if it has GPS lock?

If it never acquires a home point, I think (don't know, but think) that it won't try to return to home without a GPS signal, since that would mean it would have no home point or idea of where it currently is.

But if for some reason it acquires GPS, I'm "doomed" right?

But if for some reason it acquires GPS, I'm "doomed" right?
No not necessarily. In DJIGo4, go to Settings > Aircraft Battery, and turn off Smart Return Home. This will prevent it from attempting a Low Battery RTH should it gain GPS. You would also want to set MC>Advanced Settings > RC Signal Lost, to Landing or Hover & not the default RTH. Anything to prevent RTH which is your enemy in this scenario.

No not necessarily. In DJIGo4, go to Settings > Aircraft Battery, and turn off Smart Return Home. This will prevent it from attempting a Low Battery RTH should it gain GPS. You would also want to set MC>Advanced Settings > RC Signal Lost, to Landing or Hover & not the default RTH. Anything to prevent RTH which is your enemy in this scenario.

Makes sense :)
So if Mavic has Low Battery and no position to return to home or Smart RTH, it will perform a vertical landing right where he is, right? Must try this.

Yes that should be the case.
Additionally, setting the MC>Advanced Settings > RC Signal Lost, to Landing will cover the case of the RC battery going flat or you powering it off inadvertently and triggering an unwanted RTH.

Reactions: gow7
I fly in Smart RTH and have it set to RTH. As for the battery reaching the Critical Low point, it does not matter what setting the aircraft is in, it will stop flight and land. If you have it set at 10% and are at a higher altitude at the time it will begin the decent early before reaching the set 10%.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf