DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Landing ??

Smerz

Reactions
Hey today I did the return to home and when the bird came down it landed really hard and fast that my sunshade came off is there a setting in the app that I changed by mistake or do I have to calibrate the IMU or something like that thanks for the help much appreciated

There are no settings to soften the landing. The best thing you can do is cancel the auto landing before the aircraft makes it to the ground and manually finish the landing.

Thanks it just seemed weird becauseevery other landing before this the drone would get close and then laying very slow and nice and this time it just came straight down from about 20 feet without slowing down this was the first time it did that so I thought maybe something got changed when I was doing the IMU calibration I never completed it because the app crashed on me maybe I should try that again?

It could have been something as simple as the sensors were not able to accurately detect the ground during that landing. But, sure, you could try calibrating the IMU. That certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

I'm an idiot lol I had the landing sensors off because I was practicing catching the drone the other day I never turn them back on that's why it landed so hard but I did the IMU and compass and turn the sensors back on and everything was fine

Reactions: Bobvt
I watched a few YouTube videos and they said it was easier if you turn them off to hand catch so I that's what I did I never forgot to turn them back on I guess I'll try doing it with them on this way that doesn't happen again thanks for the info

I watched a few YouTube videos and they said it was easier if you turn them off to hand catch so I that's what I did I never forgot to turn them back on I guess I'll try doing it with them on this way that doesn't happen again thanks for the info
Just let it settle into your hand. It may fly up slightly as your hand approaches underneath it. Let it stabilize while keeping your catching hand still, then just lower it down.

When I am practicing a hand catch I leave that setting window open after I turn off the landing sensor (I prefer not having to approach a drone that might do an altitude jump, just feels better to me). Then once I am done and I have set the drone down I look back at the screen and turn them on before closing that setting screen. That way I don't have to remember to turn it back on before next flight. I never veer from this so that it will become engrained as habit.

Just what works for me. Just find your own way and make it a habit.

Reactions: Bobvt
I'm an idiot lol I had the landing sensors off because I was practicing catching the drone the other day I never turn them back on that's why it landed so hard but I did the IMU and compass and turn the sensors back on and everything was fine

Do not turn those off for hand catches - 3 seconds down on the left stick will disable them and then the drone will drop down like a feather into your hand. There is no normal scenario I am aware of where you would want the downward sensors off.

Reactions: AeroForce1
Hey today I did the return to home and when the bird came down it landed really hard and fast that my sunshade came off is there a setting in the app that I changed by mistake or do I have to calibrate the IMU or something like that thanks for the help much appreciated

Do you have landing protection turned on? Are the downward sensors turned on?
Is the VPS reading a correct altitude when within range of the ground?
What sort of surface was it trying to land on?

You really need to watch the thing at all times and have a finger on the pause or other button on the controller to take over the second it looks like something isnt right. Never just trust it to fly and land without being aware you may need to intervene.

FWIW i have landing protection off all the time on mine but that doesnt stop it slowing prior to landing.

I would think that without downward sensors enabld, as it approaches takeoff altitude it would slow decent. However I have noticed altitude drift down, so it may reach ground sooner than it expects.

No reason to ever turn them off. Hand catching is easy even with them on.
+1

Yesterday evening, it was pretty dark when my MA came in to land, but it stopped at the "slow down" 1.5 meters, and just hovered there.

Having seen videos of folk grabbing them, that's what I did. Just walked up to it, grabbed it from below, flipped it upside down to kill the motors, and it was ready to be shutdown.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datkin